What about C, C# and Lua for computers?
I recommend that you set a consistent input/output format for entries.

In TI-BASIC, are we allowed to display the characters in the decoded text one per line? Can we take input in Ans?

In Python, is a function valid?

In both caregories, are we allowed to exit with an error after printing the correct output?
Muessigb wrote:
C is considered C++ for the purposes of this contest. Do you actually want to submit C# and Lua entries?
lirtosiast wrote:
I recommend that you set a consistent input/output format for entries.

In TI-BASIC, are we allowed to display the characters in the decoded text one per line? Can we take input in Ans?
The convention I've seen so far is input via Input, output via Disp or Output. I'd recommend using that.

Quote:
In Python, is a function valid?
Something like input() and print would be best.

Quote:
In both caregories, are we allowed to exit with an error after printing the correct output?
No. Programs that generate errors, crashes, and exceptions will be counted the same as programs that do not correctly decode test input.
KermMartian wrote:
Muessigb wrote:
C is considered C++ for the purposes of this contest. Do you actually want to submit C# and Lua entries?

Yes, I was actually thinking about using either C, C# or Lua.
Quote:
Programs that generate errors, crashes, and exceptions will be counted the same as programs that do not correctly decode test input.

Does "test input" mean the example, or do you have additional test cases?
lirtosiast wrote:
Quote:
Programs that generate errors, crashes, and exceptions will be counted the same as programs that do not correctly decode test input.

Does "test input" mean the example, or do you have additional test cases?
Additional test cases will be used to make sure the program works for different input. No test case will exceed 99 characters.
I am interested in participating in this competition, but I have a few questions. How will I know if I have solved the cipher, is it a classic cipher e.g. Caesar, or Vigenere? Also, do I understand correctly that 68k calc's are not allowed for this challenge?
sub5 wrote:
I am interested in participating in this competition, but I have a few questions. How will I know if I have solved the cipher, is it a classic cipher e.g. Caesar, or Vigenere?
You'll recogniez recognize the plaintext if you successfully decode it.
Quote:
Also, do I understand correctly that 68k calc's are not allowed for this challenge?
That's correct. Unfortunately, it's a logistical issue: not all of the judges have 68k calculators.
Ok, I'll give it a try.
KermMartian wrote:
The convention I've seen so far is input via Input, output via Disp or Output. I'd recommend using that.

Ans does seem easiest for the calc languages, especially for assembly, so for that reason I used it for each entry Neutral
How is the encrypted message inputted? Just a variable inside the program?
Snektron wrote:
How is the encrypted message inputted? Just a variable inside the program?

Either via Input or whatever, or in Ans.
And how is the calculator source code size judged? (is the vat header included like in the caclulator's memory menu?)
The size of the program would be that in the Memory Menuy - 9 - length_of_program_name. So if my program is prgmA and the Memory Menu says 78, it would be 78-9-1=68.
Thanks Smile
I guess the Axe header is not counted either?
I'm happy to announce that another Tuesday is upon us, so Challenge 2 of Cemetech Contest #15 is also here! If you haven't completed Challenge 1 yet, you still have time, and the only thing you'll lose is the (up to) 5 bonus points you get by submitting your solutions quickly. Challenge 2 adds a few additional rules that we learned from seeing how people worked with Challenge 1:
  • For Challenges 2 and 3, TI-BASIC, Axe, and Assembly programs should take the ciphertext in Ans and return the decoded plaintext in Ans as well.
  • For Challenges 2 and 3, computer programs should take input from stdin and return output to stdout.
  • If there are any constants or keys that affect how a particular cipher works (for example, the offset in a Caesar cipher), these should be defined in a modifiable way in the source, so that someone with the source code could change those constants without needing to modify anything else in the program.

Challenge 2: VPUOUGHUVYUOOSIUWOPSTTEPMRWNSEOBHMYGUYUVUGP

Good luck!
If you haven't figured out Challenge 2 yet, here's a hint:

%26
jonbush wrote:
If you haven't figured out Challenge 2 yet, here's a hint:

%26
I'm Kerm Martian and I approve of this message. Very Happy Good luck, everyone. I notice we haven't quite gotten as many entries as for the first challenge, so I hope everyone who is stuck on this one (or forgot to enter so far this week) will redouble their efforts.
For all those who are waiting:

Challenge 3: OEEJCYKL WK AU LTMY L WXOJWN
Thank.

I'm not having an easy time of this one Neutral

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours