Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
This has been tested on the 83+ and 84+ (Monochrome)

You guys have probably discovered this a long time ago, but here's the concept: If the graph screen is filled with black pixels, then switching from the graph screen to the home screen causes a little graphical bug. Using this bug, I have made a very simple program that constantly switches back and forth:
Code:

:Asm(prgmASM   //alternatively, you could do "Shade(Ymin,Ymax)" but that is way slower
:Repeat getKey
:ClrHome   //alternatively, you could do "Disp "
:DispGraph
:End

prgmASM just fills the graph screen with black pixels:

Code:

:AsmPrgm210000115F3FEF624DC9


Using this, you can get a cool effect:


jsTIfied doesn't replicate it exactly as I see it on my calculator, but it's pretty close. Each individual calculator will most likely display it slightly differently, but you can still get the effect on both the TI-83/84+. Also, I have tested that ClrHome looks better on the 83+, and using Disp looks better on the 84+. It could be different for everyone, however, seeing as this is kind of a **bug**.
It doesn't work on the CSE Sad
I put this on my friends calculator, so then he freaked out and cleared his memory. If I really wanted to make him freak out, I could disable the ON button or something so that he wouldn't be able to exit the program Razz I'm not that mean though, so I would never do that...

Also, background text can easily be added by using Output() or Text() before the loop starts. You can also achieve white text if you so choose. Another thing I was thinking about was making the text "vibrate", so then you could put the text in the loop and have a not(variable)->variable and have the text be at variable+N, where N represents the actual place you want to put it.

The main disadvantage of this program is that if you have too many things within the loop, you lose the effect.
so I tried doing this on the CSE, using this code:

Code:

1→Xmin
1→Xmax
1→Ymin
1→Ymax
For(A,Ymin,Ymax
Horizontal A
End
StorePic 1
Repeat getKey
ClrHome
DispGraph
End


edit 2: I accidentally wrote Xmax instead of Ymax above. whoops.

EDIT: The above code should and apparently does throw an ERR:WINDOW RANGE on the CSE, or at least others' CSEs. Mine ran it fine, though.

...and this happens (before the Repeat loop. This is just the first 7 lines of code)


It's not animated or anything, but I thought it was cool.
M. I. Wright wrote:
so I tried doing this on the CSE, using this code:
EDIT: The above code should and apparently does throw an ERR:WINDOW RANGE on the CSE, or at least others' CSEs. Mine ran it fine, though.
It's not animated or anything, but I thought it was cool.

Why the heck did that work for you?

Also, also try adding in a delay after either or both commands in the loop. On my TI-84 Plus, it looks like paused with rand(4 for the delay after Disp. And by 'paused', I mean the weird effect thingy isn't moving but still there, it's kinda hard to explain.
Currently I'm using an 83 Plus, and here's just a small discovery:

Using ClrHome in the loop makes the screen constantly fall downwards, and has smoother graphics and is not "blocky" at all.

Using Disp (there doesn't need to be an argument) makes the screen flash instead and is more "blocky". What I mean is that each row of the home screen is blacker than the one before it, and the top left of the screen is white. So imagine a right triangle, in blocky home screen format, with each row blacker than the one before it.

Note: This only does this on my calculator. I have tested it on a 84+ and the results were completely different (Disp looked better than ClrHome). Results are probably going to be different even if you have the same calculator, I'm guessing.
Hitechcomputergeek wrote:
On my TI-84 Plus


monochrome?
Yes M. I. Wright.
I tested this on the TI-84 Pluses at my school.

There's a third type of static that can be created; if you fill the graphscreen with black pixels (I had to use shade(ymin,ymax) bc school calcs), store that using StorePic, then use


Code:

Repeat getKey=45
ClrDraw
RecallPic 1
End


you'll get a sort of smooth static (similar to using ClrHome) with curves in it as opposed to the jagged edges of ClrHome.

Note that this is on an 84+ so the results differ from those of an 83+.
M. I. Wright wrote:
I tested this on the TI-84 Pluses at my school.

There's a third type of static that can be created; if you fill the graphscreen with black pixels (I had to use shade(ymin,ymax) bc school calcs), store that using StorePic, then use


Code:

Repeat getKey=45
ClrDraw
RecallPic 1
End


you'll get a sort of smooth static (similar to using ClrHome) with curves in it as opposed to the jagged edges of ClrHome.

Note that this is on an 84+ so the results differ from those of an 83+.

Ah, I see what you mean. I tested this on the 83+.

It doesn't have as much of an effect though, it sort of just flashes on and off and a slower rate. I can see the grayscale curves and stuff, but because of how long ClrDraw and/or RecallPic take, it has less of an effect. Maybe it's just the 83+. Does the 84+ do it more rapidly?
Michael2_3B wrote:
M. I. Wright wrote:
I tested this on the TI-84 Pluses at my school.

There's a third type of static that can be created; if you fill the graphscreen with black pixels (I had to use shade(ymin,ymax) bc school calcs), store that using StorePic, then use


Code:

Repeat getKey=45
ClrDraw
RecallPic 1
End


you'll get a sort of smooth static (similar to using ClrHome) with curves in it as opposed to the jagged edges of ClrHome.

Note that this is on an 84+ so the results differ from those of an 83+.

Ah, I see what you mean. I tested this on the 83+.

It doesn't have as much of an effect though, it sort of just flashes on and off and a slower rate. I can see the grayscale curves and stuff, but because of how long ClrDraw and/or RecallPic take, it has less of an effect. Maybe it's just the 83+. Does the 84+ do it more rapidly?


That looks so cool on my TI-84 Plus. It looks like a bunch of grayscale waves for me; I think it must work better on the TI-84 Pluses.

Also, out of curiosity, why can't you use the ASM on the school calcs? I personally prefer the Shade() because I'm picky about my programs list being too long (everything I don't use is grouped), but you could just write the stuff down on a scrap of paper and type it in...
M. I. Wright wrote:
I tested this on the TI-84 Pluses at my school.

There's a third type of static that can be created; if you fill the graphscreen with black pixels (I had to use shade(ymin,ymax) bc school calcs), store that using StorePic, then use


Code:

Repeat getKey=45
ClrDraw
RecallPic 1
End


you'll get a sort of smooth static (similar to using ClrHome) with curves in it as opposed to the jagged edges of ClrHome.

Note that this is on an 84+ so the results differ from those of an 83+.

Dang, I don't have a TI 84+, and jsTIfied doesn't display it like you say it does on your calculator. I guess I'll just try it on my friends calculator after spring break is over.
Michael2_3B wrote:
M. I. Wright wrote:
I tested this on the TI-84 Pluses at my school.

There's a third type of static that can be created; if you fill the graphscreen with black pixels (I had to use shade(ymin,ymax) bc school calcs), store that using StorePic, then use


Code:

Repeat getKey=45
ClrDraw
RecallPic 1
End


you'll get a sort of smooth static (similar to using ClrHome) with curves in it as opposed to the jagged edges of ClrHome.

Note that this is on an 84+ so the results differ from those of an 83+.

Dang, I don't have a TI 84+, and jsTIfied doesn't display it like you say it does on your calculator. I guess I'll just try it on my friends calculator after spring break is over.


I actually got this completely wrong. This is what I meant:


Code:

ClrDraw
StoreGDB 0
AxesOff
GridOff
Shade(Ymin,Ymax
StorePic 1
Repeat getKey=45
ClrDraw
RecallPic 1
End

It works on the monochrome calcs, but here's a fun fact: Trying this on the CSE will clear your RAM.

...I hope I didn't lose anything important.

edit: tried again, didn't clear my RAM... so it should be safe, although it looks absolutely horrible on the CSE

Edit 2: Static can be achieved on the CSE using xLIBC: Hacking simulator
that still doesn't look that good on my 83+, so i'm just going to try it on my friends 84+ when spring break is over.

on my 83+ it just flashes on and off at a slow speed. sure, i can see the wavy lines, but it doesn't look amazing because of how slow it flashes. This is due to the fact of how much slower the processor speed on the 83+ is compared to the 84+.

Also, that's really weird that it cleared your RAM... why did it do that...?
A cool variation:

Code:

Repeat BlahBlahBlah
ClrDraw
RecallPic 1
Disp
RecallPic 1
End
gaventemples31415 wrote:
A cool variation:

Code:

Repeat BlahBlahBlah
ClrDraw
RecallPic 1
Disp
RecallPic 1
End

dang, this obviously still doesn't work for me. the processing speed on the 83+ isn't as fast as on the 84+. Even still, I did try this program and wright's program on my friends 84+, and it still didn't look super astonishing, but it was definitely quicker on it. the wavy lines look nice.
Although this isn't astonishing, it still looks a bit cool. You can use a For() loop to make the graph screen fill with lines, while making the effect appear. You can make the For() loops however you want to, so if you manage to make one that looks fairly epic(ish) then feel free to post about it Smile


Code:

//assuming window is set to 0 to 94 and 0 to 62

ClrDraw
For(A,0,94
ClrHome
Line(A,0,A,A
ClrHome
Line(0,A,A,A
End

or, to customize it for more window settings (although it doesn't work exactly like I wanted it too for some windows)

Code:

ClrHome
For(A,Xmin,Xmax
ClrHome
Line(A,Ymin,A,A
ClrHome
Line(Xmin,A,A,A
End
Ooh I think I remember using the first one to a certain extent back in 2001-2002 in Illusiat 4 or Illusiat 2002. But I was using Disp intead of ClrHome.
Wow, after messing around with this a bit, I realized that this really drains your battery (on my 83+, at least). Can't say how much though, that would require more testing Smile
Woh.

Just tried a new version, and it looks super cool (in my opinion). Again, this is still monochrome.

Even though it looks similar to the first one on the page, it's not. Like always, jsTIfied can't quite capture what I see on my own calculator. Incase you're wondering, the first image is without the jsTIfied skin on, and the second one has the skin on. That's why they appear different.

Anyways, this one uses 2 HEX codes to do it, which fill the screen with white pixels and fill the screen with black pixels. You can't use ClrDraw, because you won't be able to see anything.


Code:

White Pixels:
AsmPrgm210000115F3FEF5C4DC9

Black Pixels:
AsmPrgm210000115F3FEF624DC9


Code:

Program:

Repeat getKey
Asm(prgmASM1
Asm(prgmASM2
End

You can also do this solely with an invert HEX code, which would be

Code:

AsmPrgm210000115F3FEF5F4DC9


[EDIT]
You can also use the HEX codes with other commands to make it look really cool. For example, try this:

Code:

Repeat getKey
ClrHome
Asm(prgmASM1   //fills screen with black pixels
End
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement