This is what I've got:

Robot (Ver 1.1 circa 2002)
TI85 (with CBL stamped on the back.)
Black TI-Graph Link for Windows serial cable
Arduino Uno
Linux
Multimeter
Lack of knowledge about calculators

Will any of that help me? If yes, what would you suggest?

==============

Ok, found the manual and I'm trying to learn to use my old calculator again. I'm extremely rusty. But I was able to move the robot forward with this program:

Code:
{322,200}→A
Outpt("CBLSEND",A
Input "CBLGET",R
Disp R

Similar to my experience with the Arduino the robot won't move forward with a single Send() call. I think the robot firmware must take a shortcut and wait for the follow up Get() call. As I learned with the Arduino a second Send() also triggers the movement. I haven't attempted sending a Get() with the Arduino yet.

==============

Update: I've implemented a Get() but it fails because the car hasn't finished moving yet (and its purpose is to report on how long the robot moved). If I hold down one of the buttons on the front the robot immediately stops moving but the Get() succeeds. I expect this will all get much easier and more robust when the Get and Send functions in your library are properly implemented.
*bump* Have you gotten a chance to work on this project lately? I just pushed two commits that should provide the ability to speak to a CBL2-like device as if the Arduino was a calculator, but I haven't yet tested my code. I'd appreciate your testing help if and when you get a chance. Thanks!
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I've updated my sketch to use your methods now. It works approximately the same as before. There's still a delay between messages that the robot will respond to. What can I do to help you test?

One question about your API: why does CBL2::getFromCBL2() need both type and header? I would expect header to be sufficient.
acspike wrote:
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I've updated my sketch to use your methods now. It works approximately the same as before. There's still a delay between messages that the robot will respond to. What can I do to help you test?
Your code looks fine to me; I can't think of any reason why the robot would behave as it does, unless as you surmised the robot's firmware has some kind of shortcut.
acspike wrote:

Code:
{322,200}→A
Outpt("CBLSEND",A
Input "CBLGET",R
Disp R

Similar to my experience with the Arduino the robot won't move forward with a single Send() call. I think the robot firmware must take a shortcut and wait for the follow up Get() call. As I learned with the Arduino a second Send() also triggers the movement. I haven't attempted sending a Get() with the Arduino yet.
What happens if you try a single TICL::sendByte() or a single TICL::getByte() after sending the movement instruction to the robot? It occurs to me that I might also want to try to get Rick from Norland Research in on this conversation.

Quote:
Update: I've implemented a Get() but it fails because the car hasn't finished moving yet
Does that Get() at least force the robot to move immediately, though?

Quote:
One question about your API: why does CBL2::getFromCBL2() need both type and header? I would expect header to be sufficient.
Yes, your observation is a keen one. My goal is to abstract away the differences between TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, and TI-89-style variables, but at the moment, this is only a partially-completed project. There is a chance that API will change in the future.
*bump* I just wanted to mention that I finally got a CBL2, and my friend CVSoft has kindly also bought me a CBL that is on its way. I hope to use those both to test the behavior of a real CBL/CBL2 with ArTICL, and hopefully gain some insight into what's happening with the robot.
Hello,

I also get a TI-Robot from Norland Research.
As I can communicate from my calc to TI-Robot and get back some info from Robot to my calc, I want to analyse communication between them to reproduce this situation where Robot or Calc has been replaced by an arduino.

I cut cable and linked it to arduino.
My robot and calc continue to work properly until I try to listen communication with par_get() function from you KermMartian.

What I try to do is to list all communication like you and CVSoft have made here: http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=224739#224739

=> How did you have done this?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours