Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
Could Axe compiler be ported using this method? Or would it have to be a full remake?
Oh, My Gosh!!!! Thank you for doing a music player! How long do you think till it'll be in the archives? I would love to have it! Thnks so much! Smile
Unicorn wrote:
Could Axe compiler be ported using this method? Or would it have to be a full remake?

Perhaps, if the source code for Axe was available. But I don't believe it is, so a full port would be a better option because it could support color and things. And grayscale would still not be an option as of right now...

Botboy3000 wrote:
Oh, My Gosh!!!! Thank you for doing a music player! How long do you think till it'll be in the archives? I would love to have it! Thnks so much! Smile

Should be soon! Wink
I had a small idea about using some interlacing to gain more speed.

Here is a quick test:



Naturally its a bit funny because its only alternating scanlines (since its a test). A better idea might be to interlace at a pixel level.

Still food for thought.
Nice! That is an impressive concept; I might try to see if interlacing can be taken advantage of in some more ways... In addition, I had to relocate some sections of code for this program as it would not work on an actual calculator due to the $C000 limit. Anywho, here's the updated file if anyone wants to play around with it some more; should be working quite nicely! (Also, ionDetect also includes AppVars now, simple fix, so now you can use JamesV's converter to make all the level packs AppVars in case you don't want all the programs populating the screen.) Smile

[Download]





Also, I am not sure how these programs should be released; I believe that efforts to email the original creator are a definite must.
Amazing work, Mateo!

MateoConLechuga wrote:
Also, I am not sure how these programs should be released; I believe that efforts to email the original creator are a definite must.
My opinion would be just to handle it the way we've always handled the "porting" of calculator games/programs to other calcs, which is to credit the game to the original author and the porting to the porter. The slight difference here is that no doubt a lot of people will want to port 83+/84+ games using your technique, in which case you of course should be credited too.

Just my 2 cents though Smile
JamesV wrote:
Amazing work, Mateo!

MateoConLechuga wrote:
Also, I am not sure how these programs should be released; I believe that efforts to email the original creator are a definite must.
My opinion would be just to handle it the way we've always handled the "porting" of calculator games/programs to other calcs, which is to credit the game to the original author and the porting to the porter. The slight difference here is that no doubt a lot of people will want to port 83+/84+ games using your technique, in which case you of course should be credited too.

Just my 2 cents though Smile

Makes sense; but I honestly had no role in the creation or actual writing of the game; just the screen and miscellaneous routines which are courtesy of many people here. I think it might be most reasonable to contact the original author and see if they would want to have a CSE verison, and if no reponse is heard, then to go along like that.

In addition, I should probably write a little tutorial explaining how to use it to some degree... Razz
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Also, I am not sure how these programs should be released; I believe that efforts to email the original creator are a definite must.
I definitely agree. I do always worry about people putting in minimal effort to take partial credit for others' programs. Not you, obviously; nothing about your efforts here could be considered minimal in any way! On the other hand, ticalc.org is filled with versions of Phoenix that merely have a few sprites changed.

tr1p1ea wrote:
Naturally its a bit funny because its only alternating scanlines (since its a test). A better idea might be to interlace at a pixel level.
Have you run it on hardware? I suspect it might look a little cleaner on the real hardware than it does in an emulator.
It does run nicely on hardware and the scanlines indeed aren't as prevalent.

I too agree with being able to release these games as ports without too much worry.
Just for a foot note. It is most definetily portable to axe with a lot of work by its maintainers. That being said at that point it might be better to just re implement the screencode for color all together in axe. Either way its a large amount of work.
KermMartian wrote:
On the other hand, ticalc.org is filled with versions of Phoenix that merely have a few sprites changed.
That may be true, but there are also some really cool Phoenix clones with more than just a few sprites changed. If every single person had to ask PD for permission, we wouldn't have the versions with just a few sprites changed but we also wouldn't have any of the cool new versions with extra weapons, new levels, etc. (PD also actively encourages you to play with the source and learn from it.) In the end, the idea is for more people to be able to play and enjoy our games. And the way ticalc works, Mateo (and whoever else ports these games) would be listed as a porter anyway alongside the original author. The community is comparatively small (especially compared to the early days). And in my opinion, someone porting your game over is a sign of respect. You're not porting over quadratic formulas and snakes, you're porting over games that you really enjoyed and want a new generation of calc users to be able to enjoy as well.

It can be nice to notify the authors, but i'd say the email should be more along the lines of "Hey, remember that awesome game you made back in the day? I (and some other people) have ported it to one of TI's newest TI calcs, you can check it out *here* and see some screenshots of it in action *here*. Thanks for sharing your source and for writing the game to begin with!"
Hey Mateo! I downloaded your mario port and it works great. However, I only was able to get the levels that were supplied. Are you thinking about porting Medit? I would highly reccommend that as another thing to port to color. I think everything you're doing here is just amazing though Smile
Botboy3000 wrote:
Hey Mateo! I downloaded your mario port and it works great. However, I only was able to get the levels that were supplied. Are you thinking about porting Medit? I would highly reccommend that as another thing to port to color. I think everything you're doing here is just amazing though Smile

Yeah, you can use any levels in ticalc's mario level sets. I just ported the MEdit program; having a problem at the input screen right now with text; it doesn't show the text input and things. Shouldn't take too long to figure it out though. Smile

When can we see that QuadPlayer demo for CSE?
solarsoftware wrote:
When can we see that QuadPlayer demo for CSE?

I believe that this is what you may be looking for: Wink Not quite done yet, but getting close: http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11276&highlight=
WAIT! If monochrome programs can be converted...

Could we be seeing a Gossamer port soon?
Wait I got a crazy idea ! That could bring Axe to CSE, in some way : you can't program it on calc/compile it, but you can run some axe created program with a little utility and an axiom. We could provide an axiom with the necessary new fastcopy command (and use it instead of Dispgraph) and the utility just change the program identifier bytes. That could work, even if it seems pretty much hacks :p
Problem is the change in free ram area, but we could provide new constant too Very Happy
TheMachine02 wrote:
Wait I got a crazy idea ! That could bring Axe to CSE, in some way : you can't program it on calc/compile it, but you can run some axe created program with a little utility and an axiom. We could provide an axiom with the necessary new fastcopy command (and use it instead of Dispgraph) and the utility just change the program identifier bytes. That could work, even if it seems pretty much hacks :p
Problem is the change in free ram area, but we could provide new constant too Very Happy

Theoretically, yes. But in all honesty, it might be better to have an Axe port itself, as it would have color support and be so much better. In addition, grayscale would not be emulated correctly, and there are many other issues to take into consideration. Sad

solarsoftware wrote:
WAIT! If monochrome programs can be converted...

Could we be seeing a Gossamer port soon?

No, probably not. The amount of time to port something like this, as it uses features of DCS would be to much.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Unicorn wrote:
Looking nice, how much z80 ASM do you need to get the program runming on the screen like that?

Honestly, it wan't too hard. As long as you have the source, it is pretty nice to make it work. Of course, you can't use hardware vertical scrolling, but writing a software routine to do that isn't bad. Smile

This took me about ten minutes to change, but quite a bit longer to write the code to make it do it right. Smile


Here's a couple examples that I just randomly selected off of the webs:

3D maze:


Rubiks Cube:


EDIT: So here' the idea that I was thinking about, but not sure if it is feasible at all right now: As tr1p1ea was saying, I could have different colors for different buffers, but that would require updating multiple times per frame, unless there is someway to avoid that... Confused
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/366/36698.html
I believe this is it.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 5
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement