I knew I had to make this sort of post eventually.
*sigh*. I know someone's going to give me grief for this.
* Complete rewrite of the Escheron: Twilight over Ragnoth project
-- Text hive objects apart from static elements now build inline with tilemaps to help fill some page gaps
-- Menu and cutscene systems fully redone and consolidated. It's almost like a VM now
-- Map/sprite systems consolidated
-- Hotspots mostly rewritten and optimized
-- Sprite interactions optimized and dead/useless code removed
-- Some simplistic cutscenes have been added back in
-- Battle input menus and enemy scripts added back in
* Changes to the toolchain
-- Aforementioned text hive objects now build from an editor project file. Editor is also included
-- Consolidated all build scripts so asset building takes ~80% less time on Windows (we have nothing for Linux yet (again))
-- Project data optimized to nearly double main build speed. Who knew ".org" was an expensive operation?
-- Added far more points in the source to identify how much space each module takes up
No screenshots. Sorry. Much work remains to be done before
I can announce my total failure to make any progress.
Two months and four days. From the initial commit to the new repository to the date of this post, that's how long it's been and that's how long I've been working on the rewrite for Escheron. As for the reason for the rewrite? Long story short, there were too many memory issues and too many things that were either unmovable or I couldn't tell which page any of the data was on.
This all started out when I wanted to integrate ECE2-generated text hive objects and then it all snowballed when I also wanted to change out the text system to something that was Turing-complete (with a minimal register/instruction set). I didn't realize at the time that more than half of the whole game depended on the text system in some form or fashion and at that point I decided I might as well rewrite it all.
I'm still going to salvage as much of the code as I reasonably can because there's just some things I won't rewrite no matter what. Battle magic script system/data, I'm looking at you! Those animations, while fun to make, were also absolute hell to get right.
If you want to track the progress of this rebuild, I do my best to make daily commits to this repository
, even if it's "omg everything broke sadfaic".
-- Put vehicular travel back in
-- Re-finish battle system
-- Put back all the maps
-- Put previously coded scripts back in...
-- ...including the Underdeep mapgen script
-- Put back that thing I refuse to mention because superstitions. Or not. It's not important
-- Manually code in the first few cutscenes and get people to test the game up to that point
-- Somehow get all the other cutscenes and events coded in