I have had my Radical Red TI-84+CE for over a week now, and as of today, community members are starting to receive their own. What have you discovered as you begin to explore the new calculator? Interesting new features? Omissions that sadden you? Impressions of its speed and capabilities? I hope you'll share your discoveries with us!
Here are my thoughts so far, copied from IRC:
Quote:
<Merth> I got me CE today!
<Merth> omg so much faster
<Merth> Programs don't run appreciably faster. Maybe there's a flag that needs to be set from assembly or something.
<Merth> alpha scrolling is still too few lines Neutral
<Merth> graphing is faster
<Merth> There's now an option for TrailOff and TrailOn in the format window
<Merth> I can't really tell what it does.
<Merth> If you turn transform graphing on through the app, it graphs MUCH faster
<Merth> 84+CE does NOT have the FRAC-APPROX token, which the 84+CSE does
<Merth> Also no Get( or Send(, unsurprisingly.
<Merth> the Trail* tokens aren't in catalog

I'd be interested to know what the Trail tokens do, and why the Transform APP makes graphing significantly faster. I'll also note that the screen looks nicer, but I can't pinpoint why. There were also no other Catalog differences other than noted above.

Another thing I noticed is that all the commands and menus on the buttons are now in all lowercase instead of all caps.

More things:
The "MODE" option "Go to 2nd format graph" is now gone. At the bottom of the mode is a selection for language. My calcualtor is now in Dutch Very Happy
Well, I just bought one, so I'll be sure to document some things that I find. Smile Kind of excited to find out just what this new calculator can actually do; and going to try out some interesting ideas. Smile
I'm unable to transmit programs from my 84+CSE to my 84+CE. The 84+CE says "Done". The 84+CSE says "Error in Xmit". There are no tokens in the 84+CSE program that aren't on the CE.
Merthsoft wrote:
I'd be interested to know what the Trail tokens do, and why the Transform APP makes graphing significantly faster. I'll also note that the screen looks nicer, but I can't pinpoint why. There were also no other Catalog differences other than noted above.
Is the speed of graphing with the Transform App enabled the same as if you disable Detect Asymptotes in the Format menu? If so, that explains what the Transform App does to graph faster. As far as the screen, we determined that the TI-84 Plus CE LCD has a warmer color temperature, and is brighter.
I'm waiting to see if French stores will ship the TI-83 Premium CE worldwide. As a Canadian, with the dollar being worth $0.78 USD this might be a much cheaper option.
KermMartian wrote:
Merthsoft wrote:
Is the speed of graphing with the Transform App enabled the same as if you disable Detect Asymptotes in the Format menu? If so, that explains what the Transform App does to graph faster. As far as the screen, we determined that the TI-84 Plus CE LCD has a warmer color temperature, and is brighter.
It's faster than that still.
merthsoft wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Merthsoft wrote:
It's faster than that still.
Hmm, fascinating; I'm not sure what would be causing that. Perhaps one of our OS experts, like BrandonW or calc84, could shed some light on it.

DJ_O wrote:
I'm waiting to see if French stores will ship the TI-83 Premium CE worldwide. As a Canadian, with the dollar being worth $0.78 USD this might be a much cheaper option.
If they do, please let me know, as I'd like a TI-83 Premium CE to add to my collection as well. It's very short on the French models. Smile
My CE arrived!

It is indeed 'lots lighter' Razz.

Just started messing with it, but im impressed with the responsiveness.
merthsoft wrote:
I'd be interested to know [...] why the Transform APP makes graphing significantly faster.

It cheats by setting Xres to 3 Wink
This was actually the exact question I asked the powers that be during the T3 conference and he didn't know about it, and well, looked as surprised as me. Though we stumbled upon the Window screen and he noticed this change... Razz
tr1p1ea wrote:
My CE arrived!

It is indeed 'lots lighter' Razz.

Just started messing with it, but im impressed with the responsiveness.
Where did you order yours from? Might have to get myself one too! Smile
I just want to mention that I picked up one of my translucent purple TI-83 Plus calculators off my desk yesterday, and was flabbergasted at how heavy it felt. The TI-84 Plus CE really has spoiled me, and I didn't realize how much it has adjusted my perception of how heavy a calculator should be until I picked up an older one.
This calculator is by far better! It is way more responsive, and the layout is quite nice. One thing I noticed is that it kind of gets warm to the touch after a bit of use though.

EDIT:

Test Guard and Singapore reset and normal reset are still activated the same way. Also, the Self-Test mode is a ton better! Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
This calculator is by far better! It is way more responsive, and the layout is quite nice. One thing I noticed is that it kind of gets warm to the touch after a bit of use though.

EDIT:

Test Guard and Singapore reset and normal reset are still activated the same way. Also, the Self-Test mode is a ton better! Smile

I'm not sure if it's actually been stated anywhere, but the OS install/boot combination is no longer ON+DEL, it's ON+2ND+DEL.
BrandonW wrote:
I'm not sure if it's actually been stated anywhere, but the OS install/boot combination is no longer ON+DEL, it's ON+2ND+DEL.
That's important to know; thank you. Has the forcible RAM clear key combination also been changed to ON+2ND+CLEAR? Do you know why they would change the combination?
KermMartian wrote:
BrandonW wrote:
That's important to know; thank you. Has the forcible RAM clear key combination also been changed to ON+2ND+CLEAR? Do you know why they would change the combination?

I didn't check or look into ON+CLEAR.

I imagine they changed the combination because you technically aren't supposed to know it (and ON+DEL is now common knowledge). It's supposed to be a last-ditch emergency thing -- and it's even worse now, because you can press CLEAR while in that mode to erase almost the entire flash chip (everything but the boot code and certificate).
So I can easily wipe everything on a calculator within seconds, no matter what OS it has, just by pressing a couple keys.
I don't like it.
merthsoft wrote:
More things:
The "MODE" option "Go to 2nd format graph" is now gone. At the bottom of the mode is a selection for language. My calcualtor is now in Dutch Very Happy

Oh, that's great. I never understood why that would have been a menu option, and why it had a YES/NO option instead of a single button.

And that's also good that you no longer have to download apps for languages, that was a bit counterintuitive ._.
M. I. Wright wrote:
And that's also good that you no longer have to download apps for languages, that was a bit counterintuitive ._.

I believe you still need the Apps, but they come pre-loaded oncalc. If you remove them, you can only have English. Smile
BrandonW wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
BrandonW wrote:

I didn't check or look into ON+CLEAR.

I imagine they changed the combination because you technically aren't supposed to know it (and ON+DEL is now common knowledge).

Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean, I don't think we aren't supposed to know about the key combo, considering my TI-83 Plus Guidebooks (which came in paper form with my 83+ calcs in 2001) mentions it.
ON+2ND+DEL does nothing for me.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours