Travis wrote:
Ugh, can't they come up with better model names for their calculators? Next thing you know they'll make different models called "TI-84 Plus EC" and "TI-84 Plus CES" and "TI-84 Plus SEC", etc., and no one will get them straight. If this model requires me to add yet another platform section to ticalc.org's file archives, there will be no hope of anyone uploading files to the correct calc directory ever again…
Yeah, I thought of that. I wonder if they think consumers won't realize that a "TI-87" or "TI-8400" or something is a successor to the TI-84 Plus line. I maintain that there should have been a Platinum Edition or Gold Edition or something of that ilk. I remember even GIMPing up a Gold Edition of my own back in the day from a TI-83 Plus Silver Edition photograph. Smile I wish us both the best of luck keeping our Archives organized.

Quote:
With that rant out of the way, this does sound pretty interesting, and I'm curious myself as to how the hardware and CPU are set up and what this means for graphics performance. Smile
I'm almost hoping that DrDnar's surmise is correct; it seems like the best option for us, and probably still the cheapest for TI in the long run.
Travis wrote:
Next thing you know they'll make different models called "TI-84 Plus EC" and "TI-84 Plus CES" and "TI-84 Plus SEC", etc.

The TI-84 Plus EC features advanced error-correcting logic to help students who tend to fumble the keys.

The limited-edition TI-84 Plus CES was quietly given away during CES, but nobody noticed.

The TI-84 Plus SEC is a special edition for the Securities and Exchange Commission, as some of their older employees still prefer desktop calculators, because they think typing is "women's work."
This looks promising, and if it meets all my expectations, I'll replace my 84+. And that means backward compatibility!
Mmm...
Faster speed with a color screen is definitely good.
I really don't like the keyboard. The big square keys seem big and...derpy in comparison to the normal TI keyboard.
Also no more sound.. Sad
KermMartian wrote:
Travis wrote:
Ugh, can't they come up with better model names for their calculators? Next thing you know they'll make different models called "TI-84 Plus EC" and "TI-84 Plus CES" and "TI-84 Plus SEC", etc., and no one will get them straight. If this model requires me to add yet another platform section to ticalc.org's file archives, there will be no hope of anyone uploading files to the correct calc directory ever again...
Yeah, I thought of that. I wonder if they think consumers won't realize that a "TI-87" or "TI-8400" or something is a successor to the TI-84 Plus line. I maintain that there should have been a Platinum Edition or Gold Edition or something of that ilk. I remember even GIMPing up a Gold Edition of my own back in the day from a TI-83 Plus Silver Edition photograph. Smile I wish us both the best of luck keeping our Archives organized.
I feel for you Travis, and also for you Kerm. Assuming you develop a version of Doors for this new calc, what will you call it? DoorsCS9? DoorsCSC9? Or you could pull a Microsoft and just call it Doors 10 Wink

DrDnar wrote:
The TI-84 Plus EC features advanced error-correcting logic to help students who tend to fumble the keys.

The limited-edition TI-84 Plus CES was quietly given away during CES, but nobody noticed.

The TI-84 Plus SEC is a special edition for the Securities and Exchange Commission, as some of their older employees still prefer desktop calculators, because they think typing is "women's work."
Haha, wow! Razz
It sucks to not know enough information to even start planning programming tools and routines etc.

For those looking to start CSE projects, do you hold off for now, or do you commence and risk having to do mass rewrites if things are too different?
tr1p1ea wrote:
It sucks to not know enough information to even start planning programming tools and routines etc.

For those looking to start CSE projects, do you hold off for now, or do you commence and risk having to do mass rewrites if things are too different?
Heh yeah, I'm on the verge of starting something for the CSE (after AB5 v2 is finished), but I might hold off. We'll see how quickly more details are discovered / announced..
tr1p1ea wrote:
I'd at least like to be able to get SourceCoder, jsTIfied, and the Cemetech Archives ready for the new calculator. As mentioned in the first post of this topic, I already created a Cemetech Tools page about the TI-84 Plus CE.

Quote:
Based on my recent discussions, I'm pretty confident that current TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition programs and Apps will run with no or minimal modifications on the TI-84 Plus CE. I see no reason to hold off.

JamesV wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
JamesV wrote:
I wonder if they'll cater to those of us who primarily code games...
Unfortunately, I suspect you've already answered your question there. Smile As I think I mentioned long ago, they're aware that the programmers who develop on their calculators are an audience to be noted, especially in how we help to introduce students to programming, but students and teachers using the calculators for math and science, as well as standardized testing boards, will always come before us. Smile
Heh yeah I haven't got my hopes up, it was more of just an "I wish...". Even if they implemented a driver with hardware scrolling on the vertical axis, we could then go into half-res mode and emulate scrolling on the horizontal axis. And then... Alien Breed in colour! But yeah, very doubtful, and understandable from TI's point of view. Smile
Actually, half-resolution mode is only half-resolution on the X axis (and permits horizontal offsets). We fake the Y axis being half resolution by drawing every pixel twice.
KermMartian wrote:
JamesV wrote:
Heh yeah I haven't got my hopes up, it was more of just an "I wish...". Even if they implemented a driver with hardware scrolling on the vertical axis, we could then go into half-res mode and emulate scrolling on the horizontal axis. And then... Alien Breed in colour! But yeah, very doubtful, and understandable from TI's point of view. Smile
Actually, half-resolution mode is only half-resolution on the X axis (and permits horizontal offsets). We fake the Y axis being half resolution by drawing every pixel twice.

Oops my bad, I didn't explain myself very well Shock It should have read like this:

Quote:
... if they implemented a driver with hardware scrolling on the vertical (Y) axis, that would take care of vertical scrolling. We could go into half-res mode to enable scrolling on the horizontal (X) axis.

Smile
I'm actually looking forward to this calculator, now that I think about it! Smile It will be fun to see what sort of new and exciting things it will have in store for us. Perhaps more challenges that we will overcome, or even something awesome that we can only hope for. I hope that this is TI's successful attempt at a new color calculator. I'm just going to wait and see what emerges. Smile
IMHO I think the only issue with current CSE programs will be speed-wise. You might have some speed adjusting if your games run too fast, for example.
I'd also prefer something z80-compatible to a z80 emulator, but ARM is really great, too, and i wouldn't be upset if we could run ARM code on it. Like tr1p1ea, though, i'm less enthused about coding z80 for an emulator.

I must say though that i think the new design looks really pretty, it reminds me a bit of the HP Prime.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
I'm actually looking forward to this calculator, now that I think about it! Smile It will be fun to see what sort of new and exciting things it will have in store for us. Perhaps more challenges that we will overcome, or even something awesome that we can only hope for. I hope that this is TI's successful attempt at a new color calculator. I'm just going to wait and see what emerges. Smile
And to be fair, considering that speed was one of our biggest complaints when the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition came out, I'd say we should be sufficiently excited to have something compatible with the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition but much faster (assuming this is such a calculator). Smile

DJ_O wrote:
IMHO I think the only issue with current CSE programs will be speed-wise. You might have some speed adjusting if your games run too fast, for example.
I suspect that this is the case. I doubt they would provide such a thing, but it would be neat for the TI-84 Plus CE's TI-BASIC to provide a new token to switch from "compatibility" speed to a new "full" speed.

chickendude wrote:
I must say though that i think the new design looks really pretty, it reminds me a bit of the HP Prime.
You're not the first person to say that: it is indeed quite Prime-esque. However, I suspect that the case is in fact nearly if not completely identical in dimensions and shape to the TI-Nspire case.
That's unless, of course, TI was dumb enough to forget to remove speed throttling routines (unless the emulator was so bad that it actually ran at full speed?) from the Nspire 84+SE emulator that they will most likely modify and use.

Also if it's an emulator, then I hope it doesn't emulate the CSE screen refresh speed. While a speed that is 6 times faster than the CSE would eliminate most speed problems, it would still be noticeable, especially when typing stuff in MathPrint mode.
for all the people complaining about sound issues, why hasn't anyone ever looked into culling sound from the USB port? sure, driver or hardware (likely both), but still...

I think that the new design is quite pretty. the shape of the keys isn't too much of a factor for me, but I would be interested in how they feel - several of my calcs go unused simply because the keys are too "soft".

the upped speed is nice, and since I haven't very much attached myself to the z80 processor, I cannot say that having to switch to a new one is going to be difficult for me, should they have chosen to use an ARM.

I bet Kerm is going to open one up soon as he can get his hands on one of these fine machines; until then I wait to see more about what this device holds under its skin.

the 2 biggest question I have is how TI-Basic is going to be impacted, and the possible addition of another language, should TI choose ARM.

I will be getting one of these.
tr1p1ea wrote:

this just made my day
Found a promo video on youtube!

Nice one!
Nice find! I am working on writing up a news article based on a lot of information we've gleaned from TI Education France's videos and informational pages. I'll shortly link it here so we can continue the discussion in that new thread.

Edit: More pictures! More videos! Continue the discussion in TI-France's TI-83 Premium CE Hints at TI-84 Plus CE Features.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours