Download Here

Almost two years ago earthnite and I decided to make a color port of our monochrome TI-BASIC game TI-FLOW. While this project started out well, we quickly realized that performance was going to be a major issue. Development on this project ceased some time around mid 2016.

Since there has been a recent resurgence in interest in this project, I have decided to reprogram the game in C for the TI-84 Plus CE. This version will include all of the features planned for the TI-BASIC version, including color coded flows, progress saving, and at least 600 unique levels.

I previously did some work on a C version of Flow, but there is still a lot to do. Fortunately the capabilities of the C language will make this process much easier, and my level pack generation program should be able to easily translate the levels into whatever format is desired.

Please discuss.

Level editor/ custom level support for people who have no experience in C (like me)?
SM84CE wrote:
Level editor/ custom level support for people who have no experience in C (like me)?

We have a PC-based level editor already, but I can think about creating one for the calculator after everything else is done.
jonbush wrote:
I previously did some work on a C version of Flow, but there is still a lot to do. Fortunately the capabilities of the C language will make this process much easier, and my level pack generation program should be able to easily translate the levels into whatever format is desired.

Please discuss.
How far along did you get with the C version you'd started? Will you be picking up where you left off, or starting fresh?
I basically had an intro screen and part of the level selection menu done before. It also displayed some shapes and the colors in the custom palette. It was mostly experimental, so I will probably start over completely.
Oh... I like this game. Good luck!
*poke* How's it going so far? Are things flowing smoothly??

**SM84CE hides
SM84CE wrote:
*poke* How's it going so far? Are things flowing smoothly??

**SM84CE hides

I now have a computer program to create level pack AppVar files that can be sent to the calculator with TI Connect CE. The game can also locate the available level packs on the calculator, and load the requested level. I'm kind of crunched for time at the moment, so I haven't been able to make much progress with the game itself so far. I have most of December off so I will hopefully be able to work on it much more in the near future.
Another poke: How's it going??
SM84CE wrote:

POKE again. Can you make a to-do list of what you want to do, and what you have already done?

Hope this is flowing along nicely.

***jcgter777 runs
jcgter777 wrote:
SM84CE wrote:

POKE again. Can you make a to-do list of what you want to do, and what you have already done?

Hope this is flowing along nicely.

***jcgter777 runs

To Do:

-Generation of level pack AppVars
    -Splash Screen
    -Detection of available level packs
    -Pack selection screen
    -Level selection screen
    -Loading level data
    -Game board
    -Game play
    -End screen
    -Persistent game state saving and loading
    -Readme
    -An option to skip a level, like browsing.
    -When exiting a level, go to the level selection screen that includes that level
    -Make an icon for Cesium
    -Add star on game board for perfectly completed levels[strike]
    -[strike]Key repeating on pack and level selection pages

-Back to pack selection from level selection
    -Optimization

As you can see, I have not made that much progress since my last update a month ago. After working on it for a few more hours tonight, I am ready to work on the actual game play. This part will require the most work. I am going to force myself to dedicate at least one hour each day to working on FlowCE until it is finished.* I will add more granularity to the to do list as the project progresses.

*Unless there are extenuating circumstances that prevent me from doing this.
Update: The program can now display the flow nodes on the screen. In addition to this, I have made several improvements to the other parts of the program, including reordering the colors to match the order in which they appear in the original game.

Here is a screen recording for proof:

Additionally, the GitHub repository can be found here.

There is still much work to do!
Oh that looks really cool! What will you add to the gameplay screen? Like the field border, amount of moves, time...? Keep up the great work! Smile
I am trying to make this closer to the original game than TI-FLOW, so I will be adding the field border, flows complete, current moves and best moves and pipe percentage. I also need to add some information to the level selection screen, like the size of the currently selected level and the stars and check marks.

Update:

Borders added:
Cool! This is going great!

I'm not going to ask when it'll be out since you may or may not be playing by Kerm's rules...
jcgter777 wrote:
I'm not going to ask when it'll be out since you may or may not be playing by Kerm's rules...

Maybe try not to throw shade at the head admin on his own forum...
Besides, the github repo is available, so it kind of is released already...
Pipe drawing is working now. I sill have to add most of the game logic.

Update (12/31/2017): Pipe erasing has been implemented. This action is triggered when a point in the middle of a pipe is selected, either node is selected after pipe is drawn, or another pipe is drawn over an existing one. Tomorrow I will fix some issues with the cursor and work on adding the progress indicators.
Looking good!
mr womp womp wrote:
jcgter777 wrote:

Maybe try not to throw shade at the head admin on his own forum...
Besides, the github repo is available, so it kind of is released already...

I meant no harm, but I'd hate for FlowCE to get delayed because someone (like me) asked. Sorry Kerm! Smile

***jcgter777 runs
I have fixed the problems with the cursor, and some issues with with the pipe erasing. Here is an apng demonstrating these features.

As you can see, the end of the pipe is sometimes not redrawn properly. I can think of at least two ways to fix this, so it will probably be implemented soon.

After this I need to add the progress indicators and game data saving/loading.

Update: The pipe erasing glitch is fixed now.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours