I am currently making a game and i need help on how to make maps in BASIC. i want to learn on how to move the map when your character reaches the end of the screen. Can be in text format or grapic format? The game i am making is WWII:Front Assault in which you land behind enemy lines and have to make your way to your team. Then you have to kill the enemy. But i need to know how to make a map. Please Help Me. Cool

I Have a Ti 83 Plus Graphing Calculator
Well first of all, do you feel comfortable to post up your code? If yes then please do. It will make it all more easy, you can parse it through
Source Coder 2 and then post the code up on here.

Another thing is, is to go into your code, and in the section were it tells the calc to move and waht not when it gets to the end of the screen, then tell it also to move the map, or just overlap it with a more recent looking map. I will explain more a little later. Some one will reply by then but I will definatly get back to you on this
Well, there are multiple tutorials at http://tifreakware.calcgames.org/bt83pl.htm , and if you are looking to make an ascii game, then http://tifreakware.calcgames.org/tifreak8x/rpgsk/devgui.htm explains how to create maps, etc using the RPG Starter Kit.

If you want to use xlib, I strongly suggest using an application called xlib. There are no known tutorials for that yet, that is one that I plan on working on, once I get caught up a lil bit with my other projects. You will just have to read the manual, and work from there.
Thanks for the websites...Looking foward to reading them...and for posting the source code for my game...i havn't started...so...I figure i should make the map first and and then make the game. Its easier i think if you make the map in which the character will walk on first.

But I will let you see the source code when im done with it and see if there is any way in which to cut memory and make the game smaller.

Thanks All Good Idea Cool

Bking0
well, if you haven't even started, might I suggest looking at this program: http://tifreakware.calcgames.org/ainfo/1.htm

The program was intended for RPGs mainly, but several people have made maze games out of it, and I am in the process of making a Pokemon game out of it.

Can't wait to see what progress you make on this game. ^^
Thanks I'll be sure to download this file and learn from it.
Can't wait to play your game either.

Bking0 Cool
Welcome to Cemetech, and good luck with this! Are you planning on a text-based or graphical map?
Text Base seeing that i havn't masterd the graph screen yet.
Any Suggestion on this game?

Bking0 Cool
If you're using text, you can get extra symbols and characters with a little program TI-Freak8x and I made:

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/384/38404.html
Ah yes, nearly forgot about that program... Very Happy
How could you forget? I always use Symbols. Symbols and Stat Sprite are two of the most useful programs I have.
cool, yes, and welcome to Cemetech (do you think we should have an intorduce yourself area?). If you need any help, I am here to help also.
something1990 wrote:
How could you forget? I always use Symbols. Symbols and Stat Sprite are two of the most useful programs I have.

lol, merely forgot to include it, that is all Wink
I Tried That Program out AND I must say that it is one of the coolest programs out there. Thanks to the guys who made it, I can add more features to the game then what basic all ready allows.

Right now im working on the AI...Basing it off my new game i will be posting soon Called "Geek Fighter." Its based of the flash game you can play online.

Any suggestion on the AI Idea
Should i have difficulty Setting?

And There's one more thing. Im working on how to make the player shoot which i can do but lets say he shoots, it goes through the whole animation in which the player can not move while that is happening. (Kind of hard to explain) So how can i make the player be able to shoot and still move while the bullet is still going.

Lets say the character moves right while the shooting is still going. I want the character to move at free will and the bullet keep going it's direction.
And lets say the bullets still going and i shoot again. The previous shooting just stops where it is. (?) Help on this please

|-Bullet
|
O-Charater

I will try to post the code on this problem and maybe it will make it easier to understand. As for my map...It takes up a lot of memory so is there any program out there that lets you run archieve programs.

Thanks

Bking0 Cool
If you put a main loop around the runtime code, you can do something like set a variable to 5 when the animation is triggered, then display the frame corresponding to that variable each loop as the variable is decremented to 0 while still performing the normal program operations.
Yes Thats what i did but lets say you shoot again...The previous Shooting stops where it is. I need it to go till it hits somthing. So I need to know how to make multiple bullets move.

One more Thing (off topic but hey!) how do you get signiture like the ones you have?

bking0
Bking0 wrote:
I Tried That Program out AND I must say that it is one of the coolest programs out there. Thanks to the guys who made it, I can add more features to the game then what basic all ready allows.

Right now im working on the AI...Basing it off my new game I will be posting soon Called "Geek Fighter." Its based of the flash game you can play online.

Any suggestion on the AI Idea
Should I have difficulty Setting?

And There's one more thing. Im working on how to make the player shoot which I can do but lets say he shoots, it goes through the whole animation in which the player can not move while that is happening. (Kind of hard to explain) So how can I make the player be able to shoot and still move while the bullet is still going.

Lets say the character moves right while the shooting is still going. I want the character to move at free will and the bullet keep going it's direction.
And lets say the bullets still going and I shoot again. The previous shooting just stops where it is. (?) Help on this please

|-Bullet
|
O-Charater

I will try to post the code on this problem and maybe it will make it easier to understand. As for my map...It takes up a lot of memory so is there any program out there that lets you run archieve programs.

Thanks

Bking0 Cool

http://tifreakware.calcgames.org/resource.htm Wink
And regarding the signatures:
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1040
Sorry i havn't been on for awhile...I went out of town.

but anyways thanks for the website and i have a question...

Is any one good at programming AI...I can do it but My AI are pretty stupid when it comes to decsion making.

Thanks

bking0
Sure, just outline what you want your AI to be able to do and we'll help you out.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours