For about six months, I've been looking at the Da Vinci XYZ 3D printer, a very cheap ($500) single-extruder, heated-bed, ABS 3D printer. Come Thanksgiving, Tim "geekboy1011" Keller pointed out that Newegg was carrying it for only $400, and after a few days of hemming and hawing, I finally decided to invest the $400 to get myself a 3D printer. geekboy1011 and his friend also got one, splitting the cost in half and sharing the printer. My Da Vinci arrived today, and after a short set up, and some learning-by-experience about how much glue stick to apply to the bed (hint: apply some to the right edge where the print head empties the discolored ABS first), I printed a star vase demo object. Check out photos from my unboxing and first print below. I look forward to sharing my experiences as I explore more, and I hope anyone else trying out the Da Vinci XYZ 1.0 will as well.

Neat-o! Razz I expect you'll be using this to print hardware cases for your projects?
I feel like you have a little too much time on your hands... But wow that's cool! Cool
Spenceboy98 wrote:
Neat-o! Razz I expect you'll be using this to print hardware cases for your projects?
Yes, that's the plan. I also will experiment with 3D printing in general, but I'll admit that cases to make my projects look more professional were one of my primary motivations. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Da Vinci's stock firmware can heat the bed for acetone vapor smoothing (~110C) or if it needs third-party firmware for that (or if that's hotter than it can get)?

My second print last night was a Christmas tree ornament:
I don't have any many cool pics as KermM But here is my first print Very Happy

Rather festive eh?
Very nice, sir! Where did you get the teal filament, or did you color/paint that?
Its what came with mine. Its literally a grab bag on the filament color.
Just to record it, I've suggested that geekboy print a horrifying octocat.
Thanks, now I want a 3D printer. This is probably something I can split with my dad. Though, I don't have a need for one but I'm sure I could find projects for my cameras or gadgets. It's probably something I'll look into getting over the next few (2-3) years so I'll be keeping an eye on this. For now:
  • How's the durability of the prints?
  • Is the filament reusable? (if I don't like a print, can I melt it and print with it again or does it use a spool of "thread" like the other printers I've been looking at?)
Now I want a 3D printer so much. However, money...
It's A spool of plastic thread. So unless you had a way to re-draw the plastic its one use. And they are abs plastic so pretty durable! You can also print PLA plastic with some minor modifications.
So does it need like a certain type of glue to join the threads?

Edit: I just realized, Kerm, how many computers do you have?
Na the glue is only there to make sure the first layer sticks. I just printed something and didnt and it printed rather bad. Now I know lol.
Inb4 Kerm writes an interface for the calculator to print out 3D stuff. Or make his printer print out a calculator.
ZachAttack4321 wrote:
This is a photograph from my office, so those computers are (1) my desktop and (2) the server that holds the Mercurial repository for my work code.

Sorunome wrote:
Inb4 Kerm writes an interface for the calculator to print out 3D stuff. Or make his printer print out a calculator.
I actually do plan to make my printer print out some calculator cases. I need to make a very precise model of a TI-84+SE/TI-84+CSE slide case for that, which I don't have the skills for yet. As for the other idea, the printer is a USB serial device, so it could be done, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
ZachAttack4321 wrote:
This is a photograph from my office, so those computers are (1) my desktop and (2) the server that holds the Mercurial repository for my work code.

What about the three on the left in the first image?
Iirc, someone made a 3d modeling program for the 8x+ calcs, so it might be possible
Sorunome wrote:
What about the three on the left in the first image?
Leftmost is my office desktop, middle was my old Mercurial server slash bouncer, right is the new home of the motherboard from the middle computer.

I 3D-printed a TARDIS yesterday. Here's the result before I shaved off bubbles at the base and cleaned up the light at the top:

Is this hollow or solid?
Is it bigger on the inside?

Also, now you have to paint her blue Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours