Hello,
I'm working on a Javascript or LUA client and server which allows anyone to write live, interactive, online games. So you could easily create something like Tron or Pacman but with multiplayer support in LUA or JS.
The API is built around SFML and has direct functions releated to networking. There will be a server and a client part. Somebody can host a server (similar to other game servers) and others can apply for hosting games on this server. One part of the script resides on the server and is executed there and the other part is sent to the clients that are participating in the game to display the data sent by the server and register keypresses and stuff.
How's this project going, Muessigb? You indicated that the client might be in Lua, but I presume you're planning to port it to Javascript for the finished product to run in browsers? Or is this intended for stand-alone games that don't run in browsers?
I'm working on the server part right now, which will run Javascript scripts (probably Javascript, that will be Just In Time compiled to machine code), but the browser side is pretty open. You could write any client that can load resources, capture keypresses and display graphics (sprites), text, pixel manipulation, play sounds, and mainly open a web socket and keep sending and receiving data, so yes, you could do it in a webbrowser, but my skills aren't good enough for browser javascript. And not being able to get and send data cross-domain is bad too. But if anybody wants to write a web client, I would be happy if you do so. My protocoll will be usng JSON and the specs will be opened. The server and my official client will be written as a standalone application, written in C# so that Unix people can run it too.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours