*bump* I have put together a preliminary two-sided, 8.5"x11", one-page guide to learning to program that people can play with for 10 or 15 minutes at home to get their feet wet with TI-BASIC programming before they come to Cemetech and/or buy Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus. Please give me some feedback on content, proofreading, and clarity!

Maker Faire 2015: Learn to Code
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* I have put together a preliminary two-sided, 8.5"x11", one-page guide to learning to program that people can play with for 10 or 15 minutes at home to get their feet wet with TI-BASIC programming before they come to Cemetech and/or buy Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus. Please give me some feedback on content, proofreading, and clarity!

Maker Faire 2015: Learn to Code

Looks great!
Very nice, Kerm Smile It looks like the example programs should be relatively easy to understand from a non-programmer mind standpoint.

Not that it's necessary, but another example program could be animations, something like:

Code:

ClrDraw
For(A,0,50
Text(10,A," ANIMATION
End

or any variant of that. That's just some rough code - I haven't tested whether the space takes care of erasing the text behind it or if there is a trail left behind. But you get the idea, just a simple "animation". Again, not very necessary, but if you want you could do it.
Thanks for the suggestion! I certainly would like to pack one more sample program in there if I can find the space, and a graphscreen one seems like it would be a fun option. I also need to remember to add a sentence somewhere in the Reference or Hello, World section that you can't type out programming commands letter-by-letter.
Awesome! Make sure its cross compatible between the CSE and CE too!
The next item on my own "To Do While Away From My Workspace" list was to create a big board for teaching interested visitors to create a quick program, specifically my classic Guessing Game example. I've made it 33"x17" for now in case I have to print it on three sheets of 11x17 paper, although I'd love to get it plotted. As usual, please give me your feedback! The big TI-84 Plus CE's LCD will be cut out and replaced with a computer LCD running a full-screened TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition emulator.

Program a Game in Sixty Seconds
*bump* Any feedback on the above? I'd be grateful. Smile So far geekboy has opined that he might like to see it as a vertical board instead, but that's all I've heard. Also, to revisit my todo list (anything without -> annotations has not yet been addressed at all):

Code:
3. To do
   3.1. Design and build Whack-a-Mole display physical components -> PCBs and components ordered.
   3.2. Pick and order magnets -> Cancelled
   3.3. Buy dowels, cut /consistent/ dowel lengths as standoffs, attach magnets -> Cancelled
   3.4. Buy and cut plexiglass to size -> Bought
   3.5. Buy and cut blackboard material to size -> Bought
   3.6. Attach legs to some displays - hinges? -> In design (by a professional!)
   3.7. Buy picture frames for descriptions
   3.8. Create/update pages of descriptions to put into frames
   3.9. Print out AAA dummies and attach screws, nuts, wires -> Geekboy tried printing these vertically, and it came out well. I'll try it myself soon.
   3.A. Create, print, and assemble large programming tutorial -> Created, under review
   3.B. Create, print, and copy programming handouts. half-page? full page? -> Created and printed as a double-sided one-page handout. My gut reaction seeing it printed is that the information on the back can be shrunk to fit more info without making it too small.
   3.C. Put together and test camera demo
   3.D. Put together and test GPS demo
   3.E. Buy tablecloths
   3.F. Update the keyboard controller
   3.G. Update the Flourish demo for the 4-calculator grid
Shopping In theory is happening tomorrow so that cuts 3.3, 3.4, and 3.5 off our list

We also plan to If time /resources allow build most of the basic frames for the displays. We/I can populate them afterwords, but We will at least have the actual display/stands made.

Everything else not to much comment on as of the moment.
Since I'm going to work with geekboy soon on putting our new displays together, I took an inventory of what I have left from last year:

Code:
5 intact picture frames, in good shape with unbroken glass.
~100 bookmarks

2 pieces plexi from internet and sound demos, each 11.75" x 11.5"
1 piece plexi originally fitted with 6 magnets for 5-calculator networking display (24" x 11.5")

1 "networking" blackboard wood, 23.75" x 11.5"
1 "introduction" blackboard wood piece, portrait orientation, 23.75" x 13"
1 interactive calc blackboard wood piece with 8 command strips, 23.75" x 11.5"
1 "music demo" blackboard wood piece with 1 missing hinged leg and 2 command strips, 11.5" x 12"
1 "internet" blackboard wood piece with 2 hinged legs, 11.5" x 11.75"

3 unattached hinged legs (with hinges), each ~6" long
1 long prop for "intrduction" board, ~23.375" long
14 maroon dowel pieces, 1.375"-1.5" long each
13 disk magnets, each 0.1875" tall and 0.5" in diameter

Edit: Reference for geekboy and Kerm's Home Depot trip:

Code:
Whack-a-Mole:
 14"x14"
 - 2x 14x14 1/8" wood
 - 1x 14x14 1/4" wood
 - 1x 14x14 plexi

Networking:
 - 1x 12" x 18"

GPS + Camera
 - 1x 12" x 12 or 13"

Programming:
 - 33" x 17"

Interactive:
 - As-is

Music:
 - As-is

Edit #2: Breaking up the TODO list by assignee:
Quote:
3. To do
3.1. Design and build Whack-a-Mole display physical components -> PCBs and components ordered.
3.2. Pick and order magnets -> Cancelled
3.3. Buy dowels, cut /consistent/ dowel lengths as standoffs, attach magnets -> Cancelled
3.4. Buy and cut plexiglass to size -> Bought (assigned to Tim)
3.5. Buy and cut blackboard material to size -> Bought (assigned to Tim and Mr. Keller)
3.6. Attach legs to some displays - hinges? -> In design (by a professional!)
3.7. Buy picture frames for descriptions
3.8. Create/update pages of descriptions to put into frames (Assigned to Kerm)
3.9. Print out AAA dummies and attach screws, nuts, wires -> Geekboy tried printing these vertically, and it came out well. I'll try it myself soon. (assigned to Kerm)
3.A. Create, print, and assemble large programming tutorial -> Created, under review (proofreading assigned to Tim and everyone, everything else assigned to Kerm)
3.B. Create, print, and copy programming handouts. half-page? full page? -> Created and printed as a double-sided one-page handout. My gut reaction seeing it printed is that the information on the back can be shrunk to fit more info without making it too small.
3.C. Put together and test camera demo (assigned to Kerm)
3.D. Put together and test GPS demo (assigned to Kerm)
3.E. Buy tablecloths (assigned to Kerm)
3.F. Update the keyboard controller (assigned to Tim)
3.G. Update the Flourish demo for the 4-calculator grid
3.H. Make GoT and Mario floppyTunes songs (assigned to Alec)
KermMartian wrote:

3.H. Make GoT and Mario floppyTunes songs (assigned to Alec)

AS YOU COMMAND, MY LIEGE.
HODOR

KK will do my stuff Thanks for the list Razz
Thanks again for everything from you and your family today, Tim; it was a blast, and I definitely hope I can get there earlier than ten days hence. By the way, can you please text me a photo or three of the displays tonight and then when they're further along tomorrow for the aforementioned newsing? Smile
Things I have todo.

Quote:

1. Whack-A-Mole
1.A: Acquire and assemble remaining Whack-A-Mole hardware.
1.B: Test hardware/Software combo
1.C: Cut Plexiglas to fit and finalize the assembly.

2. Music Display.
2.A: Tune Floppy drive for Best sound output.
2.B: Cut/Make Connector for floppy drive control

3. Interactive Programming display.
3.A: Acquire PC for HDMI display.
3.B: Solder together LVDS -> HDMI converter.
3.C: Test assemble interactive board with KermM and test it.

4. Software Fixes
4.A: Keyboard Calculator
4.A.1: Update to A CSE App if possible. Make interface more friendly.
4.B: Floppy Tunes:
4.B.1: Add playlist support due to display having Plexiglas.
Are we going to need to cut a backing out of something for the programming board? That's the only thing I can think of that I don't see on your To-Do list.
I have nothing left here to be honest and thought you were going to handle that. Seeing as its going to be a "printed" display. If its something like foamcore it will probably be more then acceptable. Really up to you at that point.

Also on me and kerms todo list.

Pick an oil finish and apply it to all the displays.
Maker Faire is looming ever closer!

My To-Do list:
[ ] Create/update pages of descriptions to put into frames
[ ] Print out AAA dummies and attach screws, nuts, wires -> All printed; screws and wiring remains
[ ] Write up AAA dummy battery project
[ ] Create, print, and assemble large programming tutorial -> printed! Needs to be attached to foam core
[ ] Create, print, and copy programming handouts. half-page? full page? -> Done, except for 25 more copies
[ ] Put together and test camera demo
[ ] Put together and test GPS demo
[ ] Buy tablecloths
[ ] Solder together the Whack-a-Mole multiplexer once the PCBs arrive

Tim:
[ ] Update the keyboard controller -> Make it CSE or CE
[ ] Put together the LEDs and sensors inside the Whack-a-Mole game
[ ] Stain/oil for displays
[ ] Bring shirts to be embroidered
[ ] More command strips, if we don't have enough

Alec:
[ ] Make GoT and Mario floppyTunes songs
Maybe it would impress people to have something simple, straightforward and non spectacular, like a good and funny but simple game programmed oncalc they can analyze and understand how it works "behind the scenes"...
Nik wrote:
Maybe it would impress people to have something simple, straightforward and non spectacular, like a good and funny but simple game programmed oncalc they can analyze and understand how it works "behind the scenes"...

Something like this?
KermMartian wrote:
The next item on my own "To Do While Away From My Workspace" list was to create a big board for teaching interested visitors to create a quick program, specifically my classic Guessing Game example. I've made it 33"x17" for now in case I have to print it on three sheets of 11x17 paper, although I'd love to get it plotted. As usual, please give me your feedback! The big TI-84 Plus CE's LCD will be cut out and replaced with a computer LCD running a full-screened TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition emulator.

Nik wrote:
Like this?
KermMartian wrote:

I mean with an intriduction, detailed explanation of the commands, tell them what happens and a bit how it happens...

If you mean that too then yes Smile (although I had a Flappy Bird game in mind, for some reason).

Edit: If this is not already done but possible you should ask where your tent will be and draft a map of it now already, so it won't get stress you later.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours