Would you like Magic the Gathering card game on your calculator?
Yes
 72%  [ 8 ]
No
 27%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

Lately, I have been thinking about a Magic The Gathering program.This is going to be a long, tough program because I have decided (after much thought) to write it in TI-BASIC. I will be using a TI-84 +CSE to program this. Any other questions I will be happy to answer.
Coming from an avid player of Magic the Gathering, I am very excited about this. What are your plans for this? Will you make it Calcnet-capable?
Currently, I am planning to do it via CalcNet. As of right now, all I have where you just put in how many cards player 1 is attacking with, and the strength and toughness of each of the cards. After that, I have player 2 input how many cards they are defending with, and the strength and toughness of them. After that, I am going to try to have the calc figure out which cards are destroyed, and which ones stay, and how much life you lost. That's all for right now. Lots more to be added later.
Let me offer a suggestion... keep the effects, stats, etc stored on a hub and just keep card numbers (and types) on calc. So that you declare an attack with tCreature, n00321, and the server tells the opponent that you attacked with GateKeeper Vine, a 2/2. The server also stores the sprites for each card. So, your calc only needs the sprites for your hand size + a card you may be looking at.

Again, it depends on whether you want a full fledged MTG MP game, or a text-based.
I want a full-fledged MTG game. Maybe people will play tournaments with their calculators someday! But until then, I will work on the MTG program.
You could very well be the one to make it happen :p
Now that would be a sight to see. Instead of bringing a deck of cards, players bring Graphing Calculator !!! Wink
Anyone have any suggestions/questions?
This sounds like a major, major undertaking! Smile If you can pull it off, then go for it! It is going to get quite large though, I imagine, because of all the data that you will need to have. Good luck! I've only played Magic a couple times, and it was quite difficult to understand at first, at least for me. Razz
What I was think was to put all your cards on a server, and have the server keep track of what cards are in the deck, in your hand, and on the battlefield, and graveyard/exiled. the rest is up to the calculator.
What kind of server? I am a little confused by that...
A CalcNet server, if I can get that to work. I am going to need a little(i mean a lot) help with this.
You mean you want Wizards for the 84+CSE?
Not Wizards- Magic: The Gathering.
chickendude wrote:
You mean you want Wizards for the 84+CSE?

Wizards was based off of Magic the Gathering, but it is a very watered-down version.
How do you think I should put in card abilities, like trample, exile, haste, vigilance, etc?
You can create flags. Pardon the assembly, but:

Code:

#define abilityFlags saferam1
abilityTrample .equ 0
abilityHaste .equ 1
abilityVigilance .equ 2
abilityFirstStrike .equ 3
...and so on

to read them out:

ld a,(abilityFlags)
bit n,a   ; where n is one of the ability equates
jr z,routine_if_has_ability

For the amount of data you will need, assembly/axe would be far better than basic. You're talking a whole slew of abilities like those you listed, then card effects that need data and specs attached to them. You need color and type data...power and toughness. It's a lot.

Easiest way would be to keep all this in a database on the server, keep some equates on your calculator, and query the server for card info when it is needed. MTG is too expansive of a game to store all that info about each card on the calculator.
This is the z80 assembly subforum, after all... I don't agree about the server part, apart from preventing you from playing that anywhere away from your computer that additionally limits your program to a very small portion of actual calc users with no real added benefit. The game also becomes completely unplayable as soon as the server goes down.

Also, the latest version of Wizards is much more comprehensive than what you've got in the Wizards demo from 10 years ago. It's still being developed. (Check out the screenshots). It may not be exactly what you want, but i think it's a very good starting point (much much more than a starting point).
chickendude wrote:
This is the z80 assembly subforum, after all... I don't agree about the server part, apart from preventing you from playing that anywhere away from your computer that additionally limits your program to a very small portion of actual calc users with no real added benefit. The game also becomes completely unplayable as soon as the server goes down.

Yes, all that is true, but the sheer magnitude of the data you would need to store. Even if it were a player v. computer game. If you wanted to make it MTG clone, and not an MTG-based game, you wouldn't even be able to store the names of all the cards, let alone effects and abilities, even in compressed format.
If you've already started coding, i would like to see some screenshots. I think MTG on the calculator would be pretty cool though.

A while ago I tried doing that with basic but only got as far as being able build up to three different decks with 60 cards each. the cards did not have any images but you could create your own cards.

I'm interested in seeing how yours goes and maybe I could learn something. I'd be really interested in seeing your work on the battles and actual gameplay.
I don't think MTG is a game that can be easiliy coded at all. This sounds rediculous to implement. Where should I start. How do you do triggers?
http://www.e-reading.link/chapter.php/72410/54/Gottlieb_-_Magic__The_Gathering_Comprehensive_Rules.html

I mean you can make a similar game but implement the entire MTG rule set? I say: no way.

BTW: this is a mockup of a potential magic-like card game (I was just playing around with mana symbols, elements, etc.):

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours