IN PROGRESS
The main problem holding me down before in my last iteration of computing was memory. I came up with an idea for super-dense memory where the memory itself stores 4 bits per-block. Looking around for other RAM implementations brings up quite large circuits.

Originally I used rotating memory with the ability to jump forwards. With /clone, I could handle reverse jumps. The problem was jumping to a variable offset. My current iteration uses a dense cubic volume of multi-colored wool. Each block is 4 bits, 8 blocks per strip, with multiple strips stacked vertically and horizontally. A section of redstone logic seeks along this block of memory in a read/write step by replicating itself alongside the volume. The "head" (can be read or write, changed based on state) is then placed at the correct position and performs its operation. This way, command blocks can access sections of memory from an arbitrary address.

Because a physical head is slow, I'm also planning on having the head work in block operations, allowing data to hit a cache unit. That should speed up read/write speed.

Actual core functionality will happen later. Also, a lot of the logic will shrink in physical size with 1.9 it seems.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours