Would you like more storage on your calc?
Yes
 80%  [ 8 ]
No
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Idea
I have been thinking lately about making something that you can just plug in to your calc and extend the RAM/ARC storage. King of like a flashdrive/portable hardrive. What do you guys think of this?
there is something to extend the storage of your calc, I don't yet have the correct adapter to try it out, it should come in this weekend, but i'm really hoping it works, here is the link, go have a look Smile
http://radicalsoft.org/msd8x/
It looks nice.... but wouldn't it be better to just have something that plugs into your mini-usb chargeport, or even the I/O port?
i may have read it wrong, but i think that's what is going on...
caleb1997 wrote:
It looks nice.... but wouldn't it be better to just have something that plugs into your mini-usb chargeport, or even the I/O port?

They do make USB flash drives with a mini-USB port built right into it.

One thing to note about msd8x is that it doesn't behave correctly on calculators with only 48KB of RAM. The UI that sorts the files in alphabetical order expects more than 48KB of RAM -- it could be rewritten, I just haven't taken the time.
Those are nice.... but I haven't seen anything really big on storage like that. Why not just have something that is, like, 2 TB of storage?
It's difficult to support large file systems like NTFS on a calculator, which is what would be required to support that much storage. msd8x and usb8x only support FAT16 partitions, because even going up to FAT32 complicates things.

I think you'd have a very hard time coming anywhere close to filling up 2TB with calculator files, or even 2GB.
Well, hey..... You can never have too much storage.
What is NTFS?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NTFS
While MSD8x is exceptionally cool, and you could do interesting things with linking and an external microcontroller attached to an SD card, I'm pretty happy with the available Archive on everything except the TI-83 Plus. The thing we all want is more RAM rather than more Archive, and because of how the z80's addressing works, that's not really feasible.
Is it feasible to increase the ARC with this method? And sorry for the double post up there Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours