I figure it'll be faster if we all look for plugins. Some of the plugins like Towny, WorldGuard, WorldEdit and others are staying. But we need new plugins. I know discussions aren't finalized but I think knowing what plugins are available to use can help us; I'd hate to say "yeah, let's do that!" then not find a plugin for it. If we can find a plugin for something, great, we know we can do that if we want. Otherwise we'll have to rethink how we do something.

To make things clearer, feel free to link to the related post in the Discuss Thread so we know where the plugin idea is coming from. I'll link each post with the plugins that stem from that post in this main post.

Mobs & Mob Levels
This is going to be the hardest thing to balance. I can find plugins that assign levels to mobs the father you get from spawn but nothing that takes multiple points into account. Also, I'm discovering that most of these plugins are RPG based, meaning we'll need a plugin to handle the player side of things such as level and skills. I'm not sure this is what we really want.

Miscellaneous
Plugins that don't really impact PvE gameplay or the economy but enhance other aspects of the game.

Feel free to suggest others and I'll add them to this list. As we decide on plugins I'll assign color values or something somehow so it's clear on what plugins are going to be added.

Just to clarify, just because there's a category doesn't mean a plugin will be used; No plugins are promised to make it into the final 1.9 server.
ChairsReloaded. Greatest plugin ever. Why is this not a part of vanilla Minecraft?
Here's what we're currently planning, based on feedback from users of our current server and discussions with other administrators:

To be used:
- Towny, with iConomy (and Vault) (requires Questioner)
- WorldGuard + WorldEdit
- EggCatcher seems to be sufficiently popular to keep
- LogBlock for logging and rollback
- SignShop (hooked into iConomy), but for player shops only. There will be no server shops
- Essentials (of course), with associated plugins
- Dynmap
- CraftIRC
- Multiverse

To be removed:
- NCP: With graylisting, NCP becomes extraneous, and has been increasingly problematic anyway
- CombatTagReloaded: With voluntary PvP, no longer needed
What about that one that turned glass blocks into all forms of block types? It was discussed in game chat, and people seemed to favor that one being added. Only one I'm seeing right now is called the SuperGlass mod. http://mcindex.net/minecraft-mods/superglass-mod/
I don't know what plugin it is, but on a server I saw a plugin that would show little hearts above players and mobs so you could see how much health they had left.

If anyone knows the plugin, please do tell.

EDIT: It turns out that it only displays the hearts above mobs, and not players.
Without directly addressing any of the suggestions put forth, I want to mention that we should stick to mods that only require a server-side component and require the client to install nothing.
KermMartian wrote:
Without directly addressing any of the suggestions put forth, I want to mention that we should stick to mods that only require a server-side component and require the client to install nothing.

I was only running OptiFine, CraftGuide. and a custom mod on the server with the plugin I mentioned. No client-side modifications were needed for it to work.
He wasn't addressing you specifically, it was a general statement before suggestions come in for such plugins.

KermMartian wrote:

I'd like to second this. Requiring client-side third party content will extremely limit the people who can and want to connect to our server.
comicIDIOT wrote:
He wasn't addressing you specifically, it was a general statement before suggestions come in for such plugins.
I know he didn't single anyone out, and that was purposeful, but I wanted to clarify that I did not need any mods on that server. The fact that he posted right after my suggestion made it seem like he could've thought my suggestion needed a mod but wasn't sure, and posted that anyways because he wanted to clarify that we should stick to server-side-only plugins. But maybe I'm reading between lines too much.

I fully agree with you and Kerm that we should only use plugins that can run with a vanilla MC client.
Is there a voluntary PvP mod with rankings and such available? PVPBot seems to do the job well enough, but I'm sure there is a more efficient way to do what PVPBot does as a mod.
http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/pvptoggle/
http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/pvp-arena/

These sound good for PvP stuff.
Those plugins haven't been updated since 2012 and 2013 respectively. I'd put those very low on the "We'll consider those plugins." Also PVPToggle seems to be unsupported with the current version of WorldGuard.
Sorry. Just trying to help with the PvP situation.

EDIT: This should do the trick: http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/pvpmanager/
Hitechcomputergeek wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I was only running OptiFine, CraftGuide. and a custom mod on the server with the plugin I mentioned. No client-side modifications were needed for it to work.

AFAIK, you cant make minecraft display the health of a player in hearts, but you can use scoreboards to display the players health as a number above their heads. The commands would be:

Code:

/scoreboard objectives add <name> health <display name(some text similar to name)>
/scoreboard objectives setdisplay belowname <name>
I wouldn't have thought it was possible, except I saw it working myself. HOWEVER, I have since learned that that functionality was provided by mcMMO, which unfortunately rules out that for the server. If you know anything about mcMMO, you'll know that it's out of the question for this type of server.

(Hmm, but I guess I could theoretically just download the mcMMO source and extract just that functionality from it.)

Edit: Aha, I just looked it up in the code on github. What it's doing is giving mobs custom names when you hit them, with the Unicode heart character (remember Java is unicode) and colors to make it look like a health meter. Clever. However, I guess I didn't realize it only worked on mobs. Makes sense if that's how they do it. The part of the code that handles this is here if anyone's interested.
I'd like to encourage more use of the web site. I feel like it's neglected but because it's only used for the map. I liked the time when we had stats and other things folks could use the site for.

I propose this Stats plugin. From the demo, it seems incredibly detailed and engaging. It probably wouldn't be too hard to re-style to go with the MC web site.

I'd like to bring Hawkeye back. I feel this will aide in the speed and accuracy of what's happening. Currently, I need to go to the physical location and use a Bedrock block to check a block. And I can only check that block. Not X-blocks around the source. With Hawkeye I could log in to the web portal and search around the coordinates so much easier.

In case we want to push forum registration to play on the server, and one account per person, there's a phpBB to MC bridge.

As far as economy goes, there's a plugin that rewards money on kills; player and mob. Also can pay to keep your items through death or revive on the spot. Among other things. We'd have to be careful and monitor farms, as so no one unfairly abuses the system with mob farms.

And then maybe, this jobs plugin could be a good idea to also incentivize mining and exploration.

*Some of these plugins seem to be really old and not working, like Hawkeye. Which is a shame. But I still want to look for similar plugins.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I propose this Stats plugin. From the demo, it seems incredibly detailed and engaging. It probably wouldn't be too hard to re-style to go with the MC web site.
We can certainly try it. My only concern is that it would fill the database with a huge amount of data, but certainly no more so than tracking every block placement and destruction and every chest transaction.

Quote:
I'd like to bring Hawkeye back. I feel this will aide in the speed and accuracy of what's happening. Currently, I need to go to the physical location and use a Bedrock block to check a block. And I can only check that block. Not X-blocks around the source. With Hawkeye I could log in to the web portal and search around the coordinates so much easier.
I like LogBlock myself, and it can search at arbitrary coordinates, with an arbitrary radius, filter by player name, and so on. If you want, I can sit down with you and review the powerful LogBlock command parameters with you.

In case we want to push forum registration to play on the server, and one account per person, there's a phpBB to MC bridge.

Quote:
As far as economy goes, there's a plugin that rewards money on kills; player and mob. Also can pay to keep your items through death or revive on the spot. Among other things. We'd have to be careful and monitor farms, as so no one unfairly abuses the system with mob farms.
Rewarding people for killing mobs or players sounds like a bad idea to me. Providing a way to pay to get your items back after you die sounds like it might be reasonable to me; I'd like to hear other opinions.

Quote:
And then maybe, this jobs plugin could be a good idea to also incentivize mining and exploration.
What makes this better than just hiring people without a plugin? This is a genuine question, not an invitation to an argument. Smile
Earning small amounts of money from mobs isn't a bad thing, gives MC more of an RPG feel.

I'd like to see some more variety in food products. Very Happy I saw a video where they had tomatoes in their world. We should investigate what kind of cool ones there are for that. If anyone else is interested in such things.

I think it'd be a good idea to have a level of user that's less than an admin, but can still see who broke/placed a block? Is that something that is possible with either of your suggestions? 2 admins only isn't a good thing when you both lead typically busy lives. Might be good to have a few trust worthy people that can look into such things.
KermMartian wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to bring Hawkeye back.
I like LogBlock myself, and it can search at arbitrary coordinates, with an arbitrary radius, filter by player name, and so on. If you want, I can sit down with you and review the powerful LogBlock command parameters with you.

That isn't my only problem, knowing the commands would be helpful but when all the output is in the chat window it can get really hard to follow up. Especially as an admin. As I witnessed today, between all the /msg's and chat I was receiving during the hunt, I missed an important message that would have made the hunt more "enjoyable" for one user and I probably missed several others. Then other than chat, I've got NCP messages and other notices filling my chat box.

I can scroll up and read the output from LogBlock to keep it in view without it quickly vanishing during busy periods but the chat box only has a history of so many lines. Plus, I'm not able to investigate when the the text dialogue is open. It'd be more convenient and accessible to have this info available outside of Minecraft. All I'd have to is alt-tab back and forth instead of having to scroll up the chat window and hope it's still viewable.

The above is probably a worst case but it's also no secret that I always advocate for a GUI over a CLI like experience.

Quote:
Quote:
As far as economy goes, there's a plugin that rewards money on kills; player and mob. Also can pay to keep your items through death or revive on the spot.
Rewarding people for killing mobs or players sounds like a bad idea to me. Providing a way to pay to get your items back after you die sounds like it might be reasonable to me; I'd like to hear other opinions.

Seconded. As we're going for a PvE server incentivizing PvP kills is a bad idea. But we can adjust the reward to 0d for PvP kills.

Quote:
Quote:
What makes this better than just hiring people without a plugin? This is a genuine question, not an invitation to an argument. Smile

I'll convey my train of thought on this. Because currently users would have to sell said materials back to the server. Thus it'd be a conflict between "Do I want this block or do I want the Denarii?" With the jobs plugin, users can decide they want to mine for money, farm, fish, build, or whatever for money. They'll keep the blocks they mine while earning money for said blocks. It's a win-win. It rewards adventure, mining, and other aspects of the game. We could disable the money off PvP and PvE kills from the above plugin and use that plugin for the other benefits while using this plugin solely for income.

tifreak8x wrote:
Earning small amounts of money from mobs isn't a bad thing, gives MC more of an RPG feel.

That's my thought on that as well. Like I said, we'd have to make sure folks don't create mob farms.

Quote:
I'd like to see some more variety in food products. Very Happy I saw a video where they had tomatoes in their world. We should investigate what kind of cool ones there are for that. If anyone else is interested in such things.

You're more than welcome to look for plugins that accomplish this.

Quote:
I think it'd be a good idea to have a level of user that's less than an admin, but can still see who broke/placed a block? Is that something that is possible with either of your suggestions? 2 admins only isn't a good thing when you both lead typically busy lives. Might be good to have a few trust worthy people that can look into such things.

Yup. I plan to invite users to a Moderator position at some point; it's certainly been discussed somewhere (perhaps under the general 1.9 topic?). I have a few members in mind now but as the game progresses under 1.9 I'll likely invite those with a level head and a great reputation to be a moderator.
On the one hand, don't forget that we'll be graylisting the 1.9 server, so the players will be people we already know are reasonably responsible and mature. On the other hand, I think it behooves us to develop a game setup that will enforce people not abusing mechanics to dominate any economy without any need for administrative enforcement, so I think that the item rewards of killing mobs should be incentive enough. I certainly find it satisfying to develop big, efficient machines to generate and/or kill mobs to collect lots of items without any direct monetary reward, since I can sell the items. Similarly, if I'm mining, I can set up a SignShop where I can sell my spoils, without needing to be paid specifically for the mining.

Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours