I'm trying to write a micro-QR Code generator in pure TI-83 BASIC. So far I've added everything except the actual bit stream generation. I'll need help with the Reed-Solomon ECC stuffs; I am particularly confused by how this works.

It should generate a M3-L micro-QR code from a selected variable, and the output is (hopefully):

Code:
┬ ┬ └────data────┘
│ └ Exponent
└─ Variable (A=01, ... theta=37)

Currently it shows the correct 15-bit format data and the alignment box, and the masking code is in a subprogram at the moment because I can't use it yet. Pretty soon (before 2013, assuming ECC is figured out) it'll be able to display a scannable code.
Can you explain what microQR is for those of us who are unfamiliar?
Wikipedia doesn't really have a lot of information about micro QR, but it's essentially a small version of a QR code. It doesn't hold a lot of data, but it holds enough for my purposes.
http://www.qrcode.com/en/microqr.html
How do you intend to use this ? Is it just an exercise to produce the image on calc or will you output the image through the link port?
It only produces the image on the graph screen. I have no intent to write a decoder; I don't have that kind of time.
Am I correctly reading that the thing you need help with is understanding how Reed-Solomon coding for error detection/correction? I assume you've browsed a few relevant tutorials and are still lost?
I did, and I still got lost. It's been a while since I've looked at this code, so I'll take another shot at it this week and figure out which parts I still get lost with. I learned a fair bit of C++ and Python in the 3 years this topic has sat for (o.o), so I may be able to get the gist of this looking at example code.
Great, best of luck; I hope it makes a bit more sense to you this time around. Having a bit of experience programming, and moreover programming assorted algorithms, definitely gives one a bit more insight to understand unfamiliar algorithms, in my experience. And of course, I'd be happy to answer questions you may still have about implementation after you review the concepts.
I had a previous idea about creating an on-calc qr generator, but I had no idea how qr codes are generated. How do you plan on doing this?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours