KermMartian wrote:
Wow, that's about twice the speed (half the time, if you prefer)! Good thing you came up with the optimization when the game was still in a private beta phase, so it'll impact relatively few users.

I agree it was good that few people were impacted! Those people already have the tools and information to correct their save, and I didn't need to send out the save modifying program to someone who wasn't already gonna use it to test. Speaking of sending stuff, I just sent out this beta to all current testers.
Unfortunately, the xLIBC command which I use to convert numbers to strings in Ans (real(6,1) aka the one that displays numbers on screen) can neither deal with decimals nor numbers greater than 9999. Due to the way I have to work around the first problem, I run in to the second sometimes. Not all the time, like in the screenshot, but eventually I do. I'll have to revert back to the old way of saving, unfortunately. I'll get this fix out to testers soon. Of course if tr1p1ea raises the limits of this command like he said he was thinking about once, this faster saving routine would be possible.
I might not fully understand what you are attempting to do here with using the real(6,1) command, but I remember KermM showed me a way to use the command with numbers greater than 9999. I never actually used it, nor did I really understand it, but he posted it on my topic here.
I'm sorry if I don't really understand what you are trying to do, and I'm just being ignorant. I haven't been coding much lately.
DWMelon wrote:
I might not fully understand what you are attempting to do here with using the real(6,1) command, but I remember KermM showed me a way to use the command with numbers greater than 9999. I never actually used it, nor did I really understand it, but he posted it on my topic here.
I'm sorry if I don't really understand what you are trying to do, and I'm just being ignorant. I haven't been coding much lately.

That's actually a really cool algorithm! Unfortunately, that's not exactly what I'm trying to do, although it could be a step forward. I'm displaying a number with real(6,1 off-screen, so the user can't see it. Then, I'm using the ability to put that number into Ans as a string to then load that into an AppVar, which is the only way I believe is possible to store something into an AppVar.
Progress has been slow-going since most, if not all, mechanics have been implemented. All that needs to be done is map creation, and one can only create so many maps without going insane. I don't want to ask anyone else for help either, since they'll be familiar with their map(s) when the game releases. There's not a lot I can do except truck on. So I've made a few more maps and fixed up the issue with the one under the beach town, and added some treasure chests. I don't know how long it's gonna take to finish World 5, but I hope I can get it over with soon.
For some weird reason, my keyboard hasn't been working up until a week ago or so. Now, I have my keyboard back and I've made lots of progress with the game, so I'm sending a build out soon. The 5th world has been finished, and for space, I've changed the save file format back to its original. But, I've included two save files (one an OP, over the top powerful save, and the other a normal one that is currently at the first world).
Unfortunately, I'm experiencing a bit of a burnout with this project. Probably unrelatedly, with games in general. I know I've learned a lot from this project, and I don't mean for this to be a cry for attention, but I'm thinking it's time to take what I've learned and move on. I'll get to work on the last 2 worlds, but by then I might not have enough steam to make the experience any more than it already is for 2 more worlds. Meaning probably no sidequests, no auto-battle mode, no 9th world. I just don't have the energy with this project to try to make it any more engaging than it already is, which I fear is little. I'm going to take what I learn here and use it to make better projects on the CSE, and possibly the CE too, if I decide to get one.
Since I have literally nothing to do today (except homework Evil or Very Mad ) I think I'll work on some of this. I've started work on world 6, the Under City. One thing that I hope to add soon will be a decent story or at least a driving motive. Due to the way I've set things up so far (planning on reworking the engine somewhat, though) the only way I can tell a story would be through the townspeople, which mostly only occur in each town. Hopefully when I rework the engine I can make townspeople outside of buildings, signs, pieces of paper, etc. trigger a dialogue (at least), meaning more chances to add to the story. For now, just townspeople and soon to be the New Game screen.
Most likely, I will release version 1.0 with the engine I have now, and rerelease the reworked version as v2.0, or by adding "Reworked", "Remastered", or something like that to the title.
Yay!! I have been waiting for this for, like, ever!!
Pieman7373 wrote:
Yay!! I have been waiting for this for, like, ever!!

Glad to hear! It's definitely coming back and I plan to release it as soon as I can. Not much work is left, although like I said once I release 1.0 I plan to come back and update the game engine a bit.

As for a progress metric: every enemy and sprite I will need (as far as I can see) is programmed in, Worlds 1-6 are fully functional and filled with content, game systems function as intended, and there is still a lot of room to add story (although the story will be more prevalent after I hopefully add freely usable dialogue triggers, there will still be a coherent plot).
Project update: For those of you who are testers, I sent out the latest build that fixed a lot of bugs. You got the PM explaining it.

For those who are just browsing, I'm about 90% done with the project. I have worlds 1-7 completely finished (have to do some testing to know if they're all working but I have no reason to suspect they aren't), all sprites, enemies, etc. are all completed, and all game systems are fully functioning and balanced. All I have left to do is create World 8, add the necessary assets, add a satisfying ending screen, add an intriguing "New File information dump" screen, and do a test playthrough. After I release the game, I will release various data such as move explanations, world maps (these include tons of spoilers, so I'd look at these at your own risk), etc.

Given the time I have available to me due to semester exams approaching, lots of homework to do (for some reason), and various other life stuff, I aim to release it next week, with a possible release time this weekend. I'm very excited for release, feedback, and traffic my game will be getting at that time, since it won't be locked into private beta anymore. This is the largest project I've ever taken up. It's taken me the longest to develop, the most art to create (actually it was the first time I actually made art for a game), the most depth I've ever had in a title, etc. I'm very proud of it, and it seems that sort of quality, to me, that would feel right at home on the NES. Of course, the memory limitation and 8x8 pixel graphics help that feel too. Razz
And don't worry, post-launch sentimental posts are coming. You have been warned. I will say "thanks" or some varation of that word at least 340945690 times.
I had another issue with program size, but thankfully it's fixed now, and permanently. Thanks to DJ Omnimaga, kotu, and c4ooo, I've fixed the problem and even reduced the number of files needed! Unfortunately, though, talking to a regular townsperson (aka has no function other than dialogue) has a 2-3 second delay from the bubble popping up (immediately after pressing 2nd) to the text appearing. It's either that, or the game won't run. I had to do what I had to do.

Edit: Nevermind. I just put the strings in a new AppVar, in the beginning lines, and it's only about a half-second delay. But I removed one of the data AppVars, essentially.
I haven't updated with a screenshot in a while so I figured I'd do it after changing the status bar to something a little more useful:

That's right, it's got health there now (Thanks to a year-old request of DJ Omnimaga's)! And when your health gets to >=30%, the normal yellow color will turn red to signify you need healing. On top of that, I demonstrated some of the older stuff again such as talking to NPCs, the menu, and saving.
What kind of saving format you use? Lists or Appvar?
Pieman7373 wrote:
What kind of saving format you use? Lists or Appvar?

I use an AppVar. It's near impossible to edit unless you know how to edit AppVars using Celtic, make a program with it, and somehow figure out the layout of the save file. I'm sure it could be done, but it's hardly worth anyone's time (especially because you could be using that time to actually enjoy the game)
That makes me happy, because then i wont be tempted to cheat *cough* FFMF *cough* even though i have made celtic appvar editing programs in the past ;P
Pieman7373 wrote:
That makes me happy, because then i wont be tempted to cheat *cough* FFMF *cough* even though i have made celtic appvar editing programs in the past ;P

Haha, yeah. I would say by the time you use trial and error to decrypt what each of the lines of the AppVar change in the save file, you could probably have beaten the game.

Update:
Another screenshot! This time, I've implemented the "intro exposition dump". Let me know if you like the color of the background and text.

(Hidden not really hidden message somewhere in there [hint: the name])
It's been a long ride, but I've finally gotten to Release Candidate stage! Together, with me and the people who generously donated their time to helping me test my game, I've gotten Sorcery of Uvutu to the final stage of the game development cycle. If I really needed/wanted to, I would be perfectly okay releasing the game as is. However, I prefer to wait for my testers to report their feedback and assure the quality of this product I've made. I'm so glad to have made it here!
(And no, this is not the touchy-feely post yet, that'll come when I release Razz )
I am extremely glad to be announcing; Sorcery of Uvutu is finally released! I am completely done with everything; gameplay, mechanics, graphics, and the experience! Thank you to my testers for making my life easier. It wouldn't have made it this far without them. Even if you only tested for a short time, your contributions still mattered. Thank you to everyone who has posted in my topics, your support, kind words, and suggestions mean the world to me. As such, I am proud to present my newest, most ambitious, and most refined title, Sorcery of Uvutu!

You can find the download in the original post, or right here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/afozadsbaa8ueox/SorceryOfUvutuV1%2C0.zip
Nice work 123outerme! Glad to see all of your long work has reached this point Smile I'll have to give this a whirl.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours