Do you prefer a fast rendering algorithm without symbols, or a slow one with symbols?
Fast without symbols
 55%  [ 11 ]
Slow with symbols
 45%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 20

Once my BallMaze Lite is ready, I'm going to work on some other projects. One is finishing ColorNote, the next is finishing my Flow Free. But as I said, I'm waiting for other people they get some finished, so I do have spare time for a new project. This is what I'm going to make:
DocEdit for the TI-84+CSE.
Of course not all the stuff; that would be too difficult. What I'm creating is an advanced document-editor, inclusive B, I, U, aligning and text coloring, even as saving it, and adding a symbol. The document is stored in an appvar and would look like this:

Code:
 PETER <I>TIL<B>LEMA</B><U></I> <COLOR=25>MADE THIS</U> PROG</COLOR>RAM

The result is this:

What I need to do:
    - Saving the document
    - Aligning
    - Document-editing
    - Adding symbols
    - And probably more

What do you think about it? Probably I could implement images too, but that would being hard. Or even different font size.

Here's the program in action:

You may say "Oh, that looks like your ColorNote!". Yes I know, and this would kind of replace ColorNote. I will only release ColorNote, not making updates on it anymore. I use that code for my DocEdit. I hope you all like it!
Looks super nice! I really like the blue background, it makes it feel much more word-like than a fullscreen editor might. I would have an option though to have it fullscreen. I look forward to seeing progress on this. Keep up the good work!
This looks really good, and really fast! Two suggestions I have, though, are:
1) Don't call it Microsoft Word. You're not Microsoft.
2) Store the document as actual XML. This would make it easy to port around the document to other systems if you wanted to.
I would consider using RTF instead of pseudo-XML.
I see what you're doing...

My Word will be done first, however. Razz Looks amazing!

You should add an ellipse menu at the bottom, too.
I would go against XML if it is stored on-calc. Limited RTF would probably work. And drop a trademarked name.
merthsoft wrote:
2) Store the document as actual XML. This would make it easy to port around the document to other systems if you wanted to.
Strongly seconded on the first point; less enthusiastic seconding on the second point. I feel that actual XML has too much overhead for its tags for a calculator file format, when you could use some of the special characters like the plot symbols as delimiters and "tags" instead.
I suggested XML since it's fairly close to what he has already. I don't really think the overhead would be that much more than RTF, depending on how you do it. I think the advantage of RTF is that it could then be opened fairly handily by any RTF editor.

I like Kerm's idea, though, of using special characters as delimiters. It would be quick for parsing. The downside is you would need to have an escape character for if you want those special characters in the document itself, though you'd need that for XML or RTF as well, so this is not a big deal.
Ivoah wrote:
I would have an option though to have it fullscreen.

That sounds like a good idea!
merthsoft wrote:

1) I gonna change it
2) I've read the whole discussion what I should use; my best option is just keep what I already have, HTML-syntax.
solarsoftware wrote:
I see what you're doing...

My Word will be done first, however. Razz Looks amazing!

You should add an ellipse menu at the bottom, too.

What ellipse? For what? In my real MW I don't see anywhere an ellipse.

For the delimiters, I do have something like <I>, this could be the best I guess, or do anyone recommend like [xhat], ZStandard??
What you have isn't HTML syntax, though, which was kind of my point. <COLOR=25> isn't a thing in HTML. My point is that you could do <COLOR VALUE=25> and then you'd have valid XML.
merthsoft wrote:
What you have isn't HTML syntax, though, which was kind of my point. <COLOR=25> isn't a thing in HTML. My point is that you could do <COLOR VALUE=25> and then you'd have valid XML.
I could change it.

Is "DocEdit" a good name for my program? Or any other suggestions?
PT_ wrote:
Is "DocEdit" a good name for my program? Or any other suggestions?
DocEdit sounds like a good name to me. You could also try other mixes of "Calc[ulator]", "Doc", "Write", and "Edit", like CalcWrite or CalcDoc or WriteCalc or something.
Feature list:
- (Done) Bold
- (Done) Italic
- (Done) Underlined
- (Done) Strikethrough
- (Done) Enter
- (Done) Color
- (Done) Symbols
- (Done) Bullets

Once I get this all ready, I'm going on with editing.

How quickly can it open a longish document? Does the parsing take much time?
Ivoah wrote:
How quickly can it open a longish document? Does the parsing take much time?

The more functions I have, the longer it takes...
Now it takes without any extra stuff 9 seconds per 68 letters. With all the stuff it takes 68 seconds... So it is totally dependant on the style.

By all stuff I mean
That looks nifty!
I'm changing things a little bit. First of all the lay-out. Next the including symbols. Since real(6 displays trash instead of É etc, I have to make sprites for that, but that looks different.
Looks this good (the first character)?

I've included Á À,Ä,Â, É, È, Ë, Ê, Í, Ì, Ï, Î, Ó, Ò, Ö, Ô, Ú, Ù, Ü, Û.

And I think I will change the saving of the document. What I now have is

Code:
 PETER TILLEMA<B><I> MADE </I>THIS</B> PROGRAM
etc, but I think I will change it to

Code:
 PETER TILLEMA
<B><I>
 MADE
</I>
THIS
</B>
 PROGRAM

This is necessary for aligning, since I must know how many characters there are on a line. How about that?
Why did you change the title bar to red?
youshould implement more characters into the special character menu, for example, those found on the Charz program (http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/384/38404.html)
Ivoah wrote:
Why did you change the title bar to red?
I do love that color, and since you can only edit 1 document, you don't need a title bar, so I changed it to fixed text.
Caleb_Hill wrote:
youshould implement more characters into the special character menu, for example, those found on the Charz program (http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/384/38404.html)
I could do it, but I'm also limited at space etc. (for every 'weird' symbol/character, I must make a sprite).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours