In fulfilling Kerm's Christmas wish for a TI CBL, I noticed the unit I purchased had an unusually early date code. I had to disassemble it anyways to clean out some rather nasty battery leakage, and noticed there were hand-soldered wires between the mainboard and a daughterboard inserted after the initial production.

The CBL in question has date code LTA1995 (Lubbock, TX, USA | Week 19 (May 7th thru May 13th) of 1995) and serial number 10004923. It runs ROM version 5 (Command 7 first element returns 1.0500), whereas my production CBL from 1998 runs ROM version 6.

The complete album of board pictures can be found here (~70MB).

This is exceptionally cool, and I can't wait to play around with it. Nice job documenting it, and I salute you for following through on your hunch that the early date code might mean some interesting internals (we'll ignore the factor of the corrosion for now. Wink ). I notice that the bodge board, as Jonimus put it, seems to be connected to a part labelled AD7776..., which appears to be a family of high-speed multichannel 10-bit ADCs. I also see two transistors, two 100K ohm resistors, and a light-blue component that I can't identify.
KermMartian wrote:
(we'll ignore the factor of the corrosion for now. Wink )

Corrosion? What corrosion?
(I don't have a before and after, sorry)
The component on the bodge board could be a diode? Either way, pretty cool to see a part of history Smile.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours