KermMartian said:
Quote:
Haha, I agree. The day that anyone thinks I know more than anyone else here is the day I'm being deluded, because I always have more to learn.

Good job Kerm, for humility! Because we would literally worship you if you let us Cool Cool Cool Cool You are awesome!
Kerm, just a question.

Percentage-wise, how much have you done of DCE 9?

-QK
About 90%, but progress is getting slowly, so we don't know when he will finish it Smile
How about a feature which will automatically open a program as soon as the calculator is turned on from within the shell. It could prevent reseting the calculator and allow TI-84 Plus CE to be password-protected.
LogicalJoe wrote:
How about a feature which will automatically open a program as soon as the calculator is turned on from within the shell. It could prevent reseting the calculator and allow TI-84 Plus CE to be password-protected.

I've suggested a port of Startup Customization or zStart before, but nobody has gotten around to doing it, and as of now, my knowledge is not powerful enough to conjure up such a program Razz
mr womp womp wrote:
LogicalJoe wrote:

I've suggested a port of Startup Customization or zStart before, but nobody has gotten around to doing it, and as of now, my knowledge is not powerful enough to conjure up such a program Razz

I was thinking (if I have read the Doors CSE user manual correctly) that the 'Always launch Doors CSE' feature...with some tweeking...has the potential to run programs on start-up and not just DCSE.
Just a general question: When do you think this version will be completed? I am looking forward to doing "math" in my class this year, and the school year ends on May 25. Do you think it will be done by then? If so, awesome! If not, that's fine... I'll just game on my calculator next school year. Doesn't bother me Very Happy
PT_ wrote:
About 90%, but progress is getting slowly, so we don't know when he will finish it
May 25, 2021? Razz
It's been about eight months since we had a to-do list update. I found this lost in the thread, but after eight months I'm sure it's a little outdated.

KermMartian wrote:

• Resolve problems with implementing poweroff to ensure that OS will not crash after quitting DCE after poweroff/APD.
  • Ensure that memory leak when DCE ran itself via HomeRun is resolved.
  • Test C/ASM library loading from Mateo within DCE
  • Make hook chainer work properly, at least with GetKeyHook and AppChangeHook.
  • Make shell functions called via ExecArcHook put their cleanup routines in safeRAM instead of assuming the layout of Archive hasn't changed. Done for AppChangeHook, not yet for ParserHook.
  • Make editing both archived and Unarchived programs from the home screen work. Sorted and tested, other than implementing the previous item.
  • Debug crash when loading new DCE version over old on emulator. -> Probably caused by HomeRun pointing to the wrong place because the stub is not loaded. Yep, caused by stub not holding proper contents. Need to detect this and let the OS handle running the program instead. Possibly (untested) fixed. Relies on following item.
  • HomeRun ParserHook uses absolute calls to ParserHookChkPrgm, getHomescreenToken, and getHomescreenByte. This makes it crash it many circumstances.
  • Consider label/home/end menu
  • Create small core ASM library for DCE programs?
  • Graphical artifacts on homescreen as reported by tr1p1ea
  • xLIBCE! Very much underway.

KermMatrian (on SAX) wrote:
Unrelated: I should start playing by George R. R. Martin rules. Every time someone asks when Doors CE 9 will be released, I delay it by another week.

I've been posting this to everyone who as asked when it'll be released, so I feel like a hypocrite right now.
However, I think a week delay of release is worth a little update. Wink

I think a good way to prevent people (like me) from asking for an update/ when Doors will be released, is to put the todo list on your very first post. Even if you only update it once a month it'll still be nice to see how progress is coming along. (I understand how long things can take, especially when you're busy. ~volunteers) Smile
My last commit does appear to have been September 8th. I continue to have every intention of releasing Doors CE, and hopefully as soon as possible. I'm waiting for the stars to align so that I can share one of the reasons Doors CE has been so significantly delayed. The second reason is that I simply have almost zero free time these days. Most of my time is being consumed by being co-founder and CEO of Geopipe, an early-stage startup co-founded by Cemetech administrator Thomas "elfprince13" Dickerson. Much of my remaining time is being consumed by being an adjunct professor of Computer Science at New York University. I'll let you guys know when I have some updates! It's likely that between mid-May and Mid-July, I'll have slightly more time for non-work things, but we shall see.
I'm not asking for updates or anything, i was just wondering if the Celtic library that was in DoorsCSE is being ported (like xLibC is)
Pieman7373 wrote:
I'm not asking for updates or anything, i was just wondering if the Celtic library that was in DoorsCSE is being ported (like xLibC is)
I would assume so, though At this point ICE far surpasses any BASIC libs.
Pieman7373 wrote:
It not only is being ported, it has been ported and debugged, using the tester that tifreak8x kindly created for Doors CSE.
CalcMeister wrote:

Although this is true in some ways (ICE has better graphics, and compiles to ASM) if you require any math in your program at all, Basic libs are a wee bit better.
CalcMeister wrote:
Pieman7373 wrote:

I disagree, don't mean to diss on ICE or anything, but it is pretty limiting when it comes to coding things that aren't games or very graphical programs. I still think a lot of basic features need to be ported before ICE code can be fairly compared to basic. For example, the lack of matrices, the 3-byte integers, the strange way it handles If-Then-End, and random commands like seq(), sub(), etc.
Hybrid-Basic on the other hand, is simply adding on to basic. By using xLibce and Celtic II, you do not lose any functionality, you only add some random commands. Additionally, I think by creating a hybrid basic library, ti tends to listen more. They aren't going to scrap basic and create some assembling language like ICE, because that's not the point of basic, however, they do add commands to ti-basic every now and then, which is what happened with toString(). This is just a hypothesis, but I think ti might have seen the libraries offering such a command and though: "Well that's practical enough, why don't we have that built-in?"

EDIT: I do think that ICE is moving in the right direction though and that it is simply a matter of PT_ painstakingly adding in basic commands one at a time.
Let's not talk about ICE in this thread, it has it's own thread for this Razz Anyway, it's just how you see it, and you want to do. ICE is a new programming language highly focussed on graphics, and Hybrid Basic/other libraries adds new, useful commands to BASIC, so you can do even more with BASIC. Both are useful, I can't say one is better or not Wink
mr womp womp wrote:
the 3-bit integers

Just wanted to clarify: 3 byte integers
How much more time do you think it will take to finish the program?
ti84plusce wrote:
How much more time do you think it will take to finish the program?

When it's done.

I'd say maybe give it a few months, and then you can come back and pester Kerm a little bit more Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 17 of 27
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours