For the past two years, I've wanted to create an Hour of Code tutorial for graphing calculator programming in TI-BASIC, and since I had too much to do and missed the deadline this year, I'd like to start planning now for next year. If you're unfamiliar with it, Hour of Code is a project to give students and others an hour one day in December to get their feet wet with coding. There are many available tutorials, from Javascript to Scratch to Python, but I think a TI-BASIC tutorial would be ideal. Something like our (slightly overdone?) guessing game might be fun, but I'd be open to other ideas. The following are links to more information about Hour of Code and third-party tutorials. Thoughts?

Hour of Code
Tutorial guidelines

Edit: I see a post from TI Education on Facebook indicating that they submitted something to Code.org and/or Hour of Code about TI calculator programming, but I can't find the actual mention on code.org.
I think this would be pretty cool, but unfortunately don't have much time to contribute to helping develop it.
I remember doing hour of code in school a few years ago. Would a ti 84 series calculator be required to do the tutorial, or would you provide an emulator?
This sounds like a great Idea
Legally, we can't provide an emulator for anyone who doesn't already own a calculator, so it seems like an odd choice to provide with a "learn to code" tutorial, since the startup cost of learning to dump a ROM is pretty high compared to just pressing [prgm].
elfprince13 wrote:
Legally, we can't provide an emulator for anyone who doesn't already own a calculator, so it seems like an odd choice to provide with a "learn to code" tutorial, since the startup cost of learning to dump a ROM is pretty high compared to just pressing [prgm].
Yeah, one of the major advantages of learning programming with calculators is that it is an "unplugged" way to learn: you don't need a computer, you don't need an internet connection, and you don't need to download anything. Beyond the legal concerns, it would defeat the purpose to make people set up an emulator just for an hour-long coding lesson.

I certainly understand that you don't have the time, elfprince; I pretty much don't have the time either, which is why the Hour of Code email was sitting in my inbox since before the deadline without being addressed. Hopefully by this time next year we can think of something easy and clever to create. The material for just an hour of a lesson shouldn't be terrible to write, so hopefully I can amortize it over a year.
KermMartian wrote:
Edit: I see a post from TI Education on Facebook indicating that they submitted something to Code.org and/or Hour of Code about TI calculator programming, but I can't find the actual mention on code.org.

http://hourofcode.com/ti

https://code.org/learn Ctrl+F, "Tutorials in other programming languages", 5th slide
Thanks! I see that it links directly to TI's own website; that's quite the coup for them, after j spent so much time trying to contact code.org. Razz Anyway, ideas for learning TI-BASIC fundamentals in an hour other than a guessing game?
Homescreen animations are fun / easy.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours