Dear forum,

I am a physicist and also not a good programmer. Among all the experts here I feel somewhat uncomfortable, but I hope you might be able to help me.

For my teaching I would like to setup simple and cheap devices employing an arduino and a TI84+ to do class room experiments in physics, e.g. record voltage over time by an arduino, store them in arrays and finally transfer it directly to th TI for further data processing.

The idea came to me when I came across the article by William Massano (http://www.nutsvolts.com/magazine/contributor/william_massano). I installed and tested his routines but finally figured that for this combination his codes can send only keystrokes which is way to slow for my application.

Within my internet research I found this forum and the ArTicl libraries. Using this library a silent link (i.e. without displaying individual characters on the screen) seems possible. I tested the routines but I am unsure which way to go next. I got all of them running (except ControlLed, here an error message "'sizeWordToInt' was not declared in this scope" appeared).

Therefore my question to the community:

is there a way to send directly whole lists of data values from Arduino C to a list L1 or L2, etc.. in the TI in a way that is not too slow? (say a length of a 100 items in the time of just a few seconds). Within a silent transfer this should be possible.

I would be glad if anyone could respond. I very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Robert J.
Welcome to Cemetech, Robert! I'm glad that you found ArTICL, and I hope we can help you get it working for your needs. Yes, ArTICL can let your Arduino send and receive lists like L1 and L2 to and from a calculator (the AnalogRead example is a direct demonstration of that). Yes, you can probably send a 100-element list in about 3 or 4 seconds. And yes, ArTICL takes advantage of the calculator's silent linking capability, and lets the Arduino initiated transfers with no interference by the user. I recommend that you start from the AnalogRead demo if you need to transfer a list from the Arduino to the calculator, or we can help you with some sample code if you're trying to go in the opposite direction.
Dear KermMartian,

thanks for your fast reply and the warm welcome in CEMETECH.
I tested the routine that you suggested again and looked upon it. AnalogRead more or less requests data from the arduino directly by working with the TI directly while using the get( function.
On the other hand, I was wondering whether the opposite way is also possible, i.e. that the arduino shifts data e.g., any time a button is pressed.
I would prefer that after experiments and data is taken, my students then start to work on the calculator for analysing data. Do you have another idea for making the arduino as the master device instead?

Thanks again, RobertJ
"if you need to transfer a list from the Arduino to the calculator, or we can help you with some sample code if you're trying to go in the opposite direction"...

Actually, what I'm trying to do is send codes to a CBL2 attached to an Arduino in order to collect data. On a calculator, I would use the following:

Send({0}) // Reset CBL 2 (This clears CBL 2 RAM)
Send({1,1,1}) // Set up Channel 1 for data collection
Send({3,.1,100,0}) // Take temperature sample every .1 second
Get(L2) // Retrieve temperature data to L2
Get(L1) // Retrieve time data to L1

Alternatively, I can get a single value: Send({3,1,1,0}), then Get(A).

I can't figure out how to use the ARTicl library to do this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours