Coolness then. I look forward to working with you guys to make DCS as optimized as possible. Smile Perhaps I need to set up some kind of CSV system in the http://doorscs.cemetech.net section...
That would be sweet. I can't wait to see the source. I'll try to help my best on it. *Can't believe he's going to be able to help his mentor out with his mentor's code* Very Happy

Chipmaster, 8 months ago wrote:
Have you tried learn ASM in 28 days? I used that and came to Kerm to fill me in on the little holes it leaves out. Smile I guess you could say that Kerm was my mentor Smile and continues to be..... Cool
Awww, you flatter me. Smile Thank you. I look forward to working with you.
i like open source, with your permision i might make a few progs based on parts of your asm programs, first for pesonal use to learn asm then with permission moving to released program's.

P.S. where can i get a copy of the current betas, and the last full realease, i need one.
Right here:
http://www.cemetech.net/programs/archives.php?mode=file&path=/83/asm/shells/doorscs.zip
If kllrnohj still decides to quit, Im all for coming back. I just felt like I wasn't needed at that point.
I don't think he'll actually leave...I think he just wants DCS to be semiopen source and he was saying that to underscore how serious he is.
KermMartian wrote:
o Free, open distribution of the source code of Doors CS
o Limited rights to modify the source: all modifications can only be used in the official release, as approved by me
o Limited reuse of code: permission from me needed before reusiong code fragments or routines
o No permissions to modify and rerelease as ones own.

Does that sound fair?

Not really. Get rid of the limited parts, and just use the GNU GPL (the last one is fine, of course Wink - and incase you didn't know, any changes done to a GNU GPL'd program must also be released under the GNU GPL, no matter how large or small the modifications are). Then you have a legal licence to back it, not just something you threw together. Don't swing the bat half-way kerm....

Quote:
I don't think he'll actually leave...I think he just wants DCS to be semiopen source and he was saying that to underscore how serious he is.

I won't quit now that DCS is open source, but otherwise I really would have.
The important thing to me is that no one else is able to release a modified version, as I said in point 4. The GPL covers that?
KermMartian wrote:
The important thing to me is that no one else is able to release a modified version, as I said in point 4. The GPL covers that?

No one is able to claim the entire program as their own, but they can definitely release a modified version independently. HOWEVER, it has to be under the GNU GPL - meaning if the changes are any good, you can just merge them into the main build (without needing to ask them, as it was released under the GNU GPL), so I doubt you will see any forks off of the main DCS build unless there is a major design difference (like someone wants a stripped down, lightweight version without all the fancy features)
Erm, I was planning to do that myself, actually. I really would rather there was a way to use a modified form of the GPL that allowed limitations.
KermMartian wrote:
Erm, I was planning to do that myself, actually. I really would rather there was a way to use a modified form of the GPL that allowed limitations.

Well, maintaining two versions is more work, but that was just a possible situation for that anyway. It would still take a major design difference for someone to start a new fork of DCS (like maybe a non-GUI version), in which case it won't affect DCS, as it won't be competing with it. Any optimizations or bug fixes will be submitted to the main build, not released seperately.

You are worrying too much about someone ripping you off, but like I said, any modified version must also be released under the GNU GPL, so you really don't have to worry about that.
Eh, I think I'll try to write up the one I was thinking of, and then we'll see what would be better.
So, when and where will this source be released? Sourceforge?
Chipmaster wrote:
So, when and where will this source be released? Sourceforge?

I'd assume Kerm would release it here.... (CVS isn't really needed as Kerm is currently the sole developer, and I think he wants it to stay that way - so anon FTP would work just fine)

@Kerm: Now that I think about it, why do you want two versions of DCS? (one with and without all the features) If its an app, its not like it will save space to have a version without the extras...
Kllrnohj wrote:
@Kerm: Now that I think about it, why do you want two versions of DCS? (one with and without all the features) If its an app, its not like it will save space to have a version without the extras...
If he ever was to exceed the single page limit, and go on to two pages, it would be a very good thing to have two versions. Also, many users are looking for the ability to play games as quick as they can, and quit fast (playing in school), and a cleaner, less feature rich GUI may be better for this. Other than that, I don't know why you would want less features - I certainly wouldn't.

If I could just interject for a second, Kerm, when are you going to fix the scroll bug? I crashed my calculator twice today when I wasn't even trying to push DCS to the limit. I think that should be very high on the bug fix list because it's crucial to every user, and is such a fundamental, and probably easy fix. Well, when that code does get released, if it's still not fixed, I'm making it my goal to fix it.
look at the tracker
elfprince13 wrote:
look at the tracker

heh, wow, i had forgotten about that....

hey Kerm, get rid of that horrid 2 column layout for the tracker! (bugs should be above features, and it should be single columns with the option to display one or the other, or both)
Hmm, I could do that. It's ironic you should mention the scroll bug; I just made a note to myself in the tracker today about it.
*bump*

When are we getting the source and a tracker relayout? Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours