My goal here is to make a level generator so, I don't have to make levels. My method that I thought of:

*Make a rectangle. Then, make another using one of the other rectangles cornerpoints as a start.
*Create a matrix that covers the entire room.
*Draw exterior walls on screen based on a square by square procedure. Then, erase 2 walls for entering and exiting.
*Draw interior walls without retracing steps or going backwards for more than 2 steps.
* Spawn objects appropriately.
* ?
* PROFIT

Discuss.
What kind of game are these for, by the way, or perhaps what game specifically?
I don't know. I just thought it would be interesting.

World-exploration maybe?
Raylin wrote:
I don't know. I just thought it would be interesting.

World-exploration maybe?
Nifty! I had some procedurally-generation worldmaps and terrain in Multiplicity, but that unfortunately worked out less than well. I needed to damp the acceleration factor for the tile index way, way down.

cf. http://multiplicity.cemetech.net/explore.php
If you are just trying to create an algorithm that will create a world full of random rooms, I probably have the most experience on this forum with this kind of thing, as it and other random-maze-like generating algorithms used to consume me. What exactly do you want it to do?
I don't know if it would help or not but I have created a procedural generation program for a text based Rpg I made

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours