LAST UPDATE - 11/30/2015 - v1.01
* Added flat preview
* Added double-layer turns
* Added double-layer turning indicator

Current Plans (in order of priority)
• HELP SCREEN
• proper randomized scrambling (maybe with the ability to share seeds with others?)
• timer/move counter
• undo/redo (limit of a few hundred moves, resets when you restart the program)
• color customization
• saving the cube state

Original Post wrote:
I was bored yesterday evening, so I started work on a simple Rubik's Cube program for my calculator. The controls are optimized for speedcubing, the code is barely optimized at all. (It is just under five kilobytes currently.) If people are really interesting, I may add more features, including the following:

• double-layer moves (eg. Fw)
• saving the cube state to an AppVar
• proper randomized scrambling
• timer/move count/recognition of a finished solve
• color customization
• alternate/configurable controls
• undo/redo

I was too lazy to get an actual RNG/PRNG routine working so there's a temporary "scramble" mode. Hit [XTθn] to start the scrambling mode, then mash the numbers 1-6 for a few seconds, and hit [XTθn] again.

(A video may or may not be coming soon!)

For now, here's a download along with the controls, which are inspired by this web applet:

I recommend using the middle fingers of each hand for the R/R', L/L', z/z' and y/y' moves, index fingers for B/B', U/U', F/F' and M/M', and thumbs for D/D' and "look right/left."
I'll give it a shot, and likely save the controls as a graphing image. I am no speedcuber, so probably novice controls would be something to consider.

EDIT: Played the game, it's simple, and I like simple. A few suggestions from me (I'm no Rubik's Cube guy so bear with me on this):
- Fixing the auto-scrambler (it doesn't work for me) with scramble difficulties
- Saving and a timer
- Menu system with something to save multiple cubes
- Sorta like a multiplayer kinda thing (like turn based?)
- Maybe an auto-solver if possible

The future looks good, hopefully you can submit it into the cemetech/ticalc archives when you feel like it.

Considering you made this in about 24 hours, it's actually really amazing how far you got in such little time.
o355 wrote:
I'll give it a shot, and likely save the controls as a graphing image. I am no speedcuber, so probably novice controls would be something to consider.

EDIT: Played the game, it's simple, and I like simple. A few suggestions from me (I'm no Rubik's Cube guy so bear with me on this):
- Saving and a timer

The future looks good, hopefully you can submit it into the cemetech/ticalc archives when you feel like it.

Considering you made this in about 24 hours, it's actually really amazing how far you got in such little time.

Thanks! There is no auto-scrambler at the moment... it just changes the input mode so that you can spam the numbers 1-6 and it will do moves based on that. I am planning on adding some sort of proper scrambler at some point. I am not very experienced with creating cube-solvers, especially in assembly, so I don't think an auto-solver will be coming very soon. (I can add a button to reset it, if that's what you mean.) Turn-based multiplayer sounds intriguing, can you explain more upon your idea? (If it involves multiple calculators communicating with a transfer cable, I definitely don't know even how to begin to do that yet.)

I will release an update soon (hopefully tonight, though it might have to wait until tomorrow morning) with a few more features.

P.S. I will probably make a help screen at some point, but probably not right now.
Could you post a quick picture of what it looks like on the calculator for those of us without a CE?
Hactar wrote:
o355 wrote:

- Saving and a timer

Thanks! There is no auto-scrambler at the moment... it just changes the input mode so that you can spam the numbers 1-6 and it will do moves based on that. I am planning on adding some sort of proper scrambler at some point. I am not very experienced with creating cube-solvers, especially in assembly, so I don't think an auto-solver will be coming very soon. (I can add a button to reset it, if that's what you mean.) Turn-based multiplayer sounds intriguing, can you explain more upon your idea? (If it involves multiple calculators communicating with a transfer cable, I definitely don't know even how to begin to do that yet.)

I will release an update soon (hopefully tonight, though it might have to wait until tomorrow morning) with a few more features.

P.S. I will probably make a help screen at some point, but probably not right now.

Multiplayer would go a bit like this on one calculator. There would be two cubes stored probably in an AppVar. There would be an initial scramble, scrambling both cubes the same way (with a difficulty option). Player 1 would do one move, then Player 2 would make another move, vice versa until either Player 1 or 2 solves the cube. It's not across two calcs Smile

Ivoah wrote:
Could you post a quick picture of what it looks like on the calculator for those of us without a CE?

Here's what it looks like at the moment:

Image was huge, so the link is here:
Imgur link: http://imgur.com/nlIkfgp
If you wanted to implement some competitive mode, I think by far the simplest way would be to represent cube positions as seeds that can both be seen and entered by the user. If you then implemented a timer, move counter, or something of the like, users could share seeds and compare scores themselves.

And if you wanted users to be able to compete on a number of cubes in a row without having to constantly share seeds, it should be simple enough to make a seed also determine futue scrambles.
If you want a tester, I'm offering up my CE for beta testing.
I assume the big new update is coming with multiplayer and stuff like that (or maybe not), but what's the progress as of the moment with the program, any new changes since v1.01?
o355 wrote:
I assume the big new update is coming with multiplayer and stuff like that (or maybe not), but what's the progress as of the moment with the program, any new changes since v1.01?

Multiplayer is out of the question, at least for now. I haven't made any progress on this since v1.01, because I've been working on another, larger project which should be released (hopefully, if all goes well) by this Monday. Then I might come back to this.

By the way, if anyone knows how to implement a timer in assembly... I would really like to know... *wink* *wink*
Why not use the time commands?
GTemples27 wrote:
Why not use the time commands?

1. That link isn't working.
2. I think that's for TI-BASIC; this is written in assembly.
Ew, stupid broken links. And okay, that makes sense. I don't like to read titles, soooooooo... yeah. Darn.
Hactar wrote:
By the way, if anyone knows how to implement a timer in assembly... I would really like to know... *wink* *wink*

As we all know, I'm not an assembly genius, but I have some links that might help you to get started.

https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7017
http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=83Plus:Ports:30

Also, JamesV's SnailMaze has a timer that counts down. Maybe you could take a look at that?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours