So it really has been ten years since the beta version of Wizards was released.
I can't believe it myself and it is so awesome that this community is still very much alive. However, it seemed to me that the golden times of the TI83+ are over when I saw the number of voters for the last ticalc POTY. What are the active forums now? Most of the people from the old days are lurking around here right? I've just seen tr1p1ea, BrandonW, tifreak8x and of course Kerm in the chats, but there are many more nice people I met, some in real life (ASMsterdam??), some on the TILP irc channels and others on forums.
I want to say thank you to the RevSoft members (especially Madskillz, chickendude, BuckeyeDude, Deep Thought and historically jim e and Spencer), Omnimaga, Cemetech, to MaxCoderz where everything began (thanks kv83!), all fans Wink, you for reading and everybody else who I forgot to mention. THANKS for being awesome.

I am very proud to announce that Wizards, my biggest project (or longest) is now almost finished and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Actually, I only need to do some documentation work, how to play the game and you know the stuff that belongs in read me files ...

Also check out my FunkLibrary project (Wizards is build with it).

Here are some screenshots over the time.........

2005:

2009:

2015:

Download Wizards.8xk (version 1.2)

Ok guys real quick: controls are mostly 2nd and Clear, only in battles you want to hit and hold down Alpha to end your turn and scroll through the log until it's your turn again. The -/+ on the cards is an indicator for cost or bonus of "spheres" that are used as a second currency besides mana which is always at the right of the hand cards. You get two mana every turn. You can cast as many cards in one turn as you can. When you run out of cards it's game over. After four consecutive fights there will be the boss battle of each quest. If you beat the boss, boosters will be unlocked and you will get some upgrades (huhuuu). There is also one secret cheat. Have fun. <3
Oooooh man D: Those graphics are friggin BEAUTIFUL! I will give this a try soon. And I hope this makes it up to the Cemetech (and ticalc) archives soon Very Happy
Ooh, a new version of Wizards! Glad to see this is still alive. Very Happy As for active forums I would say that Cemetech, CodeWalrus, Omnimaga, TI-Planet (French), TI-BASIC Developer and HP Museum are the things, nowadays. I think Revsoft still has some activity but it seems pretty rare since the 2011 data loss. Among older people that are still around outside Cemetech there is myself, Art of Camelot and Calc84maniac, but most others are people who joined after 2008 or so.

Good job on this game Smile
Looks awesome!

Is there a chance of Wizards in colour?! Very Happy.
tr1p1ea wrote:

I WAS thinking about this... Evil or Very Mad But I don't think it's gonna happen.
This looks super great!

There are still many long timers around (not to blow my own trumpet, but including myself at nearly 17 years since uploading my first calc program to Dimension-TI, ticalc.org & TI-Files, hard to believe!).

Unfortunately some of the really old school guys such as Jimmy Mardell, Bill Nagel, Hannes Edfeldt, Dan Englender, Joe Wingbermuehle, etc. are no longer active. However some of them are still contactable, I had a few emails back and forth with Jimmy around 3-4 years ago, and Hannes contacted me recently to thank me for porting Spaze Invaders to the 84PCSE.
Oh yeah, I met Joe Wingbermuehle in Amsterdam, he was way older than me and man I didn't know what to say with my bad english... haha.

So is anybody playing Magic or Hearthstone btw?

And please give Wizards a try Razz Tell me what you (dis)like most and what cards need to get balanced...
I love hearthstone. Got to play since beta since my school's esports club gave out keys for those who paid the ten bucks of club fees.
I don't play as much magic anymore because most of my IRL friends that played are in other states or countries studying.
I'll probably give this latest version of wizards a try, I remember downloading the 2005 version and sending it to my friends in middle school. It was already a super awesome game at that time and pretty impressive too. I was really surprised that you were still working on it. Really glad you still are working on it though.
Oh wow. I can't even right now. This is absolutely awesome! It definitely shows the amount of time and effort that went into this. Great work! Very Happy

The gameplay interface is so great to get used to! Smile
NanoWar wrote:
tr1p1ea wrote:

I WAS thinking about this... Evil or Very Mad But I don't think it's gonna happen.
Nano, i think this would be a great project for the new CE Wink Also, think of all the extra screen space you'd have! Don't tell me it isn't an enticing idea!

JamesV wrote:
This looks super great!

There are still many long timers around (not to blow my own trumpet, but including myself at nearly 17 years since uploading my first calc program to Dimension-TI, ticalc.org & TI-Files, hard to believe!).
I myself am going on 15 years (13 years from my first upload at ticalc) :O I would assume Kerm is, too. Also, PatrickD is still around and even wrote some stuff for the CSE when it first came out.

MateoConLechuga wrote:
The gameplay interface is so great to get used to! Smile
NanoWar is the master of interface and just making things beautiful. I agree, the layout and just how convenient everything is is just amazing.
chickendude wrote:
Nano, i think this would be a great project for the new CE Wink Also, think of all the extra screen space you'd have! Don't tell me it isn't an enticing idea!

Oh man, I'd rather make a new game then, because I think there are different game mechanics to discover. How many colors does the new calc support? I can only do b/w Razz But ripped graphics for cards and animations in color would definitely look amazing.
Both the TI-84+CSE and the TI-84+CE have LCDs that can display 16-bit (RGB 5-6-5) color. If you use Doors CSE for your sprite needs, as many do, then you have a variety of sprite depths available to you:
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php/Included_Routines_%28Color%29
NanoWar wrote:
chickendude wrote:

Oh man, I'd rather make a new game then, because I think there are different game mechanics to discover. How many colors does the new calc support? I can only do b/w Razz But ripped graphics for cards and animations in color would definitely look amazing.

Out of curiosity, have you played Sentinels of the Multiverse?
elfprince13 wrote:
Out of curiosity, have you played Sentinels of the Multiverse?

No I have not, should I? Or is it similar to Wizards? Very Happy

But it sure looks fun, as far as I can tell from the pictures (http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com)
Definitely should play! It's similar in that it's a strategic combat-oriented card game, but very different in that it's multiplayer-cooperative. Each hero pretty much always has the same deck (though there a couple "alternate cards" you can print out from their website), but there are tons of expansions. It also has a super-well-designed learning curve, in that you can participate usefully on a team at pretty much any skill level, but the heroes are arranged by "complexity" with increasingly quirky game mechanics to keep it fun as you gain a deeper understanding of the game.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours