Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
CKH4 wrote:
The only ones left that mateo didn't change are the box and the surfaces (walls/floors and portal surfaces). Well those and the energy ball, but you changed it enough so that I think that you can consider it your own.
I don't think you could say the energy ball sprite really "belongs" to anyone, it's just an orange circle Razz Also, was it you or Mateo who made the diagonally closing doors?
Mateo did.
*bump*
I fixed a few more bugs, changed around the physics a bit, and added some sprites:


Also, CKH4 made a cool banner for the game, and I modified it a bit to look more like the actual game:


Edit: Added buttons!


Edit: Animated Screenshot!
https://www.screenr.com/embed/4XuN
Looking very nice! I have one question about your physics though: So when you move, do you just jump to the next pixel location? What I mean is that is your velocity is 4, do you jump 4 pixels each step? It might be made smoother by moving it only one step at a time, and depending on what the velocity is, moving it that many times during a frame to give smoother motion... I'm kind of bad at explaining things, so... Yeah. Great work so far though! Smile

EDIT: or is that just the screenshot doing funky things?
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Looking very nice! I have one question about your physics though: So when you move, do you just jump to the next pixel location? What I mean is that is your velocity is 4, do you jump 4 pixels each step? It might be made smoother by moving it only one step at a time, and depending on what the velocity is, moving it that many times during a frame to give smoother motion... I'm kind of bad at explaining things, so... Yeah. Great work so far though! Smile

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but if my velocity is 4, it moves 4 pixels at once. It seems like you're concerned about fluidity, I promise it looks a lot more fluid in the real thing than what the laggy screenshot might suggest.
Ah, okay! Smile It just seemed like the guy was jumping around a bit. Smile Nice, I can't wait. Smile But this means I'll need to find an nSpire at some point... Oh well. Very Happy
Is the latest version up on the beta site?

EDIT: I think that you should only be able to jump one block high, not two.
Ivoah wrote:
Is the latest version up on the beta site?

EDIT: I think that you should only be able to jump one block high, not two.

Yup, beta site is updated!
Anyways, I added cubes, energy balls and toggle switches, this is finally progressing at a decent rate!




The old video turned into a .gif (Slightly outdated)


EDIT:
I made portal shooting instant, here's a video to demonstrate portal shooting, energy balls and toggle switches:



(the screen recorder i used maxed out at 30 seconds so you miss the end of the level where the energy ball hits the switch, opening the door on the far right)
I really like how the new portal shooting looks, keep up the great work!
Ivoah wrote:
I really like how the new portal shooting looks, keep up the great work!

Thanks!

I changed around the level, added droppers that can spawn energy balls or cubes, added ability to put the aperture labs logo on blocks:


Also changed CKH4's banner thingy to match the current design:


EDIT:
Added energy beams and glass! Here's a new video:
Very nice! I just have two comments: The green energy beam (actually an "Emancipation Grid" or "Fizzler") should be blue, and it should remove portals when you pass through it and destroy cubes that pass through it.
Maybe you should add the emancipation grid and keep the green one too.
Ivoah wrote:
Very nice! I just have two comments: The green energy beam (actually an "Emancipation Grid" or "Fizzler") should be blue, and it should remove portals when you pass through it and destroy cubes that pass through it.

I'm having 3 beams, blue, red and green. The one seen in that screenshot does indeed destroy cubes, but I made it green, so not to be confused with the blue beam (which is meant to look similar to a lightbridge).

Here's a screenshot showing that I replaced the glass with a blue beam, and also, that I completely reworked the art:
Whoa! That is looking quite spiffy! Nice work! Smile (I'll probably only go with two types, even though 3 is actually supported, but I just won't ever use it. Razz)
Cool, sort of a buildier look. I like it a lot.
ldstudios wrote:
Ivoah wrote:
Very nice! I just have two comments: The green energy beam (actually an "Emancipation Grid" or "Fizzler") should be blue, and it should remove portals when you pass through it and destroy cubes that pass through it.

I'm having 3 beams, blue, red and green. The one seen in that screenshot does indeed destroy cubes, but I made it green, so not to be confused with the blue beam (which is meant to look similar to a lightbridge).

Here's a screenshot showing that I replaced the glass with a blue beam, and also, that I completely reworked the art:


I love the new style! It looks very aperturey!

In Portal 2, you can't shoot portals through hard light bridges.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Whoa! That is looking quite spiffy! Nice work! Smile (I'll probably only go with two types, even though 3 is actually supported, but I just won't ever use it. Razz)
I had to quote the creator of another Portal game for my compliments on the new art style, since I value his thoughts on it in particular, having spent time evaluating how to do the art for his own version. Do certainly keep up the superb work on this, and I hope I'll have a chance to try out a beta soon.
Thanks!

I made a lot of progress, the most noteable update: turrets!

(screen recorder is a bit laggy)

I will release a beta version fairly soon!
Holy mother of portal!
I love the artwork and I think the character definitely adds a great deal of good-lookingness.
This is absolutely amazing. The indicator in the bottom right is an awesome idea as well.
Amazing work and yes, a lot of progress.
Wish I had an Nspire Wink
APotato wrote:
Holy mother of portal!
I love the artwork and I think the character definitely adds a great deal of good-lookingness.
This is absolutely amazing. The indicator in the bottom right is an awesome idea as well.
Amazing work and yes, a lot of progress.
Wish I had an Nspire Wink

Thanks!

Also: I added heating chambers, where the background slowly fades to red, until eventually, you die. (Almost like a time limit)


EDIT: Added a pause menu
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement