Xeda112358 wrote:
Thank.

I'm not having an easy time of this one Neutral

It may be useful to note that Hamlet would not have put calculators on his salad.
jonbush wrote:
For all those who are waiting:

Challenge 3: OEEJCYKL WK AU LTMY L WXOJWN

Is this the official challenge 3? Why hasn't Kerm posted an update in the news?
jonbush wrote:
Xeda112358 wrote:
Thank.

I'm not having an easy time of this one :|

It may be useful to note that Hamlet would not have put calculators on his salad.

Can't tell if this is a clue, or if you're just trying to mess with us.
Yeah, I'm still super lost XD
It's definitely a clue. Wink Here's what I just front-paged about the challenge. Note the line about the hint to be published on Friday:
Quote:
For the past two Tuesdays, we have announced increasingly difficult challenges as part of Cemetech Contest #15: Crypto Golfing. This five-part contest tasks programmers with solving cryptography puzzles, then creating programs that can decode messages in the cipher used for each challenge. We received an overwhelming number of entries written in many different calculator and computer languages for Challenges 1 and 2, although the field has started to thin. Since another Tuesday is upon us, Challenge 3 of Cemetech Contest #15 is here! If you haven't started entering the contest yet or if you haven't completed one of the existing challenges, you still have time, and the only thing you'll lose is the (up to) 5 bonus points you get by submitting your solutions quickly. Challenge 3 is the last pure-text cipher, and if you're still stuck with it on Friday, we'll be publishing an extra hint on Friday afternoon at 5pm, Eastern Time.

Challenge 3: OEEJCYKL WK AU LTMY L WXOJWN

Good luck! To repeat the incentive, besides prestige and glory: a TI-Nspire CX and a TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition await the top two contestants.

Well, I'm back from vacation.
Is it too late to enter an entry for the second one? I was gone while it was posted and now that I am back, there are 3 Surprised
andressevilla wrote:
Well, I'm back from vacation.
Is it too late to enter an entry for the second one? I was gone while it was posted and now that I am back, there are 3 Surprised
Sometimes I think I write our news articles to exercise my fingers. Wink Yes, you can still enter.
KermMartian wrote:
If you haven't started entering the contest yet or if you haven't completed one of the existing challenges, you still have time, and the only thing you'll lose is the (up to) 5 bonus points you get by submitting your solutions quickly.
*bump* Contest #15 hint time:
You wouldn't put calculators on your salad
I still can't figure it out, although I've tried too many things. Sad
Noting how much people are struggling with Challenge 3 and with jonbush's agreement, we have decided to release one additional hint at this time: Challenges 1 to 3 have all used ciphers that can be found in the "Classical Cryptography" template on Wikipedia. A special congratulations to the >=2 contestants who solved the challenge before this hint!
Do "special congratulations" count as bonus points? Razz

Also, what's a "pure-text" cipher? Will future ciphers include some sort of graphics?
lirtosiast wrote:

Also, what's a "pure-text" cipher?

A pure-text cipher is just that: Text. Nothing else.
lirtosiast wrote:
Also, what's a "pure-text" cipher? Will future ciphers include some sort of graphics?
I think that would be something with numbers, like RSA, DES or whatever.
caleb1997 wrote:
lirtosiast wrote:

Also, what's a "pure-text" cipher?

A pure-text cipher is just that: Text. Nothing else.
Simplistic answer or not, the gentleman is correct. Future ciphers, including the one to be released tomorrow, will not be just text.

lirtosiast wrote:
Do "special congratulations" count as bonus points? Razz
I think the special bonus points would come in the form of the non-zero points you get, compared to the zero that some entrants will get for the challenges they were unable to complete. Sad
*bump* The second-to-last challenge is here, and I think it's one that you guys will have fun with. Instead of providing a ciphertext for Challenge 4, we are providing a 95x63-pixel monochrome image (of an Enigma machine!) in three formats: .8xi, .8ci, and .png. Solutions must take at least one of those formats and produce a plaintext (not image) output from the image. Programmers working on the color calculators can assume that any .8ci passed to the program will also only have black and white pixels in the top-left 95x63 pixels of the image, and those writing computer programs should only look at the top 95x63 pixels of any image passed to the program. As with the previous challenge, we will publish a clue on Friday afternoon at 5pm ET, but we encourage you to try to solve it before Friday to earn maximum points.

Challenge 4:

Download:
Contest #15, Challenge 4 input image (PNG)
Contest #15, Challenge 4 input image (8xi)
Contest #15, Challenge 4 input image (8ci)

This challenge sounds weird, but interesting. For BASIC, may we assume that the image is already loaded at the graphscreen, so that you can access it with pxl-Test( ?
No, you need to load it yourself. You can assume it'll always be in Pic2, though.

Edit: Sorry, slight change. Smile You can assume that the image is already loaded to the graph screen; otherwise people would also have to add something like "Func:FnOff :AxesOff:PlotsOff :ClrDraw:RecallPic 2" to make sure that it always works. Other languages don't require that.
Can you get the plaintext directly from the image, or should people implement another cipher too?
Steganography?
PT_ wrote:
Can you get the plaintext directly from the image, or should people implement another cipher too?

Stavorius wrote:
Steganography?

Both of these questions ask roughly the same thing, something I can't answer. I can only suggest that you think of ways to get letters (or numbers you can equate to letters) out of the image, and see what you get.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours