Recently I have been trying my hand at making replicas and I chose the Flux Capacitor because it's from my true all-time favorite movie: Back To The Future

Anyway here are some pics. As you can see I'm almost done. I have ordered the yellow "Flux wires" (which are actually spark plug wires) on amazon so those should be in soon, but the snag I have hit is how to control these. I need them to pulse like in the movie but I have no idea how to effectively control those high voltages. Suggestions? I've been thinking of a motor with a brush on it that spins and brushes against 4 contacts which light up the appropriate lights, but something tells me there's a better way.

Ok, here are those pics I promised:

Vacuum solenoid replicas:

Solenoid replicas complete:

Cutting the box:

Painted and applying gasket:

Applied labels, added cable pipes, and plastic window:

As always, suggestions and feedback is always appreciated! Smile
This looks great so far! Smile
(sorry that i have no constructive input, lol)
Wow! This is amazing!

I'm also a big Back to the Future fan myself Smile It's an awesome movie!

Now only if it actually worked... Razz
That looks awesome! This would make a fantastic wall decoration in any man/nerd cave Smile.
This demands bigger pictures Sad
Botboy3000 wrote:
the snag I have hit is how to control these. I need them to pulse like in the movie but I have no idea how to effectively control those high voltages. Suggestions? I've been thinking of a motor with a brush on it that spins and brushes against 4 contacts which light up the appropriate lights, but something tells me there's a better way.
Depends on how you intend to power those neon lamps.

I'd reach for FETs for relatively simple switching of DC, like a pair of FQS4901s. If you want to drive those lamps with AC instead (probably easier and a better choice overall), I'd reach for a TRIAC like a Z0103MA.

For cycling between lamps you could probably do something with a shift register and very slow clock, but it's probably easier just to use a microcontroller. You might choose to build a ring counter not unlike this Johnson counter built with 7400-series ICs.

You could probably also get a similar effect with LEDs, requiring lower voltage and power, generally being easier to work with.
Yeah, thinking about it I will probably end up with LEDs even if it means losing just a bit of realism. In the movie it seems like a white glow with a hint of yellow-orange color which is part of the reason I went with these bulbs. But I agree, LEDs are much easier to work with.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours