What's better System 1 or System 2?
System 1
 55%  [ 5 ]
System 2
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

The game will be for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. There are two systems I can use and I want to know which one is better. Please tell me your honest opinion.

System 1:
The game will have two characters and have skill-based stats. This means that while characters get hit a lot, their HP and Vitality will go up. If they use magic a lot, their MP and magic power will go up. It will be that kind of thing. Along with that, they will be able to equip any equipment they want and cast any spell. This system takes up a lot of memory.

System 2:
The game will have four characters and they all level up to gain stat points. As they gain a level, the player will be able to increase one of their stats. Certain equipment will be available for each character based on their Strength stat. Certain spells will be available based on their Wisdom and Spirit stats. This system will take up about a third as much memory as the other one and opens up room for a few bonus dungeons.

Which one do you prefer? I'll start this game next week.
So System 1 is like EVs from Pokemon, a bit, and System 2 is the standard RPG format. While System 1 sounds very interesting, it would be hard to control character growth in a single stat. It also seems like System 1 would see your stats increase faster, since you can be hit and use magic spells all in one turn.

Bonus dungeons are always great to see, so I'm voting for System 2.
I feel like if it was properly balanced, System 1 would be a little more fun, because you have a chance to "learn" as you practice a skill. Since I don't play many RPGs, it's harder for me to appreciate that System 2 is the "standard" model for RPGs, but I hear you that that's the case, 123outerme. A side note: why do you claim that System 1 would take 3 times as much memory as System 2? I can't see any reason for one system to take any more memory than the other.
You should edit your post to include a poll so you can more easily see which system people prefer.

That said, I'm voting for system one. Could you explain how/why it would take up so much memory, though?
For the people wondering why System 1 will be so much larger than System 2, it's because System 1 will involve having each individual stat having its own experience value to determine when it will increase. When it reaches the limit, it will increase. Not only that, but with all the different types of equipment and magic and the requirements for each, it adds up pretty fast.
Another thing to think about regarding System 1, Calc_Knight, is that if a player blazes through the game only using magic, for example, and there comes a point where they need to switch (boss only weak to regular attacks, no more powerful magic items dropping anymore, etc), it'll be, at best, an uphill climb. A workaround would be to allow stat points to be traded between two stats or to go back to previous dungeons and level up attack there.
I voted System 1 simply because such a system is different from most rpgs, and will be a nice change of pace for the calc archives. as for
[quote=Calc_Knight]...System 1 will involve having each individual stat having its own experience value to determine when it will increase.[/quote]
Cant you just use some (opposite of exponential) function? I think you use log( for that kind of thing, but AlgII was last year and I've forgotten.
Luxen: Log will be too slow; I think a constant times cube root could fit.

System 1 sounds much more interesting to me as well.
I like System 1 idea. However, please don't make it like Final Fantasy II for the NES where stat increases are entirely luck-based. (so that in your game you are guaranteed to get an increase as long as you get hit and stuff)

I hated when I spammed attacks on my own characters or used magic spells during 10 battles in a row, only to get no stat increase in 8 of them.
DJ_O wrote:
I like System 1 idea. However, please don't make it like Final Fantasy II for the NES where stat increases are entirely luck-based. (so that in your game you are guaranteed to get an increase as long as you get hit and stuff)

I hated when I spammed attacks on my own characters or used magic spells during 10 battles in a row, only to get no stat increase in 8 of them.

With ff2 it was luck based to a degree it also employed a ranking system which is not followed will result in the issues you had. A rank 2 attack will not level up a rank 7 evasion and similar. Where as a rank 7 attack will almost always level up a rank 2 defense (if you survive...) The engine actually works really well. I have been doing a replay of ff2 and once you understand the mechanics and not whine about them it's a very well executed system that is designed to keep both sides of the rpg world happy, The Casuals, And the masochists.

Regardless I believe I voted for style 1. Whilst slightly more complicated it leads to a better end design with more challenging balancing and mechanic design. Which in turn leads to a more thought out rpg. With that though. Style 2 is definitely the simpler and more authentic approach giving you less hassle with balance and being able to spend more time into game content. It really depends on where you want to go with it. Both have pros and cons.

Also see Escheron: Twilight over Ragnoth that will be a style 1 RPG for the calculator. Might help you with some ideas and planning!
Ah that might explain it, but when you don't have a walkthrough handy this mechanic can get pretty frustrating. I myself liked the game a lot, but I ended up with 6000 HP, did 1000 damage with my most powerful weapon except the blood swords which did 5000 and all my magic did 200 max. I kinda prefered the Mario RPG way where you level up normally, but can allocate bonus stats of your choice. Another trick could be to have experience required for each stat so that you know easier when you will level up.
I remember my playthrough in Final Fantasy II very clearly. I had Firion, Maria, and Guy with over 8000 HP (Maria had like 6000), 300 MP (Maria had 500), and every other stat around 80 (Firion and Guy had around 40 Magic while Maria had around 60 Strength and Vitality). I also remember having Firion with every weapon level at Lv10 while Guy had fists, swords, axes, and spears as Lv16. Maria also had maxed out Cure and Fire. For some reason, I gave Firion Ultima (which was at Lv12) even though he only had like four other spells.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours