Is there a place I can go for information about making a gCn hub? Or someone who can explain how it works?
ACagliano wrote:
Is there a place I can go for information about making a gCn hub? Or someone who can explain how it works?
I think you're talking about a bridge. A hub is the thing that connects calculator(s) to the network, a bridge connects internet services to gCn, and a metahub connects to multiple hubs over the internet.
You've asked this at least twice before. Is there something insufficient in those answers?
merthsoft wrote:
You've asked this at least twice before. Is there something insufficient in those answers?
Haha, and I even corrected the use of the "bridge" terminology in that first topic before. Deja vu.
Sorry about the double post. Sometimes I forget having asked something. I was under the impression that the bridge was the name for the client side program running on the computer of the calc user, not the server-side program.

At any event, I've ordered Beej's Guide (still waiting on delivery) to teach myself network programming, and I've also ordered a cheap book on Python and C++. I learn somewhat better from written materials than Internet resources. Am I correct in the assumption that the commands for setting up the server (listen, socket, getAddrInfo, etc) are the same regardless of the language used (although I've also read that the parameters differ between language)? Also, I seem to gather that you have to set up some sort of a loop with listen? Is that true?
So, let me try to work through designing the gCn server bit by bit here of what I understand.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
import socket
import sys

headers and stuff. Is this all I need, at least for networking commands?

Code:
# Configuration
addrinfo = ('localhost', 5050)
backlog = 5
size = 1024
# Config End

Configuration for the script.

Code:
sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
sock.bind(addrinfo)
sock.listen(backlog)

Creates socket, binds it to host/port, and then sets it to listen.
This is the part where I lose it. In the skeleton bridge you linked me earlier, I see a while 1 loop. I assume that loops an accept and handles incoming connections. How exactly would that be structured? And how is the packet formatted, server end? I'm assuming its different from the byte order on-calc?
bump on above. And i'm still trying to understand how the bridge in python works. i've looked through the skeleton and its a bit confusing to one who has never developed a networking application of any kind.

Also, is that wireless arduino or whatever wireless gcn hardware was in the works a while ago still a thing? A wireless gCn bridge that can plug into a W2 or USB port would be cool.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours