adriweb wrote:
But yeah, I doubt any of us here will ever see one month of battery life anyway.

Certainly not if MateoConLechuga ports Portal to the TI-84+CE Wink
Ha no kidding! Razz
JamesV wrote:
adriweb wrote:
But yeah, I doubt any of us here will ever see one month of battery life anyway.

Certainly not if MateoConLechuga ports Portal to the TI-84+CE Wink
I very much hope he does! It can only get faster with an ez80 processor and a memory-mapped LCD, and that's a Portal C[S]E I can really get behind. Smile
I can only say this... :

I really really really want one, or why one? Why not several?!
My wallet is probably gonna feel lonely for a while after it's available for purchase here..
since its been announced, does that mean stores might start allowing pre-ordering?

I have a handful of projects i am ready to get started on, and its high time I get a color TI calc. given its speed has been upped, Ill throw in for a CE.

Kerm, do you know why they decided to put the ports on the side? that seemed really bizzare, given TI has usually gone with vertically oriented ports in the past.
KermMartian wrote:
I very much hope he does! It can only get faster with an ez80 processor and a memory-mapped LCD, and that's a Portal C[S]E I can really get behind. Smile
As do i! Also, has a memory-mapped LCD been confirmed? That would be great news!
At least, we know that if the LCD is memory-mapped, then the mapping is outside the RAM area, because 320x240x16 bits = 153600 bytes > (total amount of RAM - available amount of RAM).
These calcs look amazing! I like the black one the best. Would it be better to start colour coding on this rather than the 84pcse or does it matter? (Still looking for what kind of colour calc to invest in)
Chauronslilsis wrote:
(Still looking for what kind of colour calc to invest in)

Get an Nspire CX CAS! It's the only color calc with a CAS, and boy are CASs handy! (Plus, you can install linux on it!)
Ivoah wrote:
Chauronslilsis wrote:

Get an Nspire CX CAS! It's the only color calc with a CAS, and boy are CASs handy! (Plus, you can install linux on it!)

Note though that this is not usually allowed on most standardized tests. Wink But yes, the Nspire is quite neat! Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Note though that this is not usually allowed on most standardized tests. Wink But yes, the Nspire is quite neat! Smile

But normal 83+ is right? That's the only graphing calc I can use now. I do have my little 30xs for the occasional square root problem.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Ivoah wrote:
Chauronslilsis wrote:

It's allowed on all tests in the US except the ACT (I used it on the PSAT)

education.ti.com wrote:
Standardized testing organizations have approved the TI-Nspire CX CAS handheld for SAT*, PSAT/NMSQT*, AP* and Praxis high-stakes exams. It is also approved for some state exams.
Really! That is quite surprising; for some reason I remember that most people were unable to use them for the fact that they had CAS... Also looks like the 89 is allowed on most things as well... Well, what do you know. Smile Thanks! Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Really! That is quite surprising; for some reason I remember that most people were unable to use them for the fact that they had CAS... Also looks like the 89 is allowed on most things as well... Well, what do you know. Smile Thanks! Smile

They didn't even check my calculator when I took the PSAT
Chauronslilsis wrote:
These calcs look amazing! I like the black one the best. Would it be better to start colour coding on this rather than the 84pcse or does it matter? (Still looking for what kind of colour calc to invest in)
As Adriweb pointed out, it looks like TI might be swiftly replacing the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition with the TI-84+CE rather than simply supplementing it, so you should go ahead and get this calculator. TI-BASIC is still the same.

Lionel Debroux wrote:
At least, we know that if the LCD is memory-mapped, then the mapping is outside the RAM area, because 320x240x16 bits = 153600 bytes > (total amount of RAM - available amount of RAM).
Pages outside of the (user) RAM space have always been used for hardware features: RAM pages 2 and 3 (?) for USB and MathPrint, 4 and 5 for the graph buffer, and so on. I just share tr1p1ea's concerns about whether the LCD's half-resolution mode will still be available, because it will make porting xLIBC that much easier!
Is Cemetech officially a part of TI now? Should there be some sort of disclaimer that this is an official PR extension?
Luxen wrote:
since its been announced, does that mean stores might start allowing pre-ordering?

I have a handful of projects i am ready to get started on, and its high time I get a color TI calc. given its speed has been upped, Ill throw in for a CE.
Especially once we start exploring and documenting its features, and creating libraries and APIs so others can get started with programs more quickly. In fact, I think the RAM may give us more capabilities than the increased speed: I know there are at least two similar RTS games I've long dragged my feet on making because I thought there wouldn't be enough space for code.

Quote:
Kerm, do you know why they decided to put the ports on the side? that seemed really bizzare, given TI has usually gone with vertically oriented ports in the past.
That's an excellent question. Of course, the Parcus calculators are an exception, because they have the port on the side, but every non-Parcus case has had the ports on the top or bottom. I suspect the shape of the case may have had something to do with that decision, and the PCB might also be shorter and not extend to the top of the case. I won't know until I can publish a public teardown for you guys.
KermMartian wrote:
and the PCB might also be shorter and not extend to the top of the case. I won't know until I can publish a public teardown for you guys.

If the 83PCE's HW turns out to be identical to the 84+CE's, then here's your answer (source : Critor's review) :

Anyway, it's definitely not like the 84+CSE which was taking the whole height :

Note : the horizontal/side ports were also present on the TI-Nspire CM-C (chinese model), launched a few years ago :
Well, hey...... I have a TI-84+CSE, and if I really try, I can get it to run for two months straight. So one month......... Good, but not amazing.
Kerm wrote:
...I know there are at least two similar RTS games I've long dragged my feet on making because I thought there wouldn't be enough space for code.

Kerm, Basic, or ASM? if you plan on this in basic, then CODE CODE CODE! (since TI-Basic will be pretty unchanged).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours