Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has written a program for the TI-84+ to do basic accounting for a small business? Which websites should I look in for it? I checked the archives and couldn't find anything here. If there isn't anything, maybe this would be a good project for me to tackle? Tell me what you think. I think an accounting app would be awesome, because then I could modify accounts without having to sit down and get out my laptop, since I'm always on the go. Plus writing the application would probably strengthen my knowledge of accounting.

Bunyamin
Does Alex Glanville's Money Manager not do the trick for you? If not, then you should definitely consider writing your own, and we'd be happy to help guide you.
Thanks KermMartian. I will take a look at this software. I believe it's written in TI BASIC, so if it doesn't suit my needs I might be able to modify/extend it. And thanks for the offer of help. I am taking accounting classes now, and will probably be using Quickbooks and Excel a fair bit. This should help me as well.
I downloaded the Money Manager program, but kept getting an Invalid DIM error message. I looked at the code, and from what I could see, the program seems to only have one account, whereas to do financial accounting for a business, I need to have multiple accounts, and double entry bookkeeping style, etc. So I guess I will design my own Smile
Indeed, it was only for one account. It was created to track pocket change or count the coins in a piggy bank.

I am intrigued to know why you'd want to use a graphing calculator to help with business level accounting but that's just a personal wonder, not something I need answered.
Alex wrote:
Indeed, it was only for one account. It was created to track pocket change or count the coins in a piggy bank.

I am intrigued to know why you'd want to use a graphing calculator to help with business level accounting but that's just a personal wonder, not something I need answered.

I'll answer you anyway...I enjoy making things do stuff they aren't supposed to be able to do. Accounting is rather boring to me, but if I can make a program about it, I will remember the concepts much better. For instance, if I build a spreadsheet model that calculates vertical analyses with simple formulas, it helps me to remember and understand on a deeper level. And returning to the premise of my first sentence, isn't one of the reasons that calculator programming is so fun is that it's a little subversive/contrary?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours