Seeing as the CE is in need of more useful programs, I decided to make an (at least for now) simple text editor for it. You can create, edit, rename, and delete notes with the variable-width font, and even import notes from your computer and then edit them on-calc. Thought this might be helpful to some. Also, the way I set things up makes it easy to add new functions, so if you would like anything more, please post and I will consider implementing it. For now, give it a try, and please report any bugs or errors that you may find! Thanks all! Also, things like text wrapping are next on my to-do list.
Smile

Download: TextEditorCE

This is basically a massive update to the TextViewerCE program, so this is a lot more useful. However, if you just wish to view text files, then you can use this:

Download: TextViewerCE
Very nice Very Happy

I've noticed that if I run the converter program from within the same folder, the generated .8xv is valid, but otherwise it isn't (I see part of the absolute path being written into the 8xv... buffer overflow somewhere?)

Edit: I ran the converter with Wine, FWIW.
Adriweb wrote:
I've noticed that if I run the converter program from within the same folder, the generated .8xv is valid.

Ah, I forgot to account for that. So if the program is located in directory A, and you are converting the file in directory B, it fails? Sure, I can fix that right up.
Good Smile

Since you want bug reports, here's another one: it doesn't like accents:P
I suppose you only support ASCII for now, though.
Adriweb wrote:
I suppose you only support ASCII for now, though.

Hm, I wrote it to support the full extended ASCII table, but I guess for some reason the converter doesn't like accents. Smile Will look into it, and add support for inserting accented symbols.
Some ideas (in no particular order) :
  • [2nd][arrows] for moving the cursor around quickly, not one char. by one char.
  • Char. count in the status bar ? or at the top right
  • Selection and Copy/Paste
  • Not sure about that, but: attributes on the file (especially in the file browser), for instance if you're able to grab the date/time from the OS and assign it to the last modified date, that'd be nice.
  • In the file list: being able to duplicate a file
  • In the file list: sort by filename (and if attributes get implemented, by attributes)

Also, translated it to French since you allowed me too Smile

The one thing that's not right is when I try to delete a file. the "yes"/"no" strings aren't at the right place. Could you change the behaviour so that they are always positioned after the deleteStr? I've tried some changes but couldn't figure it out well enough (yay my z80 skills...)
Are you familiar with the dynamic programming solution to word-wrap?

Also, how do you handle inserting characters at earlier points in the edit buffer?
elfprince13 wrote:

Nope, but sounds like a good thing to look into. Smile

elfprince13 wrote:
Also, how do you handle inserting characters at earlier points in the edit buffer?

The buffer is a fixed size (But the text itself is only displayed until it reaches a NULL byte), and it copies from (BufferSize-InsertAmount) to (BufferSize) backwards until it reaches the cursor location. It's basically just a little LDDR routine.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

Nope, but sounds like a good thing to look into. Smile

Definitely Smile It has something like O(n^2) runtime, but looks a *lot* better than the greedy approach, and you only need to re-run it from the line where you're editing (similar to insert), so it's at least worth trying out.
When I make a new text document using the program without having first edited another document, it does not allow me to switch to Alpha mode and name it with letters (except for the capital X). Instead, I have to just kind of name it and then edit it and then rename it to what I want it to be.
readroof2 wrote:
When I make a new text document using the program without having first edited another document, it does not allow me to switch to Alpha mode and name it with letters (except for the capital X). Instead, I have to just kind of name it and then edit it and then rename it to what I want it to be.

Fixed and updated, I believe. Other things will be implemented later, once I finish a couple other items on the agenda. Smile
Wow! This program looks amazing and I love the font! (It's much better than TI's small font... Mind if I use that in my own ASM program?) May I suggest a *slightly* alternate input method? Maybe [Alpha] switches between normal input (numbers and symbols) and letter input, and then [2nd] acts as a sort of shift key. So both [2nd] and [Alpha] could be active at once. See below:
• None - normal numbers and symbols
• [2nd] - normal secondary input (blue text above buttons)
• [Alpha] - normal letter input (green text above buttons)
• [2nd] + [Alpha] - lowercase text input

There is also no way (AFAIK) to type things like an exclamation point or special symbols. Other than those few suggestions, this is SUPER cool! Very Happy
I think I found a very strange consequence of whatever screen mode your text editor is using. I plugged my calculator into my computer while your program was running, and this happened: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dl5fl8ehv2spp6y/2015-10-04%2017.18.49.jpg. A reboot fixed it. Just an interesting side effect...
Hactar wrote:
I think I found a very strange consequence of whatever screen mode your text editor is using. I plugged my calculator into my computer while your program was running, and this happened: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dl5fl8ehv2spp6y/2015-10-04%2017.18.49.jpg. A reboot fixed it. Just an interesting side effect...

That is a side effect of me using the system routines for input. Easily fixable, but not high on my to-do list.

Hactar wrote:
Wow! This program looks amazing and I love the font! (It's much better than TI's small font... Mind if I use that in my own ASM program?)

Sure, of course. That's what it is for. Smile I believe the text data is located in the "data\ImageData". This program uses a variable-width implementation, in addition to the display routines being written for 8bpp. If you need any assistance making the routine a 16bpp one, I'd be happy to help Smile

Hactar wrote:
May I suggest a *slightly* alternate input method? Maybe [Alpha] switches between normal input (numbers and symbols) and letter input, and then [2nd] acts as a sort of shift key. So both [2nd] and [Alpha] could be active at once.

I really like this idea! Most of the time you will be typing in lowercase, so it would make sense to only change to upper if you are starting a sentence or something. Thanks!

Hactar wrote:
There is also no way (AFAIK) to type things like an exclamation point or special symbols.

Yep, that's also on my to-do list, is to implement a table with selectable characters and add an exclamation point somewhere.

Also, for future reference, please try not to post within 24 hours of yourself. It is just one of those forum rules here. Thanks!
While using the program to edit some stuff, I noticed that it scrolls up/down by the number of characters from the left the cursor is. For example, if you have this:

This is a bunch of letters
jsdfkj jefji jeifjosedf josief

and then press up/down, it will move the cursor to the same position based on that number of characters. However, it is unnatural because different characters (like the space) take different numbers of pixels. It causes scrolling to go from
................................|
to
jskfdjioejof |

Basically, I think that scrolling up and down should be based on the cursor position in pixels, not characters.
I got the program to run but it will not detect any files I have loaded to the calculator (TI 84 Plus CE)
I can only create new documents. I would like to upload documents from my computer. Any help on this?
champstar2727@hotmail.com wrote:
I got the program to run but it will not detect any files I have loaded to the calculator (TI 84 Plus CE)
I can only create new documents. I would like to upload documents from my computer. Any help on this?

Step 1) Download https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1290
Step 2) Place your text file in 'PutTextFilesHere'
Step 3) Run 'ConvertToText.bat'
Step 4) Send files to calculator that were produced in 'Converted Files' directory.

Hope this helps! Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
champstar2727@hotmail.com wrote:

Step 1) Download https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1290
Step 2) Place your text file in 'PutTextFilesHere'
Step 3) Run 'ConvertToText.bat'
Step 4) Send files to calculator that were produced in 'Converted Files' directory.

Hope this helps! Smile

Thanks, but I've tried that and the files still do not show up when I open the program. I can only create a new file. How are you sending files to the calculator? I am just dragging and dropping saving to the archive.
Hactar wrote:
May I suggest a *slightly* alternate input method? Maybe [Alpha] switches between normal input (numbers and symbols) and letter input, and then [2nd] acts as a sort of shift key. So both [2nd] and [Alpha] could be active at once. See below:
• None - normal numbers and symbols
• [2nd] - normal secondary input (blue text above buttons)
• [Alpha] - normal letter input (green text above buttons)
• [2nd] + [Alpha] - lowercase text input

There is also no way (AFAIK) to type things like an exclamation point or special symbols.

I have updated the text editor to support this new style of input, and I must say it is pretty great Very Happy Also, I added double quotes and the exclamation point as well. Enjoy; and download to hopefully come shortly! It has many optimizations to make text rendering much quicker, along with some other minor things Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours