I recently got a ti-83 plus silver on craigslist for 10 dollars. It was working but only sometimes. it ended up where the display would only go black. I did the cable repair and now it acts like there is no power going to the calc. I plugged in my ti-connect and im not getting any response, help please?
You seem to have either a broken screen or something is broken in the calculator. Is there anything rattling inside the calculator? If not, then you have a broken screen. If there is, then you can just find out what is rattling in the calc and replace it.
I don't understand how the screen would be "broken" because even if that were the case it would still connect via the ti-connect if i'm not mistaken? the system is currently taken apart and i don't see any missing parts, and i'm pretty skilled with a soldering iron so i do not believe that is the problem.
dracor189 wrote:
I recently got a ti-83 plus silver on craigslist for 10 dollars. It was working but only sometimes. it ended up where the display would only go black. I did the cable repair and now it acts like there is no power going to the calc. I plugged in my ti-connect and im not getting any response, help please?
Do you have a multimeter handy to try to make sure the mainboard is getting powered properly? Is it possible the SMT fuse blew? Are the batteries fresh?
Yes i have a multimeter, I checked the fuse and it's good. Power is going to the main board as checked by my multimeters non contact voltage reader. I'm really stumped here. I've checked all surrounding fets and diodes and everything is coming up good.
and batteries are brand new as well, straight from the package. Thanks for the responses so far. Please don't be afraid to get technical with me.
If anyone has any info i would gladly provide a reward for your help, As well as contribute my wealth of knowledge regarding graphing calculators and possibly throw up some in detail guides.
So is just the display black? As in each pixel is filled? Is the contrast up at all? I know, I know, that sounds silly as that is probably the first thing checked, but it's a place to start. Also, has this calculator had any random lines across it, or turned blue for some reason? Was it dropped at any point?

EDIT: Also, double posting is frowned upon here, so if you need to add additional information, just editing your latest post is fine. Thanks! Smile
(BTW that was a triple-post. Smile )
Haha sorry i was trying to figure out how to edit my message but i just realized when you said that, That there is an edit button on the top right corner i hadn't seen. thanks. Also it's not a contrast issue like i said it wouldn't even show up in the ti explorer via the silver ti-link usb link cable. And no random lines no turning blue. It was just the common symptoms where the screen would get garbled then it was just solid black and after doing the ribbon repair it won't do anything.

Edit: I decided to go a different route with it as i wasn't figuring anything out i had a 84+ SE with a cracked screen and i took the screen from the 83+SE and swapped it over to the 84, works great.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours