Spenceboy98 wrote:
So what did you guys think of the latest episode. I'm happy that the screwdriver is back. Smile Also, something I'm confused about: The memory block was configured for a human. Could it affect the Doctor in any different way? Maybe not, since he's half human.

elfprince13 wrote:
Charlie Jane, over at io9 summed up my feelings pretty well on the end of season. I'm confused by the relationship by the Sisterhood of Karn and the Timelords, although apparently it's been a thing since way before Moffat. Overall I thought this season was a lot better than the last one, barring that sonic sunglasses nonsense. Also, the Doctor was definitely way overplaying the "it took me billions of years to get here" thing, since he doesn't remember more than, what, the last 12 hours of it?

I'm meh about it. I think it was one of the better episodes this season for sure. I was able to catch a few similarities. The Doctor started playing the song from "The Zombie on the Orient Express" as well as the diner was the same as the one Rory, Amy and River got an Invite to meet the Doctor when Matt Smith was still part of the show but they covered that base.

I don't think he overplayed the "it took me billions of years to get here," it technically did but it was all within the time thingy that entrapped him. So while it might have felt like 12 hours it took him billions of years. You don't go to sleep on the plane and say "It took me... 30 minutes to get here? I felt like I was asleep that long." You say the duration of your flight. In this case his flight was billions of years. While that's the principle I'm going with, he didn't age billions of years. He only aged for the duration the last copy was alive in the time thingy. So, by your post, 12 hours. I don't think there's a wrong answer but I am inclined to believe the billions of years. I am pretty sure he mentions that the Time Lords have hidden them selves at the end of the universe and I think he mentions a time frame of "billions of years in the future" around that point too and I'm pretty sure he didn't time travel when he stepped out, I am inclined to believe he stepped out after those years he spent within the time dial or w/e.
I just meant he was way too angsty about a billion years going by when the timelapse didn't cost him anything, since he kept getting rematerialized from the teleport buffer.
So, I'd like to point out something, not sure if it's what they intended, though.

The Time Lords put themselves at the end of time to hide from their enemies. (Latest episode)

The Doctor (10) ends up at the end of time with Martha and Cap'n Jack, where people of Earth are prepping a ship to go to one last place that seemed to have light and hope. (Potentially Gallifrey)

The Master sends these people there, and later transforms them into monsters. Honestly, I'd say they were almost a cross between Dalek and humans. Missy sure seemed to know a LOT about Daleks. And with the amount of people that were transformed, he'd have had to have help, and the resources to do so. The President of Gallifrey seemed quite eager to destroy Earth to get out of the time lock of the war..

Does it seem like a stretch?
I had completely forgotten about that previous season finale that supposedly also took place at the End of Time; thanks for the reminder. I have sufficiently little faith in Moffat to assume that he was just riding roughshod over Davies' previous canon about Utopia and the End of Time, but if Gallifrey was indeed where the Master came with the remnants of the human race, that would be extremely cool, and I'd love to see how that plays out. My doubt and skepticism prevents me from considering that too likely, though, I'm afraid.
Christmas Special, 2015: The Husbands of River Song

My hopes of getting River as the next companion were raised, then demolished. The writers then put up scaffolding to make me believe they're building that Wall of Hope again but it could just be masquerading as a new companion.

Also, that speech she gave was 100%.
The Christmas special really picked it up a notch at the end. That definitely wasn't scaffolding for her to join up again, since they're sending her off to the library. I think I'd like the beginning a lot more too under the assumption that River is essentially an unreliable narrator.

This was a good review.
Overall I enjoyed the episode, but certainly more the last third or so once she realised who he was. To be honest, the Christmas specials are rarely my favourite episode of the year, and that's still the case here, but it was probably one of my favourite Christmas specials. It was great to finally get to see 12 & River together - I think it was a foregone conclusion that Capaldi & Kingston would have great chemistry.
New Doctor Who companion revealed in clip!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03rzc48
Selena wrote:
New Doctor Who companion revealed in clip!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03rzc48
Specifically, thanks to the helpful text at the end of the clip, Pearl Mackie as "Bill". Thanks for posting!
Rumor mill time! I want this to be true so badly.
http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/is-john-barrowman-going-to-be-in-this-years-doctor-who-christmas-special
More rumors, this one that Matt Smith could return as The Doctor. Personally, I don't really care too much; I think I prefer Peter Capaldi's Doctor, and I'm not particularly enthused unless they could bring back the epic acting that David Tennant embodied.

http://screenrant.com/doctor-who-matt-smith-season-10-11/
If I remember the article I read correctly, Capaldi is due to leave at the end of the 2017 season anyways. So, don't get too attached ;(
KermMartian wrote:
...and I'm not particularly enthused unless they could bring back the epic acting that David Tennant embodied.

I completely agree. David Tennant was the best Doctor in my opinion. With a close following of Tom Baker
There's been news and rumors about two Doctor Who spinoffs, one old and one new. For the old one, John Barrowman has talked further about the "egos" (Moffat, most likely) preventing Torchwood from returning, so hopefully with Moffat stepping down that can move forward.
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-09-09/torchwood-return-stalled-by-certain-egos-says-john-barrowman

In addition, a friend told me about "Class", a new spinoff aimed at a similar audience to The Sarah Jane Adventures:
http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2016/04/doctor-who-spin-off-class-cast-is-revealed
I'm probably living in a dream world, but I feel like every time Eccleston is asked about his time on Doctor Who, he opens up a little more and seems a little less "I'd never do it again". I hope Nine makes an appearance again one day.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/eccleston-it-was-tragic-that-i-didnt-play-the-doctor-for-longer-81037.htm

In the audio clip on the link above, the DW talk starts at about 3:52 Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours