hmmmm, seems to me like you're trying to fit ALOT of things into the case, I mean, its true there is quite a bit of free space, but remember there's already stuff in that big case :'), seems pretty ambitious to try and squeeze an arduino, a SparkCore, an EL pannel, and all of the wiring, BUT This is definitely an extremely cool project, and definitely deserves some attention! hopefully you can work that extra memory out, because I had looked into that not too long ago and everyone seemed to agree that it was not a feasible idea so hopefully this will make it more feasibilicious Wink
Good Luck! :3
mr womp womp wrote:
hmmmm, seems to me like you're trying to fit ALOT of things into the case, I mean, its true there is quite a bit of free space, but remember there's already stuff in that big case :'), seems pretty ambitious to try and squeeze an arduino, a SparkCore, an EL pannel, and all of the wiring, BUT This is definitely an extremely cool project, and definitely deserves some attention! hopefully you can work that extra memory out, because I had looked into that not too long ago and everyone seemed to agree that it was not a feasible idea so hopefully this will make it more feasibilicious Wink
Good Luck! :3

Why an Arduino and a Photon (not spark core)? The Photon can do both. And the EL panel wouldn't take any room, because it's located behind the screen, and wiring shouldn't take too much space if done properly.
Ivoah wrote:
Why an Arduino and a Photon (not spark core)? The Photon can do both. And the EL panel wouldn't take any room, because it's located behind the screen, and wiring shouldn't take too much space if done properly.

Ivoah, I considered your suggestion on combining the Arduino and photon, but I would have to decline and just jam in more hardware. I would just like to use Kerm's code straight to the Photon, and then write my own SD code for the Arduino, and keep them as separate entities.

Edit: After talkling on SAX, I think that Ivoah and I will work together on a combined gCn/SD code for the Photon. We are both getting Photons soon, and he says he'd be glad to help. We'll build off of Kerm's gCn code for the Core/Photon and ArTICL libs for the Arduino, as to have the Photon be both the gCn wifi card and the SD card interface.
*Bump* It's been almost a week, but no progress has been made due to one constraint.

I don't have a calc to do it with.

I really, really want to get an 83 silver, but I'm having trouble locating one for less than 40-50 dollars on ebay, even a broken one. Shopgoodwill stands pretty empty on a specialty calc like this, and amazon's 83 silver is 60 bucks.

So if anyone has a broken 83 silver you're willing to sell me (yes, I know they're hard to part with), or can lead me to finding one cheap, I would really appreciate your help.
www.ebay.com/itm/161688818707 seems pretty nice.
Kerm stated three years ago, "Isolated rows and columns are failures in the finer-pitched ribbon cable's connections; garbling is the coarser ribbon cable." - this would indicate www.ebay.com/itm/311353801851 is a lost cause.

Edit: OOPS I accidentally won www.ebay.com/itm/121662171345 right now... eh maybe you can have it? I'm paying $26.
CalebHansberry wrote:
www.ebay.com/itm/161688818707 seems pretty nice.

Edit: OOPS I accidentally won www.ebay.com/itm/121662171345 right now... eh maybe you can have it? I'm paying $26.

That top one does seem nice!

How much will it cost you to ship it to me? I may be able to give you $26+shipping. I'll PM you my ZIP code.

I did some more searching, and I found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181756478942
I am currently the highest bidder.
Shipping is probably $5, so $31. It's shipping to me now, I'll investigate it when it arrives as well.
I'm still not having much luck on ebay, but I'm awaiting for CalebHansberry to give people an update on the one he's getting. But he has to get it before he can give me an update....

I'm also waiting for my sd card breakout board to arrive, so I can start writing code for that...

[EDIT]

I found this on eBay and was wondering if it would be fixable. There are no missing pixel lines, so it should all be wide-ribbon issues, right?

[EDIT]

I just bought it, and I'll have it in a week. BigguyCT, who has experience in fixing 83's, has said it looked fixable, and if Kerm looks at it too, that would be great. I'll have it in a week, and I'll report back. Smile
So the calculator came in today. Not much to note, it's got a garbled screen. So... seeing as you bought one - good deal - what do you want me to do?
Thanks Caleb for reporting back, but I guess you can keep your calc Razz

http://lookpic.com/O/t2/1744/3fREMk8K.jpeg
http://lookpic.com/O/t2/1919/AIoPe5Vn.jpeg
http://lookpic.com/O/t2/669/NCsDRWRj.jpeg

Here are three images of the calc I got for this project. I got it for $22.99 off of eBay, I bought it because the screen was scrambled and it was labeled as "not working". It came in yesterday, and the screen was scrambled and all that jazz, but the more I played with it, the better the screen acted. Turns out I guess it just needed playing with. So I loaded MT3 and gave it a whirl. Works great! No screen repair needed! That saved me either hours of work or tens of dollars. It came with a few programs and all of the pre-installed apps; the programs were just storage spaces for lists, I'm assuming the lists are of lab results, as many are either linear or logarithmic/exponential.

My next plan of action are the things I can do without too much effort or money: the overclock and the built-in speakers. I found 2 identical old nokia's, and am currently devising a way to turn them into stereo speakers for the calc. I'm thinking about putting them in the bottom near the link port, facing toward the user. There is a LOT of space to work with, but I also have a LOT more things to cram in there (Photon, SD card board, backlight circuitry, rechargeable battery circuitry, etc.) I'm super excited that I can get this on a roll now! Very Happy
Alright, normally I'd object to buying something for somone just to have them say they don't need it (so please remember next time a situation like this arises not to make confligting arrangments!), but I actually was just wanting a TI-83+SE myself, and I was able to repair it with relative ease and it works great now. Here's my repair:
Oh I'm sorry, Caleb. I did not realize you bought that for me, I though that was an accidental win.
Ah, it's okay then Smile
So I....can't get my calc open. I have the right sized bit, and I got the top 4 screws out, but the bottom 2 are too deep for the bit to reach. I tried with a flat-head, but I ended up stripping the screwdriver. Not the screw, but the screwdriver. I'm looking around the shop at my school for a longer bit on Monday.

For now though, I want to get my speakers ready. I couldn't figure out/broke one of the Nokia speakers I had, but I found some piezo buzzers. I have 2 from two different old motherboards, and they are slightly different sizes, but they work. Well, kinda. One of them beeps as you think it should when applied 5v. The other one just clicks once. But when PWM'd, they both make sound. The one that actually buzzes is a wee bit louder, and has a wee bit better tone, but that's okay.

The linkport only supplies enough power to make a weak sound, so I need an amp circuit. I have access to both transistors and a dual-channel op-amp, so what do you guys suggest?

Oh, and I found this really cool switch. It is a dpqt (dual-pole, QUADRUPLE throw), so that would let me switch the tip and ring around to 4 different things separately (keeping ground the same throughout). It's a clunker, but it may fit on the side on the bottom (I still want to be able to fit the slide cover on, I don't mind things sticking out the sides)

I am looking into putting a PS/2 port in there somewhere too, but that may be pushing it space-wise.

This is getting to be a long post, but I have another question. The CR1620, the backup battery, is lithium, right? So could I dremmel out both the AAA part and the backup part and hook up the new lithium p battery to the backup spot directly and then the 5v boost to the battery terminals? That should work, right?

[Edit]
I got the calc opened. I ended up using a large phillips head to widen the opening so the bit could fit down in there. It's a little destructive, but I'm going to be drilling a lot out of this calc, so why not go ahead and start!
1a) In overclocking, would it be possible to have all 4 modes at 19-22 MHz? The 6-15-19-22 order is logical and all, but man wouldn't it be cool to have it all clocking between 19 and 22, something like 19-20-21-22, or if that would be too close a difference, all at the same speed? I'm not worried about power consumption, if that would be an issue. I'm sure it'd be safe, as all the hardware is completely capable of running that fast all the time.

1b) Would I just have to replace the resistors that control the lower speeds? With what resistance? Which resistors? I have a lot of soldering experience and am very comfortable with soldering to both the 83+SE's pre-made pads and the ASIC itself.

2a) I did some playing around with speakers yesterday, turns out the one bad piezo was really bad off. Made a quick amp with a couple of transistors, and the good one was great, but the bad one sounded like crushing cans. So my first thought was "I just won't have stereo, and live with mono".

2b) That would work if merging the tip and ring lines 1) did not cause destructive interference with the sound and 2) didn't block the link port from data transfer. I can add a switch (notable that big one from yesterday) to deal with the data stuff, but the distorted sound is a nono. Any ideas on how to deal with this?
NoahK wrote:
2a) I did some playing around with speakers yesterday, turns out the one bad piezo was really bad off. Made a quick amp with a couple of transistors, and the good one was great, but the bad one sounded like crushing cans. So my first thought was "I just won't have stereo, and live with mono".

2b) That would work if merging the tip and ring lines 1) did not cause destructive interference with the sound and 2) didn't block the link port from data transfer. I can add a switch (notable that big one from yesterday) to deal with the data stuff, but the distorted sound is a nono. Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Can't you just get a new speaker? I'm sure you can find something with a small speaker to take apart.
I could, but I like the idea of the piezo size/dB ratio. And if I want quality, I'll just plug in some headphones. A speaker amp circuit, even with this pwm thing, would have to deliver current more than voltage. With a piezo, I can just drive more voltage up there, making a 2 transistor (or 4, stereo) amp easy to implement (and it's super tiny)
I am here to announce the official start of this project. I have all the parts I need ordered and they will be arriving within the next 4 weeks or so. Here is what I'm working with:

TI-83+SE (Lots of room and it's transparent-ish)
Particle Photon (Using this as a basis)
Small LiPo pack and 5v converter (IIRC, 1000mAh)
MicroSD breakout board (Connected to the Photon using ArTICL)
A small amp and 2 piezos
EL panel for a backlight
Female PS/2 port for mouse and keyboard

Here we go!
It sounds like you're ready to take an exciting step forward on this project! Be sure to document it with photos and notes as you go, both to make it easier for other people to replicate your work, and for the rest of us to vicariously enjoy the project along with you here on Cemetech. Smile
My Photon and SD card breakout came in the mail last week, and I have been plying with those over the weekend. I did not realize that the Photon operates on 3.3v logic, so I may have to/be able to skip/chop off the 5<->3.3 logic converter on my SD card breakout.

The Photon is another story. This weekend, I spent a-many-an-hour on getting gCn working on it. I made some slight modifications to the Spark Core firmware Kerm wrote (original is linked above) to have it work on the Photon, and then ran into 2 major problems. 1) The Photon was not communicating with the gCnHub correctly (or so it seemed), and 2) The BRIDGCFG program did not work. The first problem was solved when Kerm found out that gCnIRCHub was not communicating with the IRC here, which was a (presumably) simple fix. Problem 2, on the other hand, is not solved as of yet. It would stink to always have to be on IRC and not WebHub or Sandpaper, and to always have to connect to the same AP, seeing as those credentials cannot be changed. I'm working on it, though.

Pictures coming soon.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours