Hello, I have the idea of making an Axe simulator.
Would anyone else make use of a way to test and debug games on your pc and then export them to axe so that you can compile them on your calc.
It would be way faster, you could easily set breakpoints and debug your memory, there wouldn't be any big delay when compiling.
The problem with this is that Axe is officially still in development. And if you make a simulator of it, you'll have to update it for each Axe update.

And I don't really think it would be useful, just use an emulator. They can load your programs, compile faster than a real calc, run them, some can debug, and you don't have to do anything to your emu when a new version of Axe comes out except put the new version on it. The only thing that is lacking is breakpoints, but you can add them manually in your program (and use a macro to disable them when not debugging).
Before I forget, I wanted to point out that tr1p1ea responded to the creation of this thread with a link to an existing PC interpreter for Axe on IRC: https://github.com/Michael0x2a/axe-interpreter. If you do decide to follow through with this project, perhaps it would be worthwhile to consider forking his work?
Hayleia:
Axe is still under development? Haven't known that. But nothing has really changed for a long time, so I will risk it.
I don't like emulators, as they tend to glitch stuff up.
And its still pretty bad to edit code on them as you have to make your way through the menus. And I hate debugging code by using Disp and Pause commands. Even if they're macros.

And Kerm:
Yeah I've seen this (and I'm aware of it), but I really hate interpreted languages. I will create it in a high level language like C, Java or C#.
Muessigb wrote:
Hayleia:
Axe is still under development? Haven't known that. But nothing has really changed for a long time, so I will risk it.

That's what you think. Maybe there has not been any release since October 2013, but there is a development build here fixing some bugs that are present in the latest public version. For example, try compiling "L1→°Test .comment" with the latest version and with the dev build. It will not work on the latest version and it will on the dev build.

Muessigb wrote:
I don't like emulators, as they tend to glitch stuff up.

I never managed to have Tilem glitch. Maybe that's because I don't do weird hacks in my program but still, I think it's pretty hard to make them glitch with Axe code.

Muessigb wrote:
And its still pretty bad to edit code on them as you have to make your way through the menus.

Well I didn't say you should code on the emu, I said "they can load your programs" for a reason. You can edit your code with vim if you want, on a large screen and with syntax highlighting, then use tok8x to convert your text file into a 8xp program and send it to the emulator (or use TokenIDE if you are on Windows). That's what I do with SSBO. It's too large to be compiled quickly on a real calculator and it has too long lines to be edited on a calculator.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours