Had some thoughts on how to get sound out of the 84+ CE. I'm not going to try and implement it myself since I don't have a CE and there is no point in getting one for me either, but I thought I'd share the idea anyway.

Well, as you know we can't use the analogue link port anymore Sad But what we can use is the D- line of the USB. So the first step is to make an USB -> sound adapter.
Basically you'd just need to connect pin 2 (white line) to the tip of a mono jack, and connect pin 4 (black) to the ground. Perhaps it'd need some extra resistors/caps/whatever though, who knows.

Now for the software side. First, one should probably power off the USB. Now to make sound, you can use the usual link port tricks, alas only in mono (but with 2 volume levels). Instead of using the link port however, you'd toggle bits 3 and 4 of port 0x4A. Right?

DISCLAIMER: It's just an idea, and my knowledge of both USB stuff and electronics is very limited. So unless you feel like blowing up your brand new CE, don't try this at home folks Wink
Maybe I'm thinking all wrong, but would this allow sound on an nspire as well? (without having to solder wires onto the docking pins)
From what I (think I) know about USB and Aux ports are that Aux ports are Analogue and USB is Digital. This means that if you wanted audio coming out of a USB port all you could do is square waves.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
mr womp womp wrote:
Maybe I'm thinking all wrong, but would this allow sound on an nspire as well? (without having to solder wires onto the docking pins)

I don't know anything about the nspire, but if it has a possibility to directly control the D- or D+ lines, it should be possible as well. Provided it doesn't break the hardware.

Botboy3000 wrote:
From what I (think I) know about USB and Aux ports are that Aux ports are Analogue and USB is Digital. This means that if you wanted audio coming out of a USB port all you could do is square waves.

That's right, however it doesn't make a difference since we can't control the voltage of the Aux port either. In both cases we have to synthesize music the "1-bit" way, by toggeling on/off rapidly. So in this case we'd basically treat the USB like an analogue port. Again, I think the real question is if the TI hardware would survive such abuse.
Or, you could just get USB Headphones hooked up and send audio content to the USB Port. would that really be so hard? I mean, I'm not sure if the CE is strong enough for flawless sound, but it may be.
would this work?
Caleb_Hill wrote:
would this work?

only if you are plugging the aux cord into your I/O port, and the USB into a speaker. Currently, I am using something like this to get sound out of my calcs, but this doesn't solve the problem, the problem lies in the programming itself, rather than just the electronics to make it work. anyways, here is a picture of how I do it.
Caleb_Hill wrote:
would this work?

Perhaps this?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours