I bought my RaspberryPi a few days ago and did not have any specific ideas of what to do with it. Then, while making a Christmas present for my sisters, I got an idea. I was cutting holes out of old books to make secret storage compartments, and I came up with the idea of using the same concept to make a laptop out of an old book with a RaspberryPi.

I am calling the project LiteraryPi for now, and I may sell it when I am done. I am making this thread to post pictures and updates in.

P.S.

After searching Amazon and eBay a bit for 7" non-touch screens (with an HDMI adapter), I find that I can get 800x480 resolution for ~$50, and 1280x800 for ~$70. This is a bit out of my budget range and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get one for less than $30 or if someone was interested in selling me one for around that amount.
I cant recommend any screens but i can recommend this if you dont mind some solder work. I own one it works great!
http://www.chalk-elec.com/?page_id=1283#!/~/product/id=14647633
Oh yeah, that was the other thing I was thinking. Does anyone know if it is very easy to take a screen off an old smart phone and use it with the rpi? Also, is the touchscreen stuff seperate from the display so I can use it as just a display and not have to worry about figuring out the touchscreen?
If its LVDS and you use that adapter its really easy. It really depends on if the screen supports LVDS and the modes for the adapter you use. As for bluntly interfacing with teh RPI no idea.
I was thinking I would use that adapter. Can I just plug the LVDS wire tape thing (what is that part called, btw?) into the adapter or does it actually require soldering to work?
If the pin out is right it will just work if the pin out is wrong it may take some solding to get it right. For mine I had to make a connector. Wasn'
t that hard. just time consuming works like a charm now.
Ah ok.

Would this thing work too (its cheaper)? http://www.amazon.com/MT6820-B-Universal-Monitor-Driver-Controller/dp/B00NFQKP8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418780130&sr=8-1&keywords=lvds+lcd
For the RPI no because that doesnt do HDMI it does VGA. Sadly they are not compatable Razz
There is no VGA to HDMI converter out there?

EDIT:

Can't I use it in conjunction with this? http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Converter-Adapter-Laptops-Players/dp/B00C0Y6BQG%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00C0Y6BQG

Total price would be around $20, instead of $30-40.
At that point it would cost more then the lvds to hdmi converter. Those go for about 40$ last I checked.
Hmm... so the LVDS to HDMI converter is also out of my price range. I am thinking maybe I can find a used flat screen TV to dismantle and attach to the RPI, but I'm not sure I can find one small enough...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours