So I had this idea, and I'll need help to get it moving. It's called "Hack This Game"

Basically it is a game to teach C to people who don't know C. The engine would be a limited IDE in which the player can only edit certain files until he/she has completed an objective in the aforementioned files. The objectives themselves will be about changing the game/IDE to do a certain task or act a certain way. Basically, a game about hacking the game source itself. Very meta, I know Razz

Good idea? Bad idea? Want to help? Comment!

P.S. sorry for not posting here in a while, at least I hcwp, right? Razz
I do like this idea! Do you have any scenarios in mind at all? Go for it! Smile
Sounds kinda like http://www.hacknslashthegame.com/ I like it!
MateoConLechuga wrote:
I do like this idea! Do you have any scenarios in mind at all? Go for it! Smile

The first few scenarios will deal with primitives (int and float, probably), and be things like increasing the number of view-able files by one and doing math on ints and floats to get file names to unlock. I forgot to mention that only certain parts of files will be editable until after unlock points as well.
This sounds like a great idea, especially if you make use of the "hacking" process to teach some lower-level systems concepts. I feel like a lot of students start with high-level languages like Python and Java and never get down to the low-level details of how programs are laid out, how memory actually works when you're managing it yourself rather than using a garbage-collected language, and so on. I'm very curious to see where you go with this, and I'll definitely have some more ideas and feedback once you start fleshing your ideas out further. It sounds like the first step would be to take ncurses (or whatever you prefer) and throw together the interface that this set of activities would require?
KermMartian wrote:
This sounds like a great idea, especially if you make use of the "hacking" process to teach some lower-level systems concepts.

I actually plan on doing that in the later p
arts (and have it is a point where you can just start if you already know c)

Quote:
I feel like a lot of students start with high-level languages like Python and Java and never get down to the low-level details of how programs are laid out, how memory actually works when you're managing it yourself rather than using a garbage-collected language, and so on.

I started with Java, personally Razz That is, however, one of the concepts I'm trying to teach. If you don't generate good code, then there's no point, really (although IRL people generate bad code that works, and no one cares Razz).

Quote:
I'm very curious to see where you go with this, and I'll definitely have some more ideas and feedback once you start fleshing your ideas out further. It sounds like the first step would be to take ncurses (or whatever you prefer) and throw together the interface that this set of activities would require?

I was actually going to use Qt, because a) this will be cross platform and b) This is meant for the general public, and GUIs without mouse support confuse people not used to them Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours