tr1p1ea wrote:
What do you guys think about a 2nd stars layer?

I think it looks awesome. I especially like the cats running animation. Smile
Took a little break from coding the engine to work on the titlescreen ...

This is what I have so far:

And it gives away that there are going to be 4 different characters that have different abilities that you can use in levels ... though I haven't fully decided what just yet Smile.

Let me know what you think (Also the sprites 'breaking up' at the bottom is to make it look more 'space-y' cause it kind of looked weird them standing there ...)
This looks outstanding!
One suggestion for the bottom of the cat legs though, can it get more 'break-upy' towards the bottom? You kinda did this for the top where the lines go to different lengths, so the equivalent on the bottom would be to just end some of the lines early.
Thanks and I had contemplated doing that so I will give it a shot and see what it looks like.
Wow, awesome work tr1p1ea! I like how much attention you pay to the details, especially the stars... How do those work? Anywho, keep up the great job! Smile
This is incredible looking! Very Happy
That is a super cool game!!! Can't wait till you release it. Also... isn't that map the first level of Oiram...?
The first level of Super Mario Bros 3 you mean Smile.

It's just a test level, this will not likely be in the actual game.
Are you planning to have a story mode and/or a level editor (On-calc or not)

I could probably help with level making if you do need help Very Happy
tr1p1ea wrote:
The first level of Super Mario Bros 3 you mean Smile.

It's just a test level, this will not likely be in the actual game.

Ok. That title screen is amazing!!! I love the way you also have moving stars in the background.
There will be a story to this game, surrounding the main character (the white kitty) and the other characters which are more like utilities in game.

At this stage I am just working on a crude level editor and other tools.
tr1p1ea wrote:
What do you guys think about a 2nd stars layer?

Looks great!!! Maybe if you could add a planet in the background so it appears every once in a while. Well, you could put it in the tileset so that when you create the tilemap you can add planets in the background.
tr1p1ea wrote:
JamesV yes it is in half res mode and seems to run pretty good so far - hopefully it will continue to stay that way.

I've been looking through the registers for the TI-84+CE LCD controller, and nothing jumped out at me that indicated how to enable/disable half res mode on the CE. Are you able to confirm how it's done?

http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=84PCE:Ports:4000
JamesV wrote:
tr1p1ea wrote:
JamesV yes it is in half res mode and seems to run pretty good so far - hopefully it will continue to stay that way.

I've been looking through the registers for the TI-84+CE LCD controller, and nothing jumped out at me that indicated how to enable/disable half res mode on the CE. Are you able to confirm how it's done?

http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=84PCE:Ports:4000

I'm pretty sure by half res he means either switching to 8bpp mode; or switching to 4bpp mode which allows him to output 2 pixels per byte written Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
I'm pretty sure by half res he means either switching to 8bpp mode; or switching to 4bpp mode which allows him to output 2 pixels per byte written Smile

I think you're correct - it looks like there are fewer than 16 unique colours in the palette. Thanks Mateo!
Yes it is 4bpp simulated 'half-res' horizontally at least.

Each write to VRAM is just the 4-bit index in each nibble of the byte.

Vertical half-res is just done manually. Since this game needs to redraw each frame, all drawing routines only write data to every even row in VRAM. Prior to a updating the LCD the image is 'expanded' and LDIR's to every other row.

In circumstances where the entire screen is not updated frame-to-frame, it might be faster to handle the vertical case while drawing.
How is the project coming along? Let me know if you need any help with level design and stuff, because I am in gridlock because of the OiramCE project problem. Screenshots of progress would be nice Smile
I made a VERY CRUDE level editor to assist with levels and stuff, though I haven't worked on the project in a while :S.

I thought Oiram was fixed?
tr1p1ea wrote:
I made a VERY CRUDE level editor to assist with levels and stuff, though I haven't worked on the project in a while :S.

I thought Oiram was fixed?

His levels got corrupted and he can't work on them until Mateo fixes them. Oiram itself is fixed though.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Yes it is 4bpp simulated 'half-res' horizontally at least.

Each write to VRAM is just the 4-bit index in each nibble of the byte.

Vertical half-res is just done manually. Since this game needs to redraw each frame, all drawing routines only write data to every even row in VRAM. Prior to a updating the LCD the image is 'expanded' and LDIR's to every other row.

In circumstances where the entire screen is not updated frame-to-frame, it might be faster to handle the vertical case while drawing.
Thanks, tr1p1ea! This doesn't really pertain to anything I'm working on, but I was curious as to what method you were using.

tr1p1ea wrote:
I feel your pain :/ I struggle to find big enough chunks of free time to make any decent progress on calc stuff, but lately I've just tried to squeeze out little bits of headway I can in any 15 minute window I can find.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours