Absolutely, the only question is whether it is a good plan...
The 84+CE is a much better long-term plan than the slow 84+CSE.

The Nspire (Clickpad, Touchpad, CX, CM) exists in both CAS and non-CAS varieties. The hardware is pretty much identical nowadays, save one bit in a hardware port.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
The 84+CE is a much better long-term plan than the slow 84+CSE.

The Nspire (Clickpad, Touchpad, CX, CM) exists in both CAS and non-CAS varieties. The hardware is pretty much identical nowadays, save one bit in a hardware port.

Yes, but at university I think CAS is needed or recommended at least, so it isn't worth buying a model w/o CAS for future purposes...

Anyway thanks for reinforcing my thoughts in buying the CE version is the better solution!
FWIW, I had no use for a CAS calculator in college (and I did a Math/Physics/CS triple major). My 84+SE was fine for most of the numerical work I needed to do, and any place it wasn't, I had access to Maple and Mathematica, which could solve problems that I suspect would have choked up a handheld CAS. Before investing in a CAS calculator, make sure you actually need it.
elfprince13 wrote:
FWIW, I had no use for a CAS calculator in college (and I did a Math/Physics/CS triple major). My 84+SE was fine for most of the numerical work I needed to do, and any place it wasn't, I had access to Maple and Mathematica, which could solve problems that I suspect would have choked up a handheld CAS. Before investing in a CAS calculator, make sure you actually need it.

Of course I will, that is why I plan to buy the 84+CE...
Thanks!
The HP Prime's CAS is powerful... but there are bugs, although Bernard Parisse and the HP developers are hard at work fixing and improving things.
I have a couple of questions about my TI-84+CE:

1. Why is that little thing moved to the left of the On button when it had been on the bottom of the TI-84+CSE's On button?
2. About the whole color-coding thing with the buttons: Why is so much less color-coded on the TI-84+CE than on the TI-84+CSE? Just take a look at both and you will see the differences in the key colors.
readroof2 wrote:
I have a couple of questions about my TI-84+CE:

1. Why is that little thing moved to the left of the On button when it had been on the bottom of the TI-84+CSE's On button?
2. About the whole color-coding thing with the buttons: Why is so much less color-coded on the TI-84+CE than on the TI-84+CSE? Just take a look at both and you will see the differences in the key colors.

1: That's just to keep you from accidentally turning it on in a bag or somewhere enclosed, it doesn't matter where they put it around the on button, so they probably just decided it was more aesthetically pleasing to have it on the left instead of on the bottom.
2. Not sure what you mean by a lack of color coding, the buttons seem to be the same as on the CSE, 2nd functions in blue and ALPHA functions in green...
mr womp womp wrote:

2. Not sure what you mean by a lack of color coding, the buttons seem to be the same as on the CSE, 2nd functions in blue and ALPHA functions in green...

I didn't say that there was no color coding, just a little bit less. The divide, multiply, plus, and enter keys are white when they used to be gray, the top five keys changed to white, and so did the arrows. If you count the colors of keys for the CSE and then the CE, you will see that the CSE has five different colors and that the CE has only four, with no gray at all. I just wanted to know why they did less color coding. Almost every key got bigger, except for the enter key (pretty much). Why did the enter key get smaller if it is so important?
I don't have any good answers, but knowing how TI does product design, I'm sure they extensively consulted with teachers about what the optimal key layout and key sizes would be. The one thing that does confuse me is why the blue and green of 2nd and ALPHA functions is so hard to read, especially on colors like my Radical Red.
So, I was stupid and never upgraded my OS to fix that sleep-bug. How does one force an OS reset again? reset + del doesn't seem to work, resulting in only a screen flash.
Luxen wrote:
So, I was stupid and never upgraded my OS to fix that sleep-bug. How does one force an OS reset again? reset + del doesn't seem to work, resulting in only a screen flash.
Hehe, you did it too. You have to do [2nd][DEL][ON]+Reset now.
I own a French equivalent of this calculator now - feels slim compared to Casio Prizm.

Quite hard for me to get used to TI menus and keys after Casio though as I never had TIs, I also prefer the Prizm's colourful home screen visually and how they seem to use F-buttons more - I wonder what proportion of European schools opt for Casio vs TI, my impression is that almost nobody in the UK gets TI. But I believe globally TI is more popular and supported. Pacman alone for CE is enough reason to get it. Auto-power off does not seem to work when leaving the calculator idle in this assembly program and looks like I need to exit the program first even if I just want to power off the calculator - is the necessary routine or off key detection missing in Pacman or is it impossible for all assembly programs or am I confused about how to put the whole thing into the standby?

My other comments are I wish TI made the pixel count higher for the LCD and I find it bad how the casing can cover some of LCD with the black frame when the screen is viewed at a small angle...

French version casing colour is good I think being mostly white background for the keypad. Maybe green/lime writing could be more legible in a different colour and a bit of a pity they did not keep everything in English to keep it more universal but layout had to be changed anyway for the precise math feature not available in the other markets for some reason (similar to F<>D on Casio) so I like this extra functionality.

By the way https://www.cemetech.net/tools/ti84pce#specs lists micro-USB port but I believe it is mini-USB one
I noticed that in this pic:

the status bar at the top appears to be blue.
Is that just the camera, or is there some Asm command to customize that color (I have noticed that the bar turns green while in the Catalog help menu)?
Nice -a-d-d- review.
TBH, when my freind let me borrow a CE for a day, i found the menus still a bit slugish Razz
(TBVH, i sometimes find my monochrome calc slugish and put it into Classic mode just for improved performance. In MathPrint mode on the monochrome calc, the Y-vars modification screen is especially slow <_< )
Caleb_Hill wrote:
I noticed that in this pic:

the status bar at the top appears to be blue.
Is that just the camera, or is there some Asm command to customize that color (I have noticed that the bar turns green while in the Catalog help menu)?

It's the camera (likely over saturation). My stock 84+CE does have a gray bar, and I doubt the community has found any way to make the status bar change the color, except TI.
c4ooo wrote:
Nice -a-d-d- review.
TBH, when my freind let me borrow a CE for a day, i found the menus still a bit slugish Razz
(TBVH, i sometimes find my monochrome calc slugish and put it into Classic mode just for improved performance. In MathPrint mode on the monochrome calc, the Y-vars modification screen is especially slow <_< )

Yes, the menus are still sluggish, I can testify to that on my 84+CE, but instead of holding it down and pressing it multiple times in a row will make it feel a little faster. But none the less, yes, 83/84 calculators do have faster scrolling.

Also with MathPrint, I can assume it can be quite slow on the 84 Plus/SE (since I'm pretty sure the 83 doesn't have MathPrint), due to the slower processor (I mean, it's 6/15 MHz, and a slower architecture compared to ~48 MHz and a faster architecture).
o355 wrote:
It's the camera (likely over saturation). My stock 84+CE does have a gray bar, and I doubt the community has found any way to make the status bar change the color, except TI.

It's actually really simple to change the color of the status bar, but I don't know why you would want to. Also note that when in testing mode, the status bar retains a blue highlight.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
o355 wrote:

It's actually really simple to change the color of the status bar, but I don't know why you would want to. Also note that when in testing mode, the status bar retains a blue highlight.

Hmmf...I'm still thinking it might be the camera, but the red looks somewhat natural.
And I'd have no clue why I'd need to change the status bar. Most asm programs are full screened.
o355 wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:
o355 wrote:

Hmmf...I'm still thinking it might be the camera, but the red looks somewhat natural.
And I'd have no clue why I'd need to change the status bar. Most asm programs are full screened.

Changing the color of the status bar would be an interesting customization feature. Is it just a simple ASM token? (soory, I am a real noob when it comes to asm)
I bought a CE a few weeks ago and I am about ready to throw it into Tampa Bay. Now I carry both the CE and the Silver with me. Why look like a fool when I go into class and tests with 2 calculators? It's because the CE removed the ability to answer questions automatically in fraction format. Here's an example. On the CE type in the fraction 2/3. It will convert to the decimal .6666666667. Awesome. Now - try to convert that back into a fraction. You can't. You can't until the end of time. So, tell me, how awesome is that? To have all of your answers in decimal format where you might or most likely will not be able to convert back into a logical and recognizable value? Calculating function graph intercepts and values in Calculus are also real fun when 2 decimal points are dropped from the x values displayed as decimals that I will never be able to convert into a fraction on this device. This calculator should come with a crystal ball to help me guess. What makes it a real party favor is the fact that Pearson Edu Math applications require all the answers on homework, quizzes, tests, midterms and finals to be entered as fractions! This thing is an overpriced piece of useless junk. Sure it has pretty color and a lot of features - but the basics, the basic taken for granted things you depend on to work are not there. That makes the CE undependable. I chalk it up to lazy programming which was most likely outsourced to save a few bucks.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours