Let me know if there's any way I can be of assistance. I hope someday I can fly over as a vacation.
Nik: That's a great idea. Unfortunately, we haven't received information about where our tent will be, but it can't hurt to ask so that we can start planning. Caleb: That's very kind of you to offer; we'll keep you posted.

By the way, a few finished to-do items, as seen in the photos below:
  1. 3D-printed AAA batteries have been perfected, and I just need to finish putting the rest of the batteries together.
  2. The double-side, one-page programming guide has been completed, and 100 copies have been made to hand out to visitors who try to make a guessing game. 25 more copies will be made.
  3. Our DirtyPCB-printed Whack-a-Mole multiplexer PCBs have arrived, so I'll be populating one of the boards tonight, possibly on HCWP.

*bump* Have some photos of the assembled Whack-a-Mole multiplexer PCB, six assembled battery sets, and an attempt at printing a battery cover that includes a notch for running wires through:

My To-Do list:
[X] Print out AAA dummies and attach screws, nuts, wires -> All printed; screws and wiring remains
[X] Write up AAA dummy battery project
[X] Create, print, and copy programming handouts. half-page? full page? -> Done, except for 25 more copies -> Done!
[X] Perfect and print 4 TI-83+ battery covers with spaces for wires -> Second test print in progress They're not good enough for publication as-is, but they'll work for the Faire.
[ ] Create/update pages of descriptions to put into frames -> Updated, printed, and trimmed; not yet tested in frames.
[ ] Update Flourish to use constant-sized balls -> Edited and reassembled; not yet tested
[ ] Create power adapter for floppy drive and interactive-side calculators
[ ] Create power adapter for 6 GPS/camera/networking-side calculators
[ ] Add insulation inside AAA dummy power jacks
[ ] Create, print, and assemble large programming tutorial -> printed! Needs to be attached to foam core -> done, except for cutting out the LCD area
[ ] Put together and test camera demo
[ ] Put together and test GPS demo
[ ] Buy tablecloths
[ ] Solder together the Whack-a-Mole multiplexer once the PCBs arrive -> Doneish. I want to redo the headers to look better.
[ ] Bring Tim dress shirt to be embroidered
[ ] Annoying but necessary life things for Faire: haircut, laundry, cleaning room for visitors

Tim:
[ ] Drill holes in blackboard material for calculator power (x7 holes)
[ ] Update the keyboard controller -> Make it CSE or CE
[ ] Put together the LEDs and sensors inside the Whack-a-Mole game
[ ] Stain/oil for displays
[X] Order shirts
[ ] Bring shirts to be embroidered
[ ] More command strips, if we don't have enough
[ ] Add playlist/continuous play support to mobileTunes and floppyTunes
[ ] Solder LVDS connections to LCD
[ ] Get Windows laptop with HDMI from friend
[ ] Set up and test programming demo
[ ] Construct floppy drive-to-calculator cable

Alec:
[ ] Make GoT and Mario floppyTunes songs
[ ] Bring speakers

Thomas/Alec/Tim/Christopher:
[ ] Bring power strips, USB cables (micro and mini), and USB power adapters
Hey look a keyboard calculator. This emulates a usb HID keyboard with keys mapped to wabbit emu.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98196116/MakerFaire2015/Maker%20Faire%20Keyboard%20Calc.zip

That aside can some people test and report back bugs?

Only one I know of is it seems to forget to release modifiers (2nd / alpha / clear) So it has some odd effects outside of wabbitemu.
geekboy1011 wrote:
Hey look a keyboard calculator. This emulates a usb HID keyboard with keys mapped to wabbit emu.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98196116/MakerFaire2015/Maker%20Faire%20Keyboard%20Calc.zip

Only one I know of is it seems to forget to release modifiers (2nd / alpha / clear) So it has some odd effects outside of wabbitemu.
That is hella cool. I loaded jsTIfied in my browser, ran that on my TI-84+CSE, and could control the jsTIfied in my browser with my physical calculator. And great job on the text on the screen! There's only a single typo: "Conroller" -> "Controller". Other than that, it looks ready to ship and move on to the next To-Do item. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
geekboy1011 wrote:

That is hella cool. I loaded jsTIfied in my browser, ran that on my TI-84+CSE, and could control the jsTIfied in my browser with my physical calculator. And great job on the text on the screen! There's only a single typo: "Conroller" -> "Controller". Other than that, it looks ready to ship and move on to the next To-Do item. Wink

This sounds amazing. Is there any way to make it work with the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition and Doors CS 7.2?
jonbush wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
geekboy1011 wrote:

This sounds amazing. Is there any way to make it work with the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition and Doors CS 7.2?

There already are programs that do this for the monochrome 84s, you might want to check out
usb8x and msd8x which basically allow your calculator to read content from a usb key (and I guess an external hard drive, I don't see why not) formatted in FAT16, or use a keyboard and mouse with your calc. Also, I can't find it anymore but I had tried a program called Jerry which I think was an add on for doors CS to use a mouse instead of the arrow keys Smile
SO this is based loosly off the works of brandonW and Hooloovoo. Hooloovoo made an axiom based off of brandons SMVIEW program which is based off of Ti's Smartpad app Which is available on ti's site. Now a version for use with wabbitemu is available on omnimaga. The link to that thread and other info is here
Yes jerry allows a USB mouse to be used with DoorsCS. USB8x and MSD8x do somethign completily differnt then this as they are designed as a standalone usb driver for the Caloculators. They are much more powerful then this. This little program uses some fancy bcalls Ti left us to emulate a keyboard that is it.

Kerm. I will fix that stuff later, and upload over the old one. So Ill ding you when it is updated.
geekboy1011 wrote:
SO this is based loosly off the works of brandonW and Hooloovoo. Hooloovoo made an axiom based off of brandons SMVIEW program which is based off of Ti's Smartpad app Which is available on ti's site. Now a version for use with wabbitemu is available on omnimaga. The link to that thread and other info is here

When I try to transfer the "usbpad8x" file to my calculator, TI-Connect displays the message "USB communication error: The operating system on the device does not support the version of the variable being sent (8C080030)."
jonbush wrote:
geekboy1011 wrote:

When I try to transfer the "usbpad8x" file to my calculator, TI-Connect displays the message "USB communication error: The operating system on the device does not support the version of the variable being sent (8C080030)."

Yeah, I had that issue too.
Update time.

My To-Do list:
[X] Print out AAA dummies and attach screws, nuts, wires -> All printed; screws and wiring remains
[X] Create, print, and copy programming handouts. half-page? full page? -> Done, except for 25 more copies -> Done!
[X] Perfect and print 4 TI-83+ battery covers with spaces for wires -> Second test print in progress They're not good enough for publication as-is, but they'll work for the Faire.
[X] Create/update pages of descriptions to put into frames -> Updated, printed, and trimmed; not yet tested in frames. -> All done; also bought two extra maroon frames
[X] Create power adapter for floppy drive and interactive-side calculators -> All done
[X] Add insulation inside AAA dummy power jacks -> All done, including replacing two defective female jacks
[X] Create power adapter for 6 GPS/camera/networking-side calculators
[ ] Update Flourish to use constant-sized balls -> Edited and reassembled; not yet tested
[ ] Create, print, and assemble large programming tutorial -> printed! Needs to be attached to foam core -> done, except for cutting out the LCD area
[ ] Put together and test camera demo -> Resoldered; working on calculator-side software. Need to check if it will fit in the case.
[ ] Put together and test GPS demo
[X] Buy tablecloths -> 3 red tablecloths purchased
[ ] Solder together the Whack-a-Mole multiplexer once the PCBs arrive -> Doneish. I want to redo the headers to look better.
[ ] Annoying but necessary life things for Faire: haircut, laundry, cleaning room for visitors

Tim:
[ ] Update the keyboard controller -> Make it CSE or CE -> Just needs a typo fixed!
[ ] Stain/oil for displays
[X] Order shirts
[ ] Solder LVDS connections to LCD
[ ] Get Windows laptop with HDMI from friend

Alec:
[ ] Bring speakers

Slowly chugging away at that. Ivoah JonBush lets continue your issue in the thread I linked. As to not derail this one. Which is for planning maker fair shennanagins.

Link above is updated for Cosmetic changes. Also added how to quit the program in the read me, Whoops.
I've been updated the To-Do list in my preceding post with new progress; here are a few photos demonstrating (1) the battery covers; (2) the power supply for the networking/GPS/camera side of the table; (3) the picture frame, including the two new maroon ones I bought today.

*bump*

My To-Do list:
[X] Create/update pages of descriptions to put into frames -> Updated, printed, and trimmed; not yet tested in frames. -> All done; also bought two extra maroon frames
[X] Create power adapter for floppy drive and interactive-side calculators -> All done
[X] Add insulation inside AAA dummy power jacks -> All done, including replacing two defective female jacks
[X] Create power adapter for 6 GPS/camera/networking-side calculators
[X] Update Flourish to use constant-sized balls -> Edited and reassembled; not yet tested -> Tested, functioning, transferred to all four calculators for this demo
[X] Put together and test camera demo -> Resoldered; working on calculator-side software. Need to check if it will fit in the case. -> Resoldered (again), calculator side working, including demo software.
[X] Put together and test GPS demo -> Done, including overhauling the software slightly.
[X] Buy tablecloths -> 3 red tablecloths purchased
[ ] Finish the TI-BASIC Whack-a-Mole game
[ ] Build calculator-to-MSP432 cable for Whack-a-Mole that includes the pullup resistors
[X] Use cut-apart USB cable to build power supply for networking shield -> Done.

Tim:
[ ] Update the keyboard controller -> Make it CSE or CE -> Just needs a typo fixed!
[ ] Stain/oil for displays -> I [Kerm] prefer we use some kind of stain, but I bow to the experts
[X] Order shirts
[X] Solder LVDS connections to LCD -> Done and tested!
[X] Get Windows laptop with HDMI from friend
[ ] Make stands to hold programming display from blackboard material
[ ] Print 4x TI-84+ battery covers -> 1/4 printed
[ ] (w/ Kerm) make sure we have necessary connection cables for networking and other demos

Alec:
[ ] Bring speakers

How well do the battery panels snap in/out and hold up to the flexing?
The GPS demo looks great Kerm! What did you change, was it just stability stuff? Also, I notice it's no longer being powered by the micro USB port, is that not possible anymore?
elfprince13 wrote:
How well do the battery panels snap in/out and hold up to the flexing?
If you mean the battery covers, just as well as the real things, which are also fabricated out of ABS plastic. For the TI-83 Plus battery covers that I printed, the fit is pretty good, so I expect that they'll do what they need to do without breaking. Smile
Ivoah wrote:
The GPS demo looks great Kerm! What did you change, was it just stability stuff? Also, I notice it's no longer being powered by the micro USB port, is that not possible anymore?
Thank you! The changes were (1) using the crystal timers instead of the CPU clock as a time basis, and devising a table of timings to get closer to an ideal 4800baud; (2) making the program extract time, latitude, and longitude from the GPGGA message as well (not just the GPRMC message, which isn't sent very often). You're correct about the power: I didn't have the right kind of USB plug, so I had bridged two pins inside the mini-USB plug with solder, which was not a very viable long-term solution. To make sure that the module is stable and functional for Maker Faire, it's powered from the camera demo's Arduino for a nice stable 5V supply.
KermMartian wrote:
You're correct about the power: I didn't have the right kind of USB plug, so I had bridged two pins inside the mini-USB plug with solder, which was not a very viable long-term solution. To make sure that the module is stable and functional for Maker Faire, it's powered from the camera demo's Arduino for a nice stable 5V supply.

So with the proper connector it is still possible to have this be powered by the calc?
Ivoah wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
You're correct about the power: I didn't have the right kind of USB plug, so I had bridged two pins inside the mini-USB plug with solder, which was not a very viable long-term solution. To make sure that the module is stable and functional for Maker Faire, it's powered from the camera demo's Arduino for a nice stable 5V supply.

So with the proper connector it is still possible to have this be powered by the calc?
Yep! I commented out the code for that in the current version we'll be using for Maker Faire, because the program hangs if nothing's plugged into the USB port when it tries to enable VBUS power, but it's one #define away from being available.
KermMartian wrote:
Ivoah wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Yep! I commented out the code for that in the current version we'll be using for Maker Faire, because the program hangs if nothing's plugged into the USB port when it tries to enable VBUS power, but it's one #define away from being available.

Coolio! What kind of GPS module does it require?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours