The title really explains my question: Are any of y'all speedcubers? What are your times?
I started a week ago, and so far my best time is 1:28:90. Not great, I know, but not bad, right?
I think I'm going to learn Fridrich, since the Petrus Method looks a bit more confusing... Thoughts?
I was "Speedcubing" earlier, my best time was 15.49 seconds for 2x2x2 (Speedcube Ultimate, ordered at Cubicon) and 46.38 for 3x3x3 (Speedcube Ultimate, ordered at Cubicon).

I use the Friedrich Method (I slightly have shorten it down for some special cases, you will do that after a bit of trying too) for 3x3x3 and I figured out how to solve the 2x2x2 by myself, currently I am puzzling with the 4x4x4.

Also I own the 2x2x4, the Delta Ball, some cheap no-name rubiks, a original one and some similar puzzles I don't even know how to describe...

So, thats it Smile
So, did you ever learn the Petrus Method?
No, I havent tried it out.
Yes, I have only been cubing since June, but my PB is 24.9 secs.

Petrus is really good for Fewest Move Competitions (FMC) since it is really efficient, but not so much for speedsolving anymore.

CFOP (or Fridrich) is the most popular method among speedcubers. There is also ZZ and Roux. ZZ has the potential to be faster than CFOP, but it still needs some development and dedicated cubers.

I would say if you wanted to really get into cubing check out [url]reddit.com/r/cubers[/url] or the speed solving forum.

As far as CFOP goes, there are different levels of the method.
    1. Highest Level: Cross, F2L, Full OLL, Full PLL
    2. Cross, F2L, 2-Look OLL, 2-Look PLL
    3. Cross, F2L, 2 Algorithm OLL, 2 Algorithm PLL

Right now, I am on step 2, but it isn't very hard to be step 1, it just takes time.

Also, I own several other puzzles: 3x3 Hualong, 4x4 Aosu, 7x7 Mini SS, 7x7 Cubic Aofu, Yusu Megaminx, MoYu Pyraminx, X-Cube, Meffert's GearBall, MoYu Skewb

So I can help you with any beginner questions/problems.
My new best is now 58:70! Woot!

RascalJack: So how hard is CFOP to learn? You're on Step 2; how long did it take to learn step one and how is step two going?
gaventemples31415 wrote:
My new best is now 58:70! Woot!

RascalJack: So how hard is CFOP to learn? You're on Step 2; how long did it take to learn step one and how is step two going?

Step One just takes practice because F2L (First 2 Layers) is completely intuitive. It does have some algorithms, but they aren't worth learning until you feel you method for solving pairs is slow. I would check out YouTube for some good F2L Tutorials (Badmephisto, CrazyBadCuber, etc.). Step 2 is going good so far, I'm just needing to learn some more algorithms to finish 2-Look on Both before I will learn full PLL.
Alright, new news:
Best time = 48 seconds, average time is about a minute!

Learning Step 3 of CFOP (OLL) is a pain in the butt, and so is PLL!
I can't believe I hadn't noticed this thread before.

I average around 16-17 seconds with CFOP (full PLL, about half of full OLL) and my PB is 9.42 (PLL skip). I like 5x5 and 7x7 also. (5x5 average is ~2:45, 7x7 average is ~10 minutes)
Oh, wow, impressive!
How long did it take you to learn OLL(well, at least half of!) and PLL?
GTemples27 wrote:
How long did it take you to learn OLL(well, at least half of!) and PLL?

PLL took me a few months, I think. It's pretty fun. I've been learning OLL for a the past six months; I've really been slacking off. Razz If you learn 1-2 algs a day (which is not unreasonable) you can get it done in a month or two.
Oh, yeah, I've been trying like too many a day! I'm really impatient with this stuff and like to get things done in like a few days.
That ain't happenin' for this, though!
GTemples27 wrote:
Oh, yeah, I've been trying like too many a day! I'm really impatient with this stuff and like to get things done in like a few days.
That ain't happenin' for this, though!

Take your time learning PLL. If you get it done in a month you're making good time.
Yeah, I've got 4 memorized. It's taking a bit of time.

It seems like some of the cases I find aren't listed on my document. And I'm not learning 2-look PLL, so that isn't the case. It's annoying, cause then I have to do two different algs.
GTemples27 wrote:
And I'm not learning 2-look PLL, so that isn't the case. It's annoying, cause then I have to do two different algs.

LEARN 2-LOOK PLL/OLL!!!
1. It will make you faster in the meantime.
2. The 2-look algorithms are a SUBSET of the 1-look. Ex. If it just so happens that the edges are already solved when you arrive at PLL (1/8 chance) then you will use your 2-look PLL corner permutation algorithm.

As for some cases not showing up in your document, try turning the top layer. Sometimes those G-perms and E-perms can be elusive. Wink
Okay, will do!

Hmmm... Some still don't work. The edge pieces don't follow any patterns.
GTemples27 wrote:
Hmmm... Some still don't work. The edge pieces don't follow any patterns.

If neither the edges nor corners line up nicely, you may have a G-perm. See if you can get two adjacent pieces (one edge and one corner) to line up with the first two layers, then look for a pair of headlights. (The headlights won't match up with the F2L.)

If you can satisfy the above criteria but the headlights match up with F2L, it is an R-perm.
If all the edges match up and only one corner does, it's an A-perm.
If all the corners match up and only one edge does, it's a U-perm.
If the edges match up nicely but none of the corners do, it's an E-perm.
If the corners match up nicely but none of the edges do, it's either a Z-perm or H-perm.
If two separate pairs of adjacent pieces match up, it's either a T-perm, Y-perm, or N-perm.
If four adjacent pieces match up with the F2L, it's a J-perm. (Sometimes this may look like only two adjacent pieces line up, but there will be no headlights.)
If you get a line of three in a row (corner-edge-corner) that are correct and it's NOT a U-perm, then it's an F-perm.
If that line of three is edge-corner-edge and it's not an A-perm, it's a V-perm.
I'm a speedcuber in training with a best time of 1:05. I've never heard of half these algorithms. Welp, Googling time!
Eightx84 wrote:
I'm a speedcuber in training with a best time of 1:05. I've never heard of half these algorithms. Welp, Googling time!

I would suggest checking out www.reddit.com/r/cubers

I hang out there a lot. /u/RascalJacque
Eightx84 wrote:
I've never heard of half these algorithms. Welp, Googling time!

ME TOO!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours