Compynerd255 wrote:
AHelper wrote:
Bug fixes:
  • Kernel no longer uses __critical in normal use functions. Key_store needed it because the ISR uses the keyboard hardware.
  • Made glassLink compile
  • Located a bug in fopen/fclose/fwrite in gFiler's transfer subprogram.

Currently looking to see why fopen/fclose crashes. Also might be that fopen's ptr is lost all of the time.

I also need seekdir and telldir to rewind .desktop files to save space in RAM (already low, but trying to minimize it completely.

Nice progress, AHelper. I'm assuming that glassLink is a program for sending files and programs over USB or I/O.

I have a question about building for Glass: Are the Cygwin tools compatible with Glass, provided that you use Glass's libraries instead of the GNU ones, or do you have to use a different compiler? I want to try writing for this with Eclipse.

I'm unaware of any GCC builds that support z80 code generation, which, iirc, is why AHelper uses SDCC.

I still think it would be a good idea to write a z80 LLVM backend, and make use of Clang. It would be interesting to profile possible performance improvements in GlassOS between the two compilers if that were done.
Compynerd255 wrote:
Nice progress, AHelper. I'm assuming that glassLink is a program for sending files and programs over USB or I/O.
Thanks! And yes, glassLink is an interface to the many USB services used by the calc. Only USB, no I/O.

Compynerd255 wrote:
I have a question about building for Glass: Are the Cygwin tools compatible with Glass, provided that you use Glass's libraries instead of the GNU ones, or do you have to use a different compiler? I want to try writing for this with Eclipse.
GCC doesn't support z80 compilation. According to the GCC project page, there was a z80 port of GCC done by a 3rd party, but no such project can be found (or, none that can run).

elfprince13 wrote:
I still think it would be a good idea to write a z80 LLVM backend, and make use of Clang. It would be interesting to profile possible performance improvements in GlassOS between the two compilers if that were done.
If you can get something started, I would be glad to chip-in wherever possible. I just have no idea on what llvm (a compiler, but what is so special with it?) is or how it works.
AHelper wrote:
If you can get something started, I would be glad to chip-in wherever possible. I just have no idea on what llvm (a compiler, but what is so special with it?) is or how it works.

I could probably do the device specific stuff, but you would need to write the code for the linker, since I don't know anything about your binary formats or calling conventions.

LLVM isn't quite a compiler, but it forms part of a toolchain for producing compilers, virtual machines, and all sorts of other goodness. Many compilers exists that target the LLVM backend, but Clang is the most well known, as it is the C compiler used on modern Apple systems.

The steps for writing a compiler back-end for code generation using LLVM are outlined here: http://llvm.org/docs/WritingAnLLVMBackend.html

This talk might be helpful:

[edit]

Ooo. I just realized, with LLVM, it's quite easy to make a single C compiler that can compile with or without undocumented instructions, so that you can recompile for the Nspire's 84+ keypad, or the TI SDK emulator (if that still exists?).

[edit 2]
I just started work on machine definitions. I think I have the register layout specified, between looking through the Sparc and Mips examples, plus an abortive attempt at a similar project here: https://github.com/stev47/llvm-z80-testing

The next step is actually specifying the possible instruction formats, and their behaviors (and which ones are allowed for which platforms), which will be the real bear, and how various types should be handled. We probably want to mimic the SDCC calling and type conventions closely if you're using those and want to maintain compatibility, but I don't know a lot about them, since I haven't used SDCC. Shouldn't be too hard to allow it to emit either machine code or z80 assembly (though we'd have to choose which assembler to support. I like spasm, but I know many others prefer brass). I haven't yet delved into how linking should work, but it would be nice if we made a version that also supported DCS/TI-OS.
If this is going to be successful, firstly, can it pass arguments like the hitachi format (as registers unless they can't fit)? Secondly, this requires a topic. For now, here is fine until something starts to work. Anyways, this is the only project that really uses C for the z80 calcs.
We define the calling conventions for code generation, that's why I was asking for your input.

Let's split a new topic now, and try and get this on it's feet. The thing about having a z80 target for LLVM, is that pretty much *anything* can be compiled to it, not just C, because there are many many compilers and languages that use LLVM for compiling. And LLVM is supposed to have very good optimization, so I suspect that unless we really botch the z80 side specifically (register allocation), that we ought to get good performance. There is an option to write a machine code optimizing pass as well, so we could always try that later if we aren't satisfied.

Do you have a preference for source hosting? GitHub? SourceForge?
ok, good. I forked that project on github and will start working on it and seeing where it is at. If you want access to the repo, I can open that up to you.
oh, let me add the stuff I worked on today. If you could open it up to me that would be great.
Ok. For conventions, having registers passed as parameters is a MUST. This is a serious issue in SDCC. putchar(unsigned char x) pushing 1 byte (yes, push af \ inc sp) is stupid. And I am not the only to think that. I read the source of gen.c, the ASM generator in SDCC, and the author saw huge savings for parameters. He calculated over 55 bytes per parameter (assuming word) for overhead when using ix (stack based) rather than register arguments. Note, this should be configurable on a per-function basis.

Also, having inline functions working will help with stuff like bcalls (libexec in GlassOS)

More overkill but needed: IO ports and locating variables in memory. This is required for the z80 since you have parts of the memory allocated statically and you also need to access ports. SDCC allows this.

Just goals to be better than sdcc Smile
The commit I'm sending up now updates us to llvm 3.1, instead of whatever old version was around 2 years ago, and moved in the files that I actually changed when I started using Sparc as a more developed example to work from. It shouldn't build in its current state, but we have the framework to work from. The next phase, I think, is filling in the rest of the TableGen data for the instruction formats and instruction behavior and all that good stuff. We should make sure the ability to use undocumented instructions is target dependent, which is illustrated nicely for us by the Sparc target (which has 64bit and 32bit subtargets).
Our base should be the PIC16 as it is a similar 8 bit CPU. This will be a good base, but yes, a SPARC base will also help in places that the PIC16 fails at.
AHelper wrote:
Our base should be the PIC16 as it is a similar 8 bit CPU. This will be a good base, but yes, a SPARC base will also help in places that the PIC16 fails at.

Good point. I was just using SPARC initially, because it was the suggestion in the tutorial on the LLVM website Razz (helpful link to keep around, btw).
On second thought, PIC16 is a bit messed up Very Happy

I am looking for a good starting point still. PIC16 and MSP430 came up as they are also lower-level CPUs, but I lack knowledge on them :/
I think the next step is mostly just going to be filling in the information about the instruction set information Z80InstrFormat.td and Z80InstrInfo.td based on this: http://z80.info/ and the tutorial I just linked. I suspect the PIC targets will be useful when we need to start with the real implementation stuff.

-----
Notes for ahelper:

Code:
00:20 <@elfprince> I would recommend just reading the stuff from that link I posted, and referring to the
                   other Target implementations as necessary to see how they do it
00:21 < AHelper0> elfprince: I am trying
00:21 <@elfprince> anyting you're stuck on now?
00:21 < AHelper0> elfprince: what language is .td?
00:21 < AHelper0> obj-camel?
00:21 <@elfprince> It's a custom language
00:21 <@elfprince> for TableGen
00:22 <@elfprince> I think "td" stands for "Table Definition"
00:22 <@elfprince> or somethin
00:22 <@elfprince> g
00:22 < AHelper0> that's helpful :(
00:22 < AHelper0> probably
00:22 < AHelper0> I don't know the flow of the compiler right now
00:22 < AHelper0> so I am lost as to what everything does
00:22 < AHelper0> it seems like the targets make an instance of llvm
00:22 < AHelper0> starts a parser?
00:23 < AHelper0> then translates the output to the correct target's asm?
00:23 <@elfprince> you want to read the TableGen fundamentals here:
                   http://llvm.org/docs/TableGenFundamentals.html
00:23 < AHelper0> :) I will get there soon
00:23 <@elfprince> ok
00:23 <@elfprince> so
00:23 <@elfprince> basic outline
00:23 < AHelper0> go!
00:23 <@elfprince> all we care about
00:24 <@elfprince> is we get fed a graph
00:24 < AHelper0> a graph?
00:24 <@elfprince> that represents the control flow of the program
00:24 < AHelper0> ah
00:24 <@elfprince> all the parsing happens elsewhere and we don't care
00:24 < AHelper0> right
00:24 <@elfprince> whatever frontend the user chooses will generate LLVM IR
00:24 < AHelper0> somewhere IR code is made
00:25 <@elfprince> which is their virtual assembly language
00:25 < AHelper0> yup
00:25 <@elfprince> and that gets turned into a control flow graph
00:25 <@elfprince> called the SelectionDAG
00:25 <@elfprince> and that's what we get to process
00:25  * AHelper0 needs to take notes
00:25 < AHelper0> :P
00:25 <@elfprince> and as far as I understand it, a lot of what happens is automatically coordinated based
                   on the instruction tables we give it
00:26 <@elfprince> and register maps
00:26 <@elfprince> and we have to specify the heuristics it uses to convert pieces of the graph to our
                   target of choice
00:26 <@elfprince> you can actually do wacky things though, like use LLVM to compile things from one
                   language to another
00:27 <@elfprince> instead of generating machine code
00:27 <@elfprince> like Emscripten is an llvm target that emits javascript
00:28 <@elfprince> and PyPy is a Python interpreter that emits llvm
00:28 <@elfprince> so in theory you could hook up PyPy to Emscripten and use it to compile Python into
                   javascript
00:29 <@elfprince> or wacky things like that
00:30 <@elfprince> AHelper0: did that help conceptually at all?
00:30 <@elfprince> and/or did you watch the youtube video I embedded in the topic?
00:31 < AHelper0> taking notes
00:31 < AHelper0> since my logs fail
00:31 < AHelper0> one minute
00:31 < AHelper0> I mean, what else am I going to use these stacks of paper for? :P
Committing modifications required to build the Z80 port in the standard way.

Doesn't compile due to 'Z80Subtarget.h:21:35: fatal error: Z80GenSubtargetInfo.inc: No such file or directory' but progress!
Keep in mind that synchronizing and committing are separate operations. You have to commit first, and then synchronize to send the changes back up.

The Z80GenSubtargetInfo.inc has to be the result of running TableGen on our .td files, if I understand correctly. I think Z80.td is the one that should control the Subtarget info, but I may not remember correctly. In either case, that's where to start looking! Smile
So, git kinda derped. I committed my changes and pushed, but it pulled your changes in first, ok. Then it pushed. So, it has my changes, good. But it has a the branch merged into itself and shows your changes in it. Should I get rid of that as it did nothing...?

(stopped working on that for sleep)
Seems ok? I dunno.
https://github.com/AHelper/llvm-z80-target/commit/f72c71370e5c2bc650cc45a468305c3671cedfaf

Not really. I pulled in your changes to my local copy just to check for conflicts, but it ended up making another commit with all of your changes...
Hello,

I just noticed that you forked my old z80 codebase and am amazed that you are willing to work on the llvm backend.

Some quick notes:

Take a look at this project:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/llvmz80/
It seems to be active and might be a better starting point than my old codebase.

I can recommend the llvm-talk "Tutorial: Building backend in 24 hours":
http://www.llvm.org/devmtg/2009-10/
If I remember correctly there was a more recent talk on backend building (or rather a workshop) but I can't find it at the moment.

From what I understand it is advisable to work with a more recent version of llvm and staying more or less up to date with the releases.
If you stay at 3.1 and need some features from top of tree someday you may have a lot of work.

As far as git workflow is concerned:
In opposition to svn you have branches and it is recommended to work on a personal branch whenever possible. There you add features/fixes and test them. You merge them afterwards into the master branch (preferably rebasing first (if your branch isn't public) to prevent merge commits).
This way you won't have problems to pull from upstream as the pull from the master branch will always be a fast-forward one.

Anyways, keep up the work.
Hi stev47, thank you for noticing the fork and joining Cemetech! (You can always introduce yourself in this topic)

We pulled in LLVM 3.2 and are working on that. I am learning TableGen, however my knowledge is currently spent on getting the build system working to build the Z80 target in the standard way.

Do you have any recommendations on where I can start learning TableGen? I am of course reading the TableGen overview since I know nothing of the language, but there aren't any tiny llvm targets that I can look at to know what everything does :/

For git, I guess I just haven't used it enough. I use svn for GlassOS, a z80 OS for ti8x graphing calcs (currently uses SDCC for a C compiler, but LLVM could prove to be a large improvement if registers are used for parameters rather than the stack).

I will look at the sourceforge project. Were they using your code as a starting point, or from scratch?

Again, glad to see that you noticed the fork Very Happy Would you still be interested in working on this?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours