I've been working on a game for a while now, currently called "Pirate Adventures" (Please note, the extremely lame name is subject to change, please post better name ideas below. Wink ).
It is a game where you drive your pirate ship around the ocean, explore randomly generating islands, and fight randomly placed enemies. As of now the GIF I will show isn't the most recent version, I have one that currently has an enemy that shoots you. But it has a few major bugs that I want to fix, so I can show it tommorrow or maybe the next day.

This is how the game looks as of now There are quite a few graphical bugs in the gif, but they only occur on jusTIfied :

Also I plan to remove the animation for shooting, and replace it with just and explosion on the boat the cannon hits.

Todo list:
Random map generation: Done (as of now there are only 3 possible Island formations, but I plan to implement many more. This will be done easily, as I will probably only have to make the maps and change one line of code)
Shooting: Done, but likely to be changed.
Enemy Movement/attacking enemies Done, except in need of bug fixes.
Another form of attacking? I haven't started on this yet, but I think another type of attack would make the game more interesting. Maybe if you could go up next to a ship and press 5 to send you pirates to attack onto their ship? It would do more damage, but be more difficult to use? Not too sure about this one.
More of a story? Not even started, I want my game to have more of a story though. It needs to feel more like you are a pirate.

123outerme already came up with an idea similar-ish to this before me, but I was informed he no longer planned to work it before I posted this. Please note I came up with this idea before I heard about aqu-wars, so please don't hate!

(also please note this is my first bigish project, so if it turns out as a fail, sorry)
I plan to have a download soon!
Please leave feedback!
Once Doors CE (and thus xLIB) are out I will be sure to try this!
I've just finished the enemy attacking (and you attacking back). It is somewhat bugged at the moment, but I think I've made enough progress to post again. (Most of this was done before, just it was so messed up that a GIF would have been useless.

This is how the enemy attacking looks now. It runs super slow on jusTIfied, so it is kind of hard to play. I want to make new sprites for enemy boats as well, just I haven't gotten around to changing the sprite sheet.

To shoot, you use the number pad (2,4,6,8 ).

Also, I got rid of the cannonball flying across the screen animation and just replaced it with an explosion on the ships that it hits. Please tell me if you liked it better before. (you can kind of see the bullet shooting at the end)
Yes, the greatest. Nay, the legend himself posts on this project.
All kidding aside, this looks amazing! I think it looks way better than mine. I was going to also have timing based battles that took place outside of the overworld, but what you have is fantastic! I like the idea for the alternate form of attacking. When you use the pirates, I envision a pirate flag, then an explosion on the enemy ship. I think it should be mapped to 5, to make it make sense with your control scheme. I also like the idea for a randomly-generated world, but obviously you're going to have to save that world if you don't already, for continuity's sake.

Also, even though this needs no proof, I am dropping Aqua Wars in order to make other games, and I did give DWMelon permission to create this, knowing it was so similar to mine. As my aquatic project might never see the light of day, his deserves to.
123outerme wrote:
I also like the idea for a randomly-generated world, but obviously you're going to have to save that world if you don't already, for continuity's sake.

The world does save; currently it saves to Matrix E. The menu where you choose world size has "Small" (10x10), "Medium"(20x20), and "Large"(30x30) tells the user this (so they don't accidentally overwrite it). I recommend choosing "small" as it takes something like 3 minutes to generate a large map. The menu also states the size of each map, so it tells you how much ram it will take up. Also the enemy type is stored in each matrix variable, so that there are different types of enemies you can fight. However (As of now) the enemies position resets each time you redraw the map.

123outerme wrote:
When you use the pirates, I envision a pirate flag, then an explosion on the enemy ship.

Thanks a lot! I think I'm going to use that idea. Also I think I want to add a little explosion symbol next to each pirate boat when they do the normal shooting attack, just so it is more clear who is shooting what - maybe some smoke pointing out in the direction it shoots. I know this would probably slow the game down a bit, but I kind of want it a bit slower, as they move a bit to fast for boats.

Also, what do you all think of the idea of different speeds for the boats. As of now I have the player movement loop run 5 times for every time the enemy movement loop runs. However this could easily be changed for each boat- which could simulate a faster moving boat (as the enemy boats would more faster or slower compared to you).
DWMelon wrote:
123outerme wrote:
I also like the idea for a randomly-generated world, but obviously you're going to have to save that world if you don't already, for continuity's sake.

The world does save; currently it saves to Matrix E. The menu where you choose world size has "Small" (10x10), "Medium"(20x20), and "Large"(30x30) tells the user this (so they don't accidentally overwrite it). I recommend choosing "small" as it takes something like 3 minutes to generate a large map. The menu also states the size of each map, so it tells you how much ram it will take up. Also the enemy type is stored in each matrix variable, so that there are different types of enemies you can fight. However (As of now) the enemies position resets each time you redraw the map.

123outerme wrote:
When you use the pirates, I envision a pirate flag, then an explosion on the enemy ship.

Thanks a lot! I think I'm going to use that idea. Also I think I want to add a little explosion symbol next to each pirate boat when they do the normal shooting attack, just so it is more clear who is shooting what - maybe some smoke pointing out in the direction it shoots. I know this would probably slow the game down a bit, but I kind of want it a bit slower, as they move a bit to fast for boats.

Also, what do you all think of the idea of different speeds for the boats. As of now I have the player movement loop run 5 times for every time the enemy movement loop runs. However this could easily be changed for each boat- which could simulate a faster moving boat (as the enemy boats would more faster or slower compared to you).

Ok, good. I guess I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the menus, more to the gameplay. But that's my fault. Smile
You mean that the loop runs 5 times, and only the 5th time lets the enemy movement code run? Or that the player movement loop runs 5 times, exits out, the enemy movement loop runs, exits out, then repeats?
123outerme wrote:

You mean that the loop runs 5 times, and only the 5th time lets the enemy movement code run? Or that the player movement loop runs 5 times, exits out, the enemy movement loop runs, exits out, then repeats?

The player movement loop runs five times, then, on the 5th time the enemy movement code runs.
It looks something like this:

Code:

While 1
(draw map)
 Repeat until player goes off map
  Delete counter var
  While counter<5
   (Player movent)
   (Player shooting)
   Repeat until key is pressed
    End
  End
  (Calculate enemy movement and shooting)
 End
End

(I think) Having the game setup this way makes it much faster than having the enemy movement within the main loop. However it does make the Pirate character annoyingly blink every 5 loops :/

Also, anyone know of the least most commonly used matrix? I don't want it to be overwritten. Or, is there another way of storing the matrix so that it could be in an appvar or something?
I've been working on this quite a bit lately, and have some progress to show for it!
I've now completed enemy movement, added a cool shooting animation, added the ability for you and enemies to die, and added an upgrading system. I have been unable to make a gif at the moment, though I might have one later tonight, but I do have a download for those who wish to try it.
Download: Pirate Adventures!
Here is an update of what the game looks like as of now:

I need to do a few optimizations and fix/make more tilemaps, but then this game will be (sort of) complete! I then plan to add bosses at the corners of the worlds, and then when you beat a boss you get access to a new (and better) boat.
EDIT: ewww... the gif looks gross. I had to convert it twice to get it to a gif format. (the reason I didn't just use the jusTIfied screen recorder was that it made the game much slower and glitchyer than when on an actual calculator. I will make a better one when I have the chance. I promise the graphics aren't actually this bad! Smile
DWMelon wrote:
I've been working on this quite a bit lately, and have some progress to show for it!
I've now completed enemy movement, added a cool shooting animation, added the ability for you and enemies to die, and added an upgrading system. I have been unable to make a gif at the moment, though I might have one later tonight, but I do have a download for those who wish to try it.
Download: Pirate Adventures!
Here is an update of what the game looks like as of now:

I need to do a few optimizations and fix/make more tilemaps, but then this game will be (sort of) complete! I then plan to add bosses at the corners of the worlds, and then when you beat a boss you get access to a new (and better) boat.
EDIT: ewww... the gif looks gross. I had to convert it twice to get it to a gif format. (the reason I didn't just use the jusTIfied screen recorder was that it made the game much slower and glitchyer than when on an actual calculator. I will make a better one when I have the chance. I promise the graphics aren't actually this bad! Smile

Are you going to add those sprites I created for ya? Very Happy
KingInfinity wrote:

I'm not sure, I liked them a lot, just they weren't created in the xLIBC pallet, and when I converted them to the xLIBC pallet they looked really weird.
It's looking great! I downloaded it and tried it out of course and noticed something lol
I didn't know what keys to use! I figured most of them out pretty quickly, but the ones to shoot down enemies were, although fairly intuitive, hard to figure out. You might want to add an extra page at the beginning of the game with some text explaining what keys to use Smile
On an unrelated note, you might want to store the saved data in one of the appvars rather than just a deletable/modifiable list, I know it could be modified in an appvar as well, but since it can't be done on the calc, it would probably discourage most people from messing around with it Smile
Also, you are probably aware of this and I know this is not a completed project yet, but there are some borders missing, I'm not sure if it is because you don't know how big you want to make the map yet or if it is because it has not yet been coded, but you should add those.
Other than that, very cool game, can't wait to try it out once it will be complete!! Very Happy
mr womp womp wrote:
It's looking great! I downloaded it and tried it out of course and noticed something 0x5
I didn't know what keys to use! I figured most of them out pretty quickly, but the ones to shoot down enemies were, although fairly intuitive, hard to figure out. You might want to add an extra page at the beginning of the game with some text explaining what keys to use Smile
On an unrelated note, you might want to store the saved data in one of the appvars rather than just a deletable/modifiable list, I know it could be modified in an appvar as well, but since it can't be done on the calc, it would probably discourage most people from messing around with it Smile
Also, you are probably aware of this and I know this is not a completed project yet, but there are some borders missing, I'm not sure if it is because you don't know how big you want to make the map yet or if it is because it has not yet been coded, but you should add those.
Other than that, very cool game, can't wait to try it out once it will be complete!! Very Happy

Yeah, I realize some borders are missing, that is just because when I still need to make a few tilemaps.
Also about map size: originally you could choose how big you wanted it, but I decided that 10x10 was big enough.
About having the data stored in an appvar: I think this is a good idea, just that it will take more space to implement, although as of now it is only 5 kb (and it hasn't at all been optimized). I do think that most people won't really edit the lists, and honestly, it's only a calculator game - I couldn't care less if people cheated.
Thanks a ton for trying it out, and I really appreciate the feedback!
DWMelon wrote:
KingInfinity wrote:

I'm not sure, I liked them a lot, just they weren't created in the xLIBC pallet, and when I converted them to the xLIBC pallet they looked really weird.

Aww, oh well. Your game looks really neat anyway! Good work!
Here is kind of a progress update:
I have pretty much completed enemy movement/battling. I added in the close range attack (which does double damage) and it works fine. Now I made it so you can only shoot one for each time the enemy moves. All I need to do is add in the borders and then maybe create bosses at each corner of the map? I thought I could have one of those islands with a skull on it, and you would have to fight off many boats, then fight one super strong boat. After defeating the boss you would then unlock the next tier boat, which you would upgrade, then fight the next boss.
Also I have quite a few major optimizations that could be made, just it will require moving around large chunks of code, so I will have to wait to do that until I'm in a computer.
(I apologize if there are errors in what I wrote, I'm on a cell phone)
Looking good! If you want, I can create you some tiles that work for xLIBC. The only thing I'm curious about is that GIF. It looked pretty fuzzy, and like you used a different color for the initial drawing of the blue background in the beginning and a different color for updating it.
Yeah... the gif is awful! I was trying to use regular screen recording software instead, since when I use the one on justified it always makes the game run slower. Then I tried to convert it to a gif, and that happened. And no, I actually didn't change the colors, just the gif is awful. And I appreciate the offer for making me some tiles, I'm not sure if I'll take you up on it yet.
DWMelon wrote:
Yeah... the gif is awful! I was trying to use regular screen recording software instead, since when I use the one on justified it always makes the game run slower. Then I tried to convert it to a gif, and that happened. And no, I actually didn't change the colors, just the gif is awful. And I appreciate the offer for making me some tiles, I'm not sure if I'll take you up on it yet.

Ok. I meant to include the possibility of a terrible gif in my last post, since that's what I thought it was. Thanks for the quick response! I would like to reccomend the computer version of Wabbitemu to you, since its screen recording is lagless, it's offline, and more configurable. It works with the CSE, so it's a handy tool for me.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours