Argon IDE
Hello everyone! I just recently tried Celtic CE and wanted a better program editor, but the best result I found was Krypton IDE, which unfortunately is riddled with bugs and has not been updated in a while. I set out to create my own - in Celtic CE!
I plan to include features similar to Krypton and a few more. These would include:
- Smaller font
- Faster scrolling
- Customization
- Line numbers (just for reference, you won't be able to use Goto with them)
- Directly creating/editing AppVars! I don't know how useful this would be, but I imagine someone will find a use.
This is not an exhaustive list, of course, but these are the major points. A few things I would like to include but I may not be able to do:
- Code highlighting
- Better help menu! No more having to open the catalog for commands that aren't readily available in the usual math and programming menus. Now you may be able to just press F3 while the cursor is over a command in the program.
If there is one thing you should know, it is that I am exceedingly skilled in starting ambitious projects and then completely forgetting about them the next day in favor of another ambitious project that will also never be finished.
To avoid what happened with Krypton IDE, I have a GitHub repository (see below) that will be updated every once in a while with the 8xp file, source code, and detailed documentation for the code itself. This way, if someone really wants it to be finished and I don't, then they are welcome to keep it going. For now though, I will be updating it regularly.
Currently, I am working on the New Program menu which allows you to create a new program directly from Argon IDE or an AppVar (no option for that yet)
Lastly, here is real proof that it exists:
https://dozerstudios.com/argonide-mainmenu.png
https://dozerstudios.com/argonide-newprgm.png
https://dozerstudios.com/argonide-earlyedit.png
(click the link, because for some reason the img BBCode tags won't display an image in my post)
It has a very clean interface, in my opinion. If, for some reason, you would like to get your hands on it before it can do anything useful, you can download the latest release from GitHub: https://github.com/dozer8383/Argon-IDE/releases.
Share your thoughts on this! Thank you!
I'm unable to view the screenshots. Maybe try using a different hosting service, I'm not sure?

Anyways, this sounds like a cool project and I can't wait to see how it goes! It seems like an ambitious project (Like you said yourself) but I'm really looking forward to more updates. I assume this is going to be for TI-BASIC programs specifically (along with AppVars)?

Good luck Smile
I'm actually using my own website to host the images, so that would explain.
Argon IDE will be capable of editing Celtic CE programs, in addition to TI-BASIC and the AppVars. I'll be giving Celtic CE stuff special treatment (i.e. detailed help pages, color reference for both Xlibc and 1555 modes, etc.) since I am familiar with it and it works really well, but I may integrate other things like assembly and C. I have never used C to program anything for my calculator, so it could be a while, if at all. The closest thing I've done is coding for the Wii U in C++ (and it was nothing impressive).
I'm excited to try this. Also the screenshots work for me.
A little update: Right now, I have it set up to make an actual file that you can name and it can read it. I'm temporarily shifting my focus to making an alphabetically sorted file list where you can open preexisiting files. The hardest part of coding the editor is definitely going to be reading/writing to the files for real, since the Str variables don't play nicely with blank strings (""->Str9 will return an error and/or reset RAM). I will be making use of AppVars of course, especially for things like the clipboard and other editing functions, since there are limited strings and I want to leave most of them open for other people's programs. I will upload my progress to GitHub later today.
Noice! I was going to start working on an IDE, but it looks like you beat me to it!
Good Job! Cant wait to try it!
Quote:
Also, if anyone knows some cool tricks to getting key input without using 26 If:Then statements, let me know here. For now, it works and its not as laggy as I had initially feared.

Maybe you can use something like this? Not sure how it compares performance-wise, but it felt usable when I tested it on its own.

Code:
"Somewhere before..."
"ABC??DEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"→Str8
"In a loop"
getKey→K
If K≥41 and K≤93:Then
sub(Str8,5int(K/10)-20+remainder(K,10),1
If Ans≠"?"
Str9+Ans→Str9
End

This also could let you switch what is being typed by changing Str8.
Minxrod wrote:
Quote:
Also, if anyone knows some cool tricks to getting key input without using 26 If:Then statements, let me know here. For now, it works and its not as laggy as I had initially feared.

Maybe you can use something like this? Not sure how it compares performance-wise, but it felt usable when I tested it on its own.

Code:
"Somewhere before..."
"ABC??DEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"→Str8
"In a loop"
getKey→K
If K≥41 and K≤93:Then
sub(Str8,5int(K/10)-20+remainder(K,10),1
If Ans≠"?"
Str9+Ans→Str9
End

This also could let you switch what is being typed by changing Str8.

Thank you! I will try it out for sure. I spent way too long trying to fix the file-opening code I made, but it finally works (it was one of 'em pesky off-by-one errors). As usual, this little update will be put on GitHub soonish. I forget to upload the source code a lot, so just use TI Connect to edit it if I do forget. Thanks for all the interest in the project!
How is this project going? Any progress?
That's fun to see another editor project! Keep up the race to beat me at making a complete experience unlike Krpyton IDE! If you stop developing, it's unlikely that anyone will pick up your source for you. You are the only one who can complete your project.

(By the way, our editors have completely different ideologies, and so it's important they each get finished :) I'm against syntax highlighting and user-customization (to me I prefer it being the developer's job to tailor the experience, not the user))
i would love to have both so keep up the work
VitalAsh wrote:
That's fun to see another editor project! Keep up the race to beat me at making a complete experience unlike Krpyton IDE! If you stop developing, it's unlikely that anyone will pick up your source for you. You are the only one who can complete your project.

(By the way, our editors have completely different ideologies, and so it's important they each get finished Smile I'm against syntax highlighting and user-customization (to me I prefer it being the developer's job to tailor the experience, not the user))

I know I probably can't beat you, but I think I may be coming back around to this after a lot of time thinking that C is 100% superior (because it's not, to even my own surprise). My Linux computer that I used to program nearly everything on decided to just stop working, and now I'm waiting to get a proper gaming PC from my parents, so Celtic and TI-BASIC are my only outlets for programming right now.
Imagine being against code highlighting Razz
I see how having these two very different options are pretty much necessary, so I will keep working at this! Thanks for your interest!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours