I am working on a project in my class that involves doing a product lifecycle of a product. I picked a Energizer rechargeable NiMH to do. Can anyone please help me find out what is inside of one without actually dissembling one?
I spent 45 seconds on google, and found a pretty awesome pdf from Energizer describing the battery. I'm sure if you looked real quick, you'll find the same thing. Wink
While I did find a PDF on it, and several others, none of them completely explain what makes it up. I have to find out what the:
Positive and negative terminal is composed of (steel or something else)
How they make the KOH electrolyte
What the positive and negative posts in the battery are made out of (probably copper, but not sure)
How they make the NiOOH(Nickel oxyhydroxide) for the positive electrode
If they use Nickel with a 4+ or a 3+ charge
How they make the Nickel-metal hydride for the battery itself (NiH2 or NiH3, depending on the charge)
And how they manufacture every other component and what each component is made of.
I then have to describe the life cycle of it. How is it manufactured? What is it used for? How is it used? Does it get recycled? Thrown in the trash? Repaired? I have to find out all of this stuff..... which is why I'm asking for help.
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/nickelmetalhydride_appman.pdf

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/Rechargeable_FAQ.pdf

These might help. It's pretty hard to actually find anything useful.
You should try calling or emailing Energizer directly. Sometimes companies do actually work with students on this sort of thing. I think PR staff is the best contact, though it may take a few days. Be sure to mention that you're a student, your grade, school, and class, and how detailed the project is supposed to be. Sometimes you get completely stonewalled, and sometimes the company offers to fly you to the factory for a tour. It's worth a shot.

I'd also suggest researching patents. They'll describe (in dense, nearly-unreadable language) a lot about their technology.
Thanks, DrDnar!

Ok then. While I have emailed them, and gotten a response back, they didn't tell me everything that I wanted to know.

Quote:
Unfortunately, information on the exact chemical ingredients/sources are considered proprietary. For competitive reasons, this information is not made available to the public.

Meaning that while I can tell you everything about the battery and what it is made of, I can't tell you where all of the stuff that makes it up came from.
Oh well.... Sad
caleb1997 wrote:
I have to find out what the:
What the positive and negative posts in the battery are made out of (probably copper, but not sure)
How they make the Nickel-metal hydride for the battery itself (NiH2 or NiH3, depending on the charge)
And how they manufacture every other component and what each component is made of.
I then have to describe the life cycle of it. How is it manufactured? What is it used for? How is it used? Does it get recycled? Thrown in the trash? Repaired? I have to find out all of this stuff..... which is why I'm asking for help.

I have all of these questions answered:

I then have to describe the life cycle of it. How is it manufactured? What is it used for? How is it used?

I still have to find out:
Does it get recycled? Thrown in the trash? Repaired?

Anyone mind helping?
From energizer's FAQ:

"18. How can I recycle my rechargeable batteries? ↑
Rechargeable batteries can be recycled free of charge at any Rechargeable Battery Recycling location. To learn more, visit www.rbrc.org or call 1‐
800‐8BATTERY."

So yeah, it looks like they are recycled.
Thanks, LuckyGhost!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours